cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you back a camper for someone?

Reader1
Explorer
Explorer
My husband returned home yesterday after over a month in hospitals and a Rehabilitation Center. He has been diagnosed with Guillain Barre Syndrome. He has regained the ability to walk with a walker or rollator, has regained some of his use of hands and arms and his double vision is improving. He approached therapy has he has all of his 71 years, he said more, they said rest, he said faster, they said slow down. Now he will receive outpatient PT/OT but I know he will thrive if we can travel some. It may be many months before he can drive.
We downsized to a 21 ft. TT. I know I can drive the truck, pull it, unhitch and do the complete set up and close up. I also know that if I try to back it, it could be a disaster! If we camp close to home our son, son-in-law could back it for me. If we went further I am afraid that I would not be able to back it. He is an eternal optimist and says I will do fine. So my question is this. If you saw a person struggling to back, would you be willing just to back it for her?
30 REPLIES 30

QCMan
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, I would also help or jump in and do it for you. That said, it is not rocket science. As stated above, your mirrors are your friends. When backing, put your favorite driving hand on the bottom of the wheel and move it in the direction you want the trailer to go. Relax, take your time and be patient. No skill is attained instantly. Enjoy the experience as it is another rewarding part of camping.

2020 Keystone Cougar 22RBS, Ram 1500, two Jacks and plenty of time to roam!
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. A.E.
Good Sam Life Member

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have backed several rv's in for folks but I will have to be asked to help. Get pull thru's when you can for now.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
A few times I have walked along side and told which way to turn the wheel. Every time they said it was easier then they thought. If someone walks you thru it you will see how easy it is.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most certainly. But you need to wave me over. I would not be inclined to intrude unless asked.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sure, I would have no issue helping someone back their TT into a site. My DW is the same way, she can do most everything as it pertains to hitching/unhitching, but hates to back our rig into a site. She has practiced a little lately and has started to improve her backing skills, I tell her not to hurry or worry who's watching, and don't be afraid to start again as you can pretty much tell from the get go if your are off track. I still do it most of the time although with all the practice she will do it from time to time. Glad you are going to take your DH RVing, I know it will do wonders for his overall wellbeing.

dedmiston
Years ago a friend of ours was badly injured at camp (blew out his knee and needed it replaced). We all helped out by packing them up and babysitting their daughters (and doing a TON of dishes) while his wife took him to the ER to get temporarily fixed up.

His wife drove him home and parked their trailer on the street when they got there. The next day I drove over there and parked their trailer behind their hose for them, because it was too tight and scary for her to back it up.

So yes, there are helpful people in the world.

This isn't an all or nothing case though. You'll slowly get used to towing and eventually even backing.

There are some amazing Youtube videos that teach a back-up parking technique called "The Scoop" or "The Swoop". They're worth taking a look and giving it a try.

The kindness of strangers will be a big help until you develop the skills and techniques to do it yourself.

And good for you for supporting your husband this way. It sounds like he's a lucky man.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
learn that those mirrors on the rv are your friend. you can do it. just like baking a cake.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Will you be perfect backing up the first time? Nope!
Will it be a disaster? Nope!
Do you think we are all experts? Nope!
Practice with a friend. Slow and study.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Seon
Explorer
Explorer
Helping someone backing up a trailer is quite common at boat launch ramps.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have done it many times ..and would do it again

RVs are friendly & helpful
*some can be a pest but hey they are just trying to help bless their little hearts
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you can do everything else, I would be shocked if you couldn't back it in. Get some practice in a big empty parking lot and take your time (try to avoid arriving at the start of a busy holiday weekend).

That said, I would certainly help. I would probably have you drive and walk along side coaching you rather than taking the wheel from you.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think you would have any problem finding a fellow camper to help you out. Be aware, however the park employees may have a strict rule against driving any guest's vehicles. That is the case at our parks since our insurance strictly forbids it and uses bold print to make the point that they will not provide any liability coverage for us should an employee be driving a guest's vehicle and an accident occurs. So please don't get upset with them if they tell you they can't help, it isn't personal.

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Sjm9911 is absolutely right. Practice in a big empty parking lot and youโ€™ll be an expert in no time. Twice I arrived at a camp site suffering from pneumonia and couldnโ€™t back my rig. A fellow camper quickly volunteered and had us in position in just minutes. RVers are usually great people.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

schlep1967
Explorer III
Explorer III
Yes, I would. And yes, I have.
A family must have made last minute reservationsat a very busy amusement park campground. They were in a site a row away from us and moved to the site across from us right after we got there and it took quite a while for them to get into the site. The next day they are carrying items 2 sites down. They had to move again. The driver asked me what the best way was to do it. I told her how I would do it. And she asked if I could do it for her. 3 minutes later it was in their new site.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I think your not giving yourself enough credit. Dont be afraid of it and practice in a parking lot some. You will do fine, if not im sure others at the campground will help you. Give it a go, you may surprise yourself.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.