cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

winterizing question

guscampag
Explorer
Explorer
Who has an antifreeze inlet on their camper and how do you use it? Do you have to have another pump to pump the antifreeze in or what?
9 REPLIES 9

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
guscampag wrote:
Who has an antifreeze inlet on their camper and how do you use it?

All my RVs have a winterization hose for AF,and this is how i do it
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
There should be no issue getting antifreeze out of the HW system. You should remove the HW tank drain plug. I have a nozzle I use to spray out the tank before putting the plug back. When dewinterizing I bleach the system including the HW lines and tank. I pull the plug again to rinse out the bleach.

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with BruceMc.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's a good way to do it as well! Though I like to flush the pink out before placing the water heater back into the system. Trying to flush any amount of pink out of a WH can be a pain.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
I actually take one more step after winterizing.....I then de-winterize, draining the system and returning all valves back to home position as the antifreeze already did it's job, displace water.

Come spring, rinse and go camping.

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
On our Sunseeker, I access the plumbing through a port. Inside, a pick-up hose is rolled up and capped; I pull it through the port, and uncap it, then into a gallon of pink. Where the hose meets the valve, I turn the handle to point to the pick-up hose.
When the power to the pump is turned on, the pump pulls from the pick-up hose instead of pulling from the main tank.

This image is looking down into the area inside the port; the pick-up valve is on the right, tank/plumbing drain on the left:

I winterize as follows:

o Turn off pump.
o Rotate valves on water heater to winterize positions
o Park the MH on a slant to drain as much water as possible out of the tank.
o Vent pressure in WH by opening T&P valve momentarily, then drain water heater.
o Open tank drain; wait until it stops flowing.
o Open low water points just aft of the door: (apologies for the fuzzy image)

o Once all has drained, close the tank/plumbing drain valve.
o Turn on pump, then open all faucets for a few moments, then turn the pump off.
o Pull city water inlet screen, push on check valve to drain inlet line.
o Drive around a bit to further drain the lines.
o Park on an angle again so tank outlet is at low point.
o Close low points
o Turn off tank/plumbing drain.
o Pour pink gallon into tank.
o Run pump momentarily to winterize pipes to pump.
o Place winterizing pick-up hose in pink gallon, rotate valve to pick-up hose.
o Turn on pump.
o Open kitchen cold faucet which is the furthest away from pump, until a bit of pink arrives; close.
o Open hot faucet the furthest away from pump, until a bit of pink arrives; close.
o Open/close bathroom hot & cold faucets.
o Open/close shower faucets.
o Open toilet valve.
o Optionally, push city inlet check valve to get sprayed by pink...
o Turn off pump!
o Pour remainder of gallon in tank, if any.
o Turn winterizing valve to tank; store hose.

Two gallons is usually all it takes unless I screw up and pour a gallon on the ground because I forgot to cap the low water points.. Yes, I've done it more than once.

This post is way more info than the OP asked for, but I hope that helps!
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
What type, brand, and model RV do your have? And a picture of your "antifreeze inlet" would help also to get a more accurate answer.

Ours has a winterizing inlet, a couple switches to turn, and uses the on board pump making the winterizing with antifreeze a pretty simple task. But other RVs may be completely different.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
To suck anti freeze into system , there should be a 3ft hose just before pump that has a valve to open and another valve to shut off tank. Stick hose in jug and turning taps till pink shows up.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
What does your RV manufacturer say? What year, make and model RV do you have?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad