cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Winterizing the coffee maker

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Water in the lines, tanks, traps, outside shower, ice maker, washing machine.

All kinds of advice: Blow out the lines with air. Pump in the antifreeze. Both. Bring the battery inside. Put it on a trickle charger. Use a cover. Don't use a cover.

But did anybody warn me to bring the Keurig inside? Noooooo! 😞

There's a water reservoir in a Keurig, and freezing will ruin it.:o

And I thought we were all friends here.:?

Oh well, the new one is red. Looks nicer on the counter than that old black one.:)
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT
20 REPLIES 20

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
bukhrn wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
What do you do about all the other liquid stuff sodas, cleaning products, bottled water, etc.

Here is southern MN where it got to 20 below zero farenheit last week you have to bring in everything that will freeze.

I keep all the cans of food and stuff like that in a tote that I just carry into the house in the winter. Sodas must be brought in or they explode like little bombs. Cleaning products I just let freeze it, doesn't seem to hurt them. Bottle water I usually bring in but, it can freeze too and it doesn't hurt it.

You even have to bring beer in !! It too will explode if it gets cold enough.
You actually have beer left over after a camping trip ?

:B Depending on where I camp I sometimes bring home more beer then I left with. I shop around for low prices and buy a lot where it's cheap.

dedmiston
We were talking about our crummy coffee maker on a trip this weekend.

When my wife and I bought our current house 25+ years ago, the market was in the dumper and we decided to hang onto our old house until things picked up again. Making two mortgage payments was a killer and I had joked to my sister in-law that I couldn't ever go to Starbucks again. She felt bad for me and gave me a $20 Starbucks gift card for Christmas. I really don't even like Starbucks, so instead of using the card for four overpriced cups of coffee, I used it to buy one of their store branded coffee makers for $19 plus tax.

The coffee maker was pretty bad then, and it's even worse now. I've bought a nice one for home, but I've kept the old one in the RV for years as a trophy to celebrate never going back to Starbucks.

Oh and the coffee maker came with a coupon, so I got a free cup of coffee from them on my way out the door.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
CavemanCharlie wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
What do you do about all the other liquid stuff sodas, cleaning products, bottled water, etc.

Here is southern MN where it got to 20 below zero farenheit last week you have to bring in everything that will freeze.

I keep all the cans of food and stuff like that in a tote that I just carry into the house in the winter. Sodas must be brought in or they explode like little bombs. Cleaning products I just let freeze it, doesn't seem to hurt them. Bottle water I usually bring in but, it can freeze too and it doesn't hurt it.

You actually have beer left over after a camping trip ?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
wildtoad wrote:

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
We had Keurig in the S&B, got rid of it, when we got the RV, we started with a cheap Mr. Coffee, when camping in National Parks or other Fed CG's with generator hours, we quickly learned that wasn't going to work as by the time the gen hours started, we were already up & gone, so like Caveman Charlie, this is the extent of our coffee technology.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry you had to buy a new Keurig machine but you should have kept the old one for people that like ice coffee.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
harryjr wrote:
Water in the lines, tanks, traps, outside shower, ice maker, washing machine.

All kinds of advice: Blow out the lines with air. Pump in the antifreeze. Both. Bring the battery inside. Put it on a trickle charger. Use a cover. Don't use a cover.

But did anybody warn me to bring the Keurig inside? Noooooo! 😞

There's a water reservoir in a Keurig, and freezing will ruin it.:o

And I thought we were all friends here.:?

Oh well, the new one is red. Looks nicer on the counter than that old black one.:)

Ahhh, thanks for the humor.
You can scratch all those tasks off your list by leaving your trailer plugged in and furnace set above 32*

Of course we do winterize but never have to unload/unpack any liquids including dumping the Keurig and battery stays put.
We've had a very harsh winter as many are well aware and to date, have only used (3) 30# tanks of propane.

If this is not an option.....disregard.

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. No flowers please.
The funeral service was private due to Covid restrictions.
We are grieving, but looking forward to new & different adventures with our new friend. Our former friend will never be forgotten.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Harry, you need the one cupper model like we have. 😉

pbeverly
Nomad
Nomad

Sorry I forgot to warn you. 😉 But, in my camper I use a peculator on the stove top. I don't worry about it freezing. 🙂

At the end of the day nothing beats peculator coffee, especially a non modern one. New ones perc too fast.
Ridgeway, SC
2019 26DBH Grey Wolf

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry for your loss, Harry, may she rest in peace. 😉

I use an Aeropress, but heard recently about the Chulux K-cup machine. Amazon reviews say it doesn't have those water lines that never empty out in use. Only 800 watt draw. Hmm, I guess my Aeropress still works.... 🙂
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Lesson Learned. I lost an inexpensive pressure washer to freezing in my shed. TT Coffee maker comes in the house, TT toaster comes in to, impossible to get all the crumbs out, etc.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
With one exception is is not possible to get all the water out of a Kureg. that excepetion is the lowest model on the list (I think it's a 10) it's the only one that does not hold water when not in use.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Guy_Roan
Explorer
Explorer
What the instructions with our new dishwasher it said to pour some pink stuff in the sump, turn it on for a few second and then immediately turn it off so it doesn't get pumped out. When ready to use it againjust run a few cycles of fresh water through it.

Perhaps something similiar could be done for your coffee maker

Guy