cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windjammer Rain Forest — HELP, Please!

nomad_297
Explorer
Explorer
I have never experienced this before in the few years I have owned my windjammer, or any other travel trailer for that matter.

For the last five days, we have been camping with relentless rain, The outside temperature has been fairly consistent at around 68 degrees to 73 degrees, day and night, and the outside humidity has remained at 97% humidity or higher for the entire time — my hygrometer for outside will only register a maximum of 97% and that is where it has stayed for the entire five days. To keep the humidity inside of my camper to less than 60%, I have had to run the A/C, so I keep it at about 68 degrees so it will run to bring the humidity level down. This is cooler than I like, but it is the only thing I can do to bring down the humidity to a livable level. If I use my MaxAir fan, the humidity inside shoots up, so I have quit using that unless we are showering or using the bathroom.

What I am seeing is condensation collecting and dripping from all of the A/C registers, around and on the A/C unit and on the ceiling where the ducts are carved through the styrofoam — the closer to the A/C unit the ducts are, the more I see the condensation.

What makes this happen and what can I do to combat it? I don’t think a dehumidifier is the answer because they generate so much heat, it will make the inside of the camper uncomfortably warm.

I am afraid if I let this go on much longer, I will be dealing with mold or mildew in the near future.

Any suggestions or solutions will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Bruce
13 REPLIES 13

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
nomad.297 wrote:
To keep the humidity inside of my camper to less than 60%, I have had to run the A/C, so I keep it at about 68 degrees so it will run to bring the humidity level down. This is cooler than I like, but it is the only thing I can do to bring down the humidity to a livable level. If I use my MaxAir fan, the humidity inside shoots up, so I have quit using that unless we are showering or using the bathroom.

We had almost this identical situation occur years ago in a trip through the Southern U.S. in July-August (we'll never do that again).

We were camping on hookups (but we could have done the same thing when drycamping): What we did was use the air conditioner to lower the humidity (which by itself would have lowered the temperature inside too much to reduce the humidity enough) ... but at the same time we ran a small electric heater to keep the temperature up to a comfortable level.

Balancing the air conditioner setting and the heater setting just right provided an interior temperature of around 72 degrees with humidity way lower then the dripping humidity onside. The outside temperature was around the lower 80's.

It worked like a champ: I call using the two appliances at the same time "a makeshift dehumidifier".
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I cover the floor with 4" of salt. It removes the humidity immediately but my feet start to itch after a few days.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi doxiemom11,

That is quite similar to what I do--except I run a small electric heater. That causes the relative humidity to drop quickly.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run you furnace. The forced air blowing out of vents will reduce the humidity just like it does in homes in the wintertime. We have also used the furnace, heated it up to 78 or so, then switch to air and took the temp back down to 72. That will dramatically reduce the humidity. After a couple hours, do it again. A dehumidifier will also help.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Its not going to help you now, but carry a small dehumidifier with you.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

73guna
Explorer
Explorer
I'd turn off the ac and just run the fan, crack some windows.
Your not gonna beat the humidity.
2007 Chevy Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
I run a dehumidifier constantly in my house....during the summer it rarely shuts off-yes, this is the south! It does discharge slightly warm air but it is NOT a heat generator. The OP would be very wise to buy and use a dehumidifier.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
I’d run both a dehumidifier and the AC at the same time. I’ve done it in my 30 amp RV with no problems. You can probably even bump the AC up to 72 for more comfortable living.

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Mike LeClair wrote:
I'm stumped by your statement that the dehumidifier makes too much heat? I know that some do have that capacity. However, not all of them act as heaters as well. We have two, a NOMA and a MIDEA, neither of which generate much heat at all. Or am I just confused, like usual?

Cheers!

Mike

A dehumidifier is basically an air conditioner with the condenser and evaporator in the same room. A/C dumps it's heat outside, dehumidifier does not, so yes, they will warm up the room.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you have enough electrical capacity, try running a small electric heater while running the roof air. That will cause the relative humidity do drop fairly dramatically in the RV. It will get rid of the "cold clammy" feeling, too.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
I'm stumped by your statement that the dehumidifier makes too much heat? I know that some do have that capacity. However, not all of them act as heaters as well. We have two, a NOMA and a MIDEA, neither of which generate much heat at all. Or am I just confused, like usual?

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
The wet surfaces have reached the dew point. definition

You could run a dehumidifier and the AC at the same time to control temperatures and humidity.

Keep outside air from entering as much as possible and take wet towels outside. Keep showers short and no warmer than necessary. Running an exhaust fan will draw outside air in, so they are of little help while showering and shouldn't be used any more than necessary.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Condensation. Its the same thing that happens all summer on many parts of the SE US. As the air is cooled the moisture is forced out. It has to go somewhere. A dehumidifier is your best answer or live with 97% humidity amd turn the AC off.