cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winnebago’s market position

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Dear all, curious if anyone knows if Winnebago sales have jumped? We are on a trip to Moab right now, and I would bet greater than 50% of the rvs we see are Winnebago. Looking st class C’c I’d say closer to 75%. I don’t ever remember this level of imbalance.

We are very happy with our 3.5 year old view, but that is a niche coach no doubt.

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View
8 REPLIES 8

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, Airstream and Jayco are now part of Thor but when the last employment figures were published they weren't.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Despite what you see, Thor and Forest River hold 82 to 85 % market share in any given month. Winnebago falls into the remaining 15% along with their acquisiton of Grand Design, and every other manufacturer including Newmar, Tiffen, even Provost. Add in Outdoors Rv, Northwood, and all the others, they divide up that 15%

That's about what I understand, too, for the total RV market. Winnebago is one of the largest of the others category, maybe #3 overall.

According to rvbusiness.com, for motorized RVs (as opposed to all RVs), during the first half of 2018, Thor had 43% market share, Forest River 23%, and Winnebago was third with 14%.

Motorized is a miniscule category compared to towables so the numbers in your linked article do not come anywhere close to reflecting overall market share. The only reason Winnebago gets an honorable mention is due to their acquisition of Grand Design.

Towable / Folding
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
travelnutz wrote:
Latest published numbers of various RV manufacturer's employees. Takes employees to make RV's and all manufacturers run skinny on management.

Employees numbers at all RV manufacturing lines plants:

Thor RV - 17,800

Forest River RV - 11,000

Winnebago RV - 2,800

Jayco RV - 2,190

Lance RV - 650

Northwood Products RV - 400

Airstream RV - 300

Tiffin RV - 175

Lots of smaller RV manufacturers.

Yes, Winnebago is very small compared to Thor and Forest River. We live in West Michigan on the Lake Michigan lakeshore and winter 2-1/2 months in Florida and really do not see many of the Winnebago manufactured RV model lines either place. Even a lot less like maybe one a week of Northwood manufactured RV lines. See a lot more Jayco, Lance, Airstream, and Tiffin and of course Thor and Forest River. We live just 120 miles north of where most by far of the RV's are made in far Northern Indiana just south of the Michigan line.

Airstream and Jayco are Thor.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Latest published numbers of various RV manufacturer's employees. Takes employees to make RV's and all manufacturers run skinny on management.

Employees numbers at all RV manufacturing lines plants:

Thor RV - 17,800

Forest River RV - 11,000

Winnebago RV - 2,800

Jayco RV - 2,190

Lance RV - 650

Northwood Products RV - 400

Airstream RV - 300

Tiffin RV - 175

Lots of smaller RV manufacturers.

Yes, Winnebago is very small compared to Thor and Forest River. We live in West Michigan on the Lake Michigan lakeshore and winter 2-1/2 months in Florida and really do not see many of the Winnebago manufactured RV model lines either place. Even a lot less like maybe one a week of Northwood manufactured RV lines. See a lot more Jayco, Lance, Airstream, and Tiffin and of course Thor and Forest River. We live just 120 miles north of where most by far of the RV's are made in far Northern Indiana just south of the Michigan line.
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

steveandjil
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting - guess it was a local deviation.

Steve
Steve Schwartz

2015 Winnebago View

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Despite what you see, Thor and Forest River hold 82 to 85 % market share in any given month. Winnebago falls into the remaining 15% along with their acquisiton of Grand Design, and every other manufacturer including Newmar, Tiffen, even Provost. Add in Outdoors Rv, Northwood, and all the others, they divide up that 15%

That's about what I understand, too, for the total RV market. Winnebago is one of the largest of the others category, maybe #3 overall.

According to rvbusiness.com, for motorized RVs (as opposed to all RVs), during the first half of 2018, Thor had 43% market share, Forest River 23%, and Winnebago was third with 14%.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I understand Winnebago is doing very well.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2018/03/21/1443454/0/en/Winnebago-Industries-Announces-Record-Second-Quarter-Fiscal-2018-Results.html

https://www.fool.com/investing/2018/06/21/winnebago-soars-on-towables-segment-sales.aspx
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad