cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Why do You Workamp (or volunteer)

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
To the Moderator: please do not put this post in workcamping forum. That forum is DEAD. And truly this is a subject that is of interest to many who would not think to go there for this.

In another posting I was the target of a somewhat unkind and needling remark of being a workcamper so it made me think.

Why Do You workcamp?

Now I personally workcamp to keep engaged, meet people, have the opportunity to sit still for awhile and frankly I was a workaholic most of my life and it is hard to give up entirely for sure. This is my Second "Retirement" the First was at 53. I also frankly get a bit bored just traveling around. We go to a great many museums and do a lot of things. We keep very busy even when not working. But I get something different out of working that I truly enjoy. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to ever go back to HAVING to go back to work, Thankfully I don't. But I have found that it adds alot to this Full-timing experience.

So Far I have done the Unbeetable Experience (the sugar beet harvest) and now I am working in Alaska for the summer. When we came here last May my friend Cecelia and I decided we would like to come back to work a season here. So here we are (it was -19 below this am in Fairbanks)

Why do you do it?

Is it for the money?

The engagement?

Keeping busy?

For Fun?

Tell us your story and thoughts.
46 REPLIES 46

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
shelbyfv wrote:
There is a Workamping section. Why would O/P think it didn't apply to him? Why would you? No, I'm not interested in previewing your threads. On second thought, I'll just report this to the mods. Those who feel the same can do likewise.

I agree with WRVPO on this one. I think this thread has enough general information potential for non-workampers that it does belong here. It might even lead to a bit more appreciation of workampers/volunteers.

The workamping forum isn't being used much anymore because posts get deleted too quickly.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
Why is everyone here in such a fowl mood? It's spring time.
Personally, I am in a fowl mood because my pin feathers are jabbing me.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about the workampings forum, as I go there very rarely. I agree that this is much more of a general question and topic, Because many of us encounter volunteers and workers quite often. Personally, I have no problem that we volunteer whenever and however much we are able to, just for the fun of being away from home, and getting to meet new and interesting people. And it makes us feel good to be able to help others without expecting a lot in return. Some folks appreciate the job we are trying to do, others just treat the help as trash, and way below their level of importance or notice. Unfortunely there are getting to be lots more of the latter.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Why is everyone here in such a fowl mood? It's spring time.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
shelbyfv wrote:
There is a Workamping section. Why would O/P think it didn't apply to him? Why would you? No, I'm not interested in previewing your threads. On second thought, I'll just report this to the mods. Those who feel the same can do likewise.

I agree with WRVPO on this one. I think this thread has enough general information potential for non-workampers that it does belong here. It might even lead to a bit more appreciation of workampers/volunteers.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

JnJnKatiebug
Explorer
Explorer
Why do people on here grip about some of the threads. Do what I do, if I don't like the subject or the person who posted it then I skip it and don't read it. It kinda like whats on television, if I don't like it I turn it off or change the channel. Some on here try to force their opinions on everyone else. If they want to police the forum they need to apply for a moderator job, I hear it pays really well.

Just skip it, move on and let the people that are interested have a discussion.
2016 Chevy Tahoe
2017 Flagstaff 26FKWS
(Picture in profile)

"The best things in life are the people you love, the places you've seen,
and the memories you've made along the way".

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
I can only speak here in South Texas.. a company owned campground.

A friend likes it, grounds keeper.... 24 hour a week... gulf cart.. Free rent, Free electric and free use of washers and dryers.... (his savings of ($2,500) per winter.

I tried to get into it... Manager is a real piece of work.. him and me .. oil and water.. I asked for 2017-2018 season.... flat out NO. . he told my friend he is very short handed for next season.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
shelbyfv wrote:
There is a place for this thread and it is not here.
What is wrong with where it is placed? I am not a fan of the OP, but he was pretty clear why he thought this was the proper place and, lo and hehold, I agree. But then again, I didn't realize these forums had a layer of supervision above the moderators and administrator regarding when and where threads should run. I'll be sure to run any new threads I start past you before I place them (NOT!)

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
There is a place for this thread and it is not here.

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Our experience has been most of our workampers are doing it to stretch their budget while visiting interesting places. They find it very attractive to be able to stay in an amazing location for a few months and leave with at least as much money in their bank account as when they arrived. The combination of site value, pay, location, limited commitment and reasonable hours is the draw.
That is what we find with paid workamping positions. I am sure volunteer positions are different.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We volunteer in national and state parks and also in the general community. We know how low on funds they are and they desperately need the help. We enjoy staying in those kinds of parks and want to help in any way possible. We don't do 'paid gigs' - we volunteer.

When you volunteer you get treated much, much better than if you were an employee. We were considered family. The rangers included us in sharing meals, sitting around a campfire on their day off and gave us 'secret' tours of the parks that few people know about. They really do appreciate all that you do.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Your posts are more and more like that 'info' commercial that you leave on for background noise

I am tuning out. Bye!

Guess the old in your name says it all

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
We camped in State parks for around 30 years. When we retired we felt it was time to give back. We find work camping a lot of fun. The rangers we interact with go out of their way to let us know we are appreciated, not just a warm body to use and throw away.

huntram
Explorer
Explorer
We tried it to give back to our local community through the California State Park system. The problem is that the lead ranger treated all the volunteers bad! I think he Assumed that we needed the "free" spot to stay in. While that was probably true for others, it was not true for us. We went well above hours demanded, was always spot on collecting receipts and had camper's bragging about us, but we were still treated poorly. In pre-retirement job's my wife and I both had volunteers working for us and we appreciate how special they are. This unfortunately put a bad taste in our mouth to the idea of camp hosting. I'm sure we will later try the idea of being a docent somewhere, but NOT California State Parks!

fulltimedaniel wrote:
To the Moderator: please do not put this post in workcamping forum. That forum is DEAD. And truly this is a subject that is of interest to many who would not think to go there for this.

In another posting I was the target of a somewhat unkind and needling remark of being a workcamper so it made me think.

Why Do You workcamp?

Now I personally workcamp to keep engaged, meet people, have the opportunity to sit still for awhile and frankly I was a workaholic most of my life and it is hard to give up entirely for sure. This is my Second "Retirement" the First was at 53. I also frankly get a bit bored just traveling around. We go to a great many museums and do a lot of things. We keep very busy even when not working. But I get something different out of working that I truly enjoy. Now don't get me wrong I don't want to ever go back to HAVING to go back to work, Thankfully I don't. But I have found that it adds alot to this Full-timing experience.

So Far I have done the Unbeetable Experience (the sugar beet harvest) and now I am working in Alaska for the summer. When we came here last May my friend Cecelia and I decided we would like to come back to work a season here. So here we are (it was -19 below this am in Fairbanks)

Why do you do it?

Is it for the money?

The engagement?

Keeping busy?

For Fun?

Tell us your story and thoughts.
Our traveling blog:Brian and Patty's Awesome Adventure
2014 Ram 3500, Western Brown, Laramie, CrewCab Dually, Aisin Trans, CTD, 2011 Carriage Cameo 32FWS 5th wheel.