cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Would you feel good about selling 3 YO LT Tires?

Vulcaneer
Explorer
Explorer
Was in a RV tire discussion with a neighbor. We both feel LT's are the way to go on our trailers. He has had good luck taking his tires out to 5 years before replacement. Me? I prefer the 3 year replacement rule. His thought was that if I replace my LT's at three years, I could probably offer them up for sale, to be used on a light pickup truck. It could be a way to recoup some value. If that is the case, he might replace his tires earlier than he does now.

Footnote...sometimes some interesting ideas comes out of beer discussions around the campfire.

Frankly I never thought about it before. But he could have a valid point. And if the tires then get daily usage, they might actually last until the tread wears out. And at half price (or less), could be a good value to someone that can use them. Then use apply the proceeds to the cost of new tires, so the replacement tires cost less out of pocket.

For the way I use my truck, I would never spend the money for used tires like that. But I can see where some local small businesses just might like to have them. And they could work for those applications.

What would be your thoughts?
'12 F350 SB, CC, SRW, 6.7 PSD, 3.55 RAR, 6 spd auto
2015 DRV 38RSS 'Traditions'
Pullrite Super Glide 18K

Retirement = It's all poops and giggles....UNTIL someone Giggles and Poops.
18 REPLIES 18

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Shoot I got an extra set of 16 inch LT's ( for Off road use) I had on my 91 F-250 still setting in the garage . Bet they don't have 10,000 miles in em. Have listed on Craigslist every year for the last 15 yrs.. not a single hit ..not even a scammer hit. Anyone interested ....LOL!
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker ๐Ÿ˜‰

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I sold XPS Ribs after 6.5 years use and around 40K+ miles. They had about 65 percent tread left and got $200 on CL for the four. Guy had an old beater truck that he drove to the dump once in a while and was happy to get them.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Put new tires on my F350...5 year old Goodyear Wranglers with about 20K on them......sold them on CL in 1 day for 40 bucks each.
cpaulsen

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I'd wager that if you left your 3yo tires at the tire store they went on another vehicle after you left. They were sold or went on an employee's vehicle.

X2, I can only imagine how much thread was left on them after being used on a vacation trailer.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sold the original GY G tires and aluminum wheels including the spare that were 5 years old on CL for $1,000.00. The person knew how old they were and was installing on a utility trailer. Also sold another 5 year old set of GY G's on CL for $400.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

kvangil
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

I would feel real silly selling perfectly good tires.

X2. ๐Ÿ™‚
2004 Jayco X23b
2005 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4x4

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

I would feel real silly selling perfectly good tires.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I'd wager that if you left your 3yo tires at the tire store they went on another vehicle after you left. They were sold or went on an employee's vehicle.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Huummm....I sold four 14 year old Marathons on 15 wheels for $150..

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
I just gave away a six pack of tires off of my 'C' to a friend that can use them for local use only on a service van. Plenty of tread, but they were on a 'C' that hadn't been used for 2 years. Unless you're a full timer, tires are already past their safety window before the tread wears out. And I didn't want a blowout 500 miles from home. My RV dealer drills holes in the sidewalls of MH tires that they replace to keep people from taking them from the scrap heap and using them.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
When I was young and broke, we all ran our cars on used tires or recap rejects.
Even within the last 10 years, I have gone to a tire store and bought "take-offs", tires that people had replaced for one reason or another.
So, yes, I would sell used tires and think nothing of it, "As is, where is, no warranty expressed or implied!"
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I would have no problem putting 3 year old tires on my truck. I only get around 40,000 miles/set, and that would put them as less than 6 years old at the end of their life.

I have had Discount Tire give me credit for tires I was switching out that they thought had useful tread life.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I have always thought if the tires are not good enough for me they are not good enough for another person. I do not know what happens to our tires after new tires are bought at the 5 year time limit for me. With no real wear somebody would think they are almost new.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

calamus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a flat bed and a horse trailer that gets My Old truck tires. and Old camper tires. I would spend a ton of $$ if I bought new tires for everything every 5 years. I run them out till they blow on the horse trailer.
2015 3500HD Chevy Dually Duramax, 2008 Sundance 2014 22'SSX bennington pontoon