cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Winterizing the coffee maker

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
Water in the lines, tanks, traps, outside shower, ice maker, washing machine.

All kinds of advice: Blow out the lines with air. Pump in the antifreeze. Both. Bring the battery inside. Put it on a trickle charger. Use a cover. Don't use a cover.

But did anybody warn me to bring the Keurig inside? Noooooo! ๐Ÿ˜ž

There's a water reservoir in a Keurig, and freezing will ruin it.:o

And I thought we were all friends here.:?

Oh well, the new one is red. Looks nicer on the counter than that old black one.:)
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT
20 REPLIES 20

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well...I don't use a Keurig, and I'm sorry to hear you had that issue.

One thought...perhaps your last "cups of coffee" for the season should be made with Vodka instead of water? LOL

And I have NO IDEA if heating up vodka would cause it to catch fire...so use this advice carefully...maybe brew it out over the firepit? ๐Ÿ˜‰

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not just a Keurig, but a lot of coffee makers have a spot where water settles. We lost one, and now we bring it inside for storage.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

harryjr
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
What do you do about all the other liquid stuff sodas, cleaning products, bottled water, etc.

Since the camper is on a pad at the house, it's not a big deal to bring anything liquid inside. Same with anything that might attract rodents. Just didn't think about the water reservoir in the coffee maker.
Called Keurig to see about repair and that was a no go, but they were nice enough to give us a significant discount on the replacement.
Harry Jr.
Southeastern CT

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
What do you do about all the other liquid stuff sodas, cleaning products, bottled water, etc.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
harryjr wrote:
Water in the lines, tanks, traps, outside shower, ice maker, washing machine.

All kinds of advice: Blow out the lines with air. Pump in the antifreeze. Both. Bring the battery inside. Put it on a trickle charger. Use a cover. Don't use a cover.

But did anybody warn me to bring the Keurig inside? Noooooo! ๐Ÿ˜ž

There's a water reservoir in a Keurig, and freezing will ruin it.:o

And I thought we were all friends here.:?

Oh well, the new one is red. Looks nicer on the counter than that old black one.:)

Sorry I forgot to warn you. ๐Ÿ˜‰ But, in my camper I use a peculator on the stove top. I don't worry about it freezing. ๐Ÿ™‚

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
I have found it impossible to get all the water out of a Keurig. So part of winterizing our non-fulltime trailer was to take the thing home.

Now as full-timers, we haven't had the interior temperature get low enough to freeze anything, but taking the Keurig with us to a motel is part of the emergency evacuation plan.

For no other reason than I don't want to deal with a motel coffee maker.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT