cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do You Workamp (or volunteer)

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
To the Moderator: please do not put this post in workcamping forum. That forum is DEAD. And truly this is a subject that is of interest to many who would not think to go there for this.

In another posting I was the target of a somewhat unkind and needling remark of being a workcamper so it made me think.

Why Do You workcamp?

Now I personally workcamp to keep engaged, meet people, have the opportunity to sit still for awhile and frankly I was a workaholic most of my life and it is hard to give up entirely for sure. This is my Second "Retirement" the First was at 53. I also frankly get a bit bored just traveling around. We go to a great many museums and do a lot of things. We keep very busy even when not working. But I get something different out of working that I truly enjoy. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to ever go back to HAVING to go back to work, Thankfully I don't. But I have found that it adds alot to this Full-timing experience.

So Far I have done the Unbeetable Experience (the sugar beet harvest) and now I am working in Alaska for the summer. When we came here last May my friend Cecelia and I decided we would like to come back to work a season here. So here we are (it was -19 below this am in Fairbanks)

Why do you do it?

Is it for the money?

The engagement?

Keeping busy?

For Fun?

Tell us your story and thoughts.
46 REPLIES 46

Totendatrailer
Explorer
Explorer
Sooooo, why do I workamp or volunteer? For one I just plain got tired of having to winterize my rig every late fall! Also tired of the same job and area. We took early retirement, sold the house and hit the road. We pick and chose where we want to live each summer and winter. Sometimes we will chose to work and get paid, but we also get to see that area. Money is money, always a use for it and there's never to much. We volunteer for different reasons, mostly somewhere that we find interesting, doing interpretive for fed gov wildlife refuges or helping out in state parks. Yes we get a free site and all the electric, water and sewer we can use. We have never been treated poorly volunteering and plan to volunteer this entire summer and winter on the Oregon coast. Maybe we'll see a few of you there...I'll be the old guy in the volunteer garb!
Bill & Cheryl
Gypsy & Nu cat
2007.5 GMC 2500 D/A
2014 Primetime Crusader 325RES.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Since this is off track......we really dont need to worry about health care as they are coming out with medicare part G.

CarolynandBob
Explorer
Explorer
We have thought about it. We might do it after we get done exploring areas that interest us. Right now we do not want to stay anywhere that long. Although, we are going to be near Eugene, Or for about a month in Sept/October. My mother in-law lives there. My wife is looking at places to work camp to keep busy. I get bored to easy and would like to have something to do for about 4 hours a day. Won't need to but may want to. We will see.
2017 Vilano 375FL (Bob's Cabin Carolyn's Beach House)
2017 F350 Dually 4x4
8 Year old Pug/Terrier
9 Year old Puggle
8 Year old Boxer/Greyhound

FunnyCamper
Explorer II
Explorer II
interesting about work camping and why some do it.

for us we won't be doing it. I am going for total freedom, the idea to 'work' more is just not what we want. volunteer and help during our old age freedom on the road, sure ๐Ÿ™‚ but the 'work camping' scenario isn't coming into play for us. We want an unscheduled life. 'Must work these hrs' is gone from our life.
Of course as with all in life these future plans may vary ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ We can say and plan and all that mess, what happens in the future will happen!

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:
SOOOOOOOOOO, back to OP's original question. Why do I (we) workcamp?

Both DH and I retired several years ago from state employment (state retirement plan). We have always loved to camp, but we still have school aged children.

We camphost at a local state park for the month of May so we are close enough to home that we can commute to/from school or one of us will stay at the campground and the other at home with the kids during the week. On the weekends, we are all at the campground. We enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, the kids enjoy the programs that are offered at the campground on the weekends, our friends are close enough to come visit for a day or evening, but don't have to camp since many of them are not campers.

Our duties are not heavy as we are there to meet/greet and supply information and not much else. We do have to be there throughout the entire month other than our "off" days. (2 day per week).

We get in lots of camping, give back to the state-system that is providing our retirement monies and give our children the outdoor lifestyle that will benefit them throughout their lives. We LOVE to camp, so this is just a win/win as far as we are concerned.

That's our reasoning.

I find the majority of workcampers I have met to be really nice folks, people I have much more in common with than some others I meet out here on the road. I have been working at SOMETHING or other since I was about 10 and started moving furniture with my step father. I guess I just have work in by nature. But I do like my time off and away also. This is the best of both worlds for me.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Egad! How did this get so off-track so soon?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1968mooney
Explorer
Explorer
weathershak wrote:
I do it because I HAVE too. Gotta pay that high dollar Obama care bill every month. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Don't think anyone is "making" you pay. You can always refuse the coverage and pay the penalty. It is much less than the Ins. premium. But in a few weeks you will not even have to pay that. Just do without coverage like 1/2 the people will do.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
I also have those entitlements and paid to SS from my age of 15 forward. Now retired and awaiting congress to take away all those things we were paying to receive as old people.

Johno02 wrote:
have medicare and SS already, but no government caring except how to get rid of us, and keep all the money we paid while working. Trying to avoid getting sick, but the other, all we can do is try to delay it.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
have medicare and SS already, but no government caring except how to get rid of us, and keep all the money we paid while working. Trying to avoid getting sick, but the other, all we can do is try to delay it.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

bigred1cav
Explorer
Explorer
You will not need to concern yourself with health care cost much longer. Then you can get old sick and die on your own without any government caring.

weathershak wrote:
I do it because I HAVE too. Gotta pay that high dollar Obama care bill every month. ๐Ÿ˜ž

Explorer II
Explorer II
weathershak wrote:
Give it a few years and you might not have to worry about that anymore. You will have something else to worry about though.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Explorer II
Explorer II
westernrvparkowner wrote:
2112 wrote:
Why is everyone here in such a fowl mood? It's spring time.
Personally, I am in a fowl mood because my pin feathers are jabbing me.

LMAO Yea, I guess I stepped in that goose pile.
I need to stop relying on auto complete and proof read.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

weathershak
Explorer
Explorer
Full timing it since July 2012

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
SOOOOOOOOOO, back to OP's original question. Why do I (we) workcamp?

Both DH and I retired several years ago from state employment (state retirement plan). We have always loved to camp, but we still have school aged children.

We camphost at a local state park for the month of May so we are close enough to home that we can commute to/from school or one of us will stay at the campground and the other at home with the kids during the week. On the weekends, we are all at the campground. We enjoy the outdoor lifestyle, the kids enjoy the programs that are offered at the campground on the weekends, our friends are close enough to come visit for a day or evening, but don't have to camp since many of them are not campers.

Our duties are not heavy as we are there to meet/greet and supply information and not much else. We do have to be there throughout the entire month other than our "off" days. (2 day per week).

We get in lots of camping, give back to the state-system that is providing our retirement monies and give our children the outdoor lifestyle that will benefit them throughout their lives. We LOVE to camp, so this is just a win/win as far as we are concerned.

That's our reasoning.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW