cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Yes!! I found a way to RV during this awful Covid isolation!

CoachPotato
Explorer
Explorer
Yes... as a matter of fact, I am very afraid of this coronavirus! At 76 years and lots of heart history, I cannot get exposed to this dreaded plague. But I was going stir-crazy at home.

Then it dawned on me... I am at home, and alone, aboard the coach! The one thing we absolutely do have to do, regardless, is eat. As I've done for three years, I pick up our groceries via Walmart's grocery pickup program without having to go into the store. I could easily order groceries at a Walmart far from home - and use the coach!

So, I ordered two weeks of groceries at the Marysville, CA Walmart, about 100 miles north of my home near Stockton, CA. And with my twin sis and hubby living only 25 miles north of that store, I'd spend the night there aboard the coach as we always do when we visit them. I'd make the grocery trip a two day trip aboard the coach!

Four weeks ago I did just that, and greatly enjoyed myself although my dear Wifey chose not to join me. She doesn't need an RV adventure nearly as often as I do, so she stays home when I make these grocery runs, as she often does on my long, multi-week adventures, too. Choice is a good thing in a marriage!

I made the same trip again two weeks ago (except to the Yuba City Walmart as it's a bit more on my route. Yuba City and Marysville are twin cities separated only by the Feather River.) That second trip, I also picked up my sister's grocery order. She's disabled with Parkinson's Disease, and her hubby cares for her full time. During my visit the first time, I asked if they'd like to order online, too, and I'd pick up their order at the same time - and they loved the idea! So that second trip, two weeks ago, I did just that - and they were delighted!

I'm heading out for the third RV grocery run tomorrow! I'll get to spend another night aboard the coach, deliver my sis and hubby's grocery order, and arrive home the next day with two weeks worth of groceries for Wifey and me. We're lovin' it!

And a bonus... somehow, a station in their town of Gridley, CA sold Diesel 2 for just $2.20 two weeks ago. At that price I filled up although I had room for only 33 gallons in my 90 gallon tank. This week they're selling the stuff for just $2.06 - and I'll stuff on all I can again! I cannot understand how they can sell so cheaply when 25 miles away it sells for $2.90 to $3.70. In my town, the best price is $3.10!

As usual, those trips are recorded on my personal website. If you're easily entertained, you might find them a bit interesting. Nearly every RV trip we've ever taken is recorded there, and that includes 46 states over about 15 years Here's a link to my first post about this C-virus, about a month ago. At the bottom of that page, in very small type, is a link to the prior and next trip, if you're so inclined.
23 REPLIES 23

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Right on coach potato!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We live in our motorhome fulltime anyway, so all we're missing is our usual change of scenery every few weeks. Never the less we do like to head out once in awhile to warm up the engine and running gear. What we do is head for one of our favorite restaurants that has take out available, and then leisurely eat our meal in their parking lot before heading back to our home site. We hadn't thought about combining that with a grocery run, but I don't see any reason not to.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Good for you, it sounds great! ๐Ÿ™‚
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I like your idea.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
You're on the right track. The clock doesn't stop ticking. Believe it or not, here in northern Mexico they have really clamped down. Stopping drivers without masks, sending me home because I went out for a run and now confined to my road, all businesses are being checked to make sure they are essential.

We may just have to take a chance and take the TT out for a spin to our resort about an hour south of us. I can't do much more around the house. Enough painting, remodeling, fixing, and that darn yardwork. The gardener refuses to come.

So thanks for the motivation!
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

lakeside013104
Explorer
Explorer
At 76 years young, do as you wish with respect to your grocery / RV routine. That is thinking outside the box. Good for you.

Stay safe.

Lakeside

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
What a great idea AND I had a good chuckle.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Yosemite_Sam1
Explorer
Explorer
You are making us envious.

I think you can actually do boondocking on open (not gated) BLM and USDA sites with your RV tucked inside the forest out of sight of LEOs patrolling.

Actually looking at Lassen, Shasta and Plumas areas to do that, lol.

dedmiston
Clever.

I'm getting the itch too. I never would have thought to take out the RV under the guise of fetching groceries. That's such a dude-move. I love it. :B

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230