cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Concerned about the camping sites in the U.S.

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
I'm a new comer & as my wife tells me, am addicted to these forums since joining. I have my concerns because I have been reading a lot about how the sites for Rv's or TT's are very tight. Is this true? Or has it been exaggerated some what? E.G. "So small you can't open the slide out". At what % would you say this is the case?
My wife & I cycle toured the West coast from Vancouver to Mexico back in '99 & the camping was outstanding for 95% of it, mostly state parks. Didn't bother to check out the RV sites at the time as we hadn't planned on this 15 years later.
We are planning our trip at the moment to cover the entire country & of course invision those fabulous sites we experienced with of course great weather where ever we go. ๐Ÿ™‚
21 REPLIES 21

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
One last tip, check the campgrounds reservation website. Many state campgrounds and private campgrounds are putting site dimensions and descriptions (slightly sloped/level, morning sun/evening sun, etc.) on their websites, some even include a picture of the site to see if there are any obstacles for slides. Ky does for many of theirs, some other states also.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
Awesome, thanks for feed back, I can start enjoying my day dreaming again. 10 months to go, can't wait!

homedad
Explorer
Explorer
Never find this problem at all. However, the private campgrounds are tighter than the state parks. And the popular state parks are tighter than the less popular. More revenue generation.

Possumgulch
Explorer
Explorer
Missouri State Parks are excellent, no matter how you camp...the sites are spacious, the cost is low, there are nice facilities, naturalist programs that are great for kids and adults alike. I am not sure about other states, we have stayed in a Nebraska State Park and it was nice also, but more expensive....but live and learn, make memories and enjoy!!
Garry and Julie
2008 Jay Series 1207
Dodge Ram 1500
Looking to Make Memories

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
atreis wrote:
A tip for finding larger sites: Go without hookups. The cost of utility runs is calculated by the foot, so sites with hookups tend to be smaller and closer together.

If a campground is a complete unknown, we'll usually request a site with no hookups for this reason. Once we're there, we'll look around some and if there are empty sites that are more to our liking, request to move. (Sometimes Google Maps, with the satellite view, can be useful for picking out nicer sites - for instance, ones with more trees. This only works at state and national parks, where reservations are for a specific site. Private campgrounds usually don't do site-specific reservations unless you're a regular.)

In general, all else being equal: State Parks have larger sites than private campgrounds. National Parks have larger sites than State Parks. National Forests and COE campgrounds have larger sites than National Parks. Dispersed sites are the largest of all (duh).
Also in general: Ocean front or lake front, where the ocean or lake is the main attraction, sites tend to be smaller. (Ontario PPs are often an exception to this one.)

This is all a gross over-generalization - there are exceptions to everything - but we've found it to be a useful guideline when visiting a place for the first time.

?????? Never seen that.................... everywhere is different....

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
A tip for finding larger sites: Go without hookups. The cost of utility runs is calculated by the foot, so sites with hookups tend to be smaller and closer together.

If a campground is a complete unknown, we'll usually request a site with no hookups for this reason. Once we're there, we'll look around some and if there are empty sites that are more to our liking, request to move. (Sometimes Google Maps, with the satellite view, can be useful for picking out nicer sites - for instance, ones with more trees. This only works at state and national parks, where reservations are for a specific site. Private campgrounds usually don't do site-specific reservations unless you're a regular.)

In general, all else being equal: State Parks have larger sites than private campgrounds. National Parks have larger sites than State Parks. National Forests and COE campgrounds have larger sites than National Parks. Dispersed sites are the largest of all (duh).
Also in general: Ocean front or lake front, where the ocean or lake is the main attraction, sites tend to be smaller. (Ontario PPs are often an exception to this one.)

This is all a gross over-generalization - there are exceptions to everything - but we've found it to be a useful guideline when visiting a place for the first time.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

Oaklevel
Explorer
Explorer
99% sites are plenty big for the avg. camper.........

Depends on the parks Virginia State Parks have small sites & tend to be outdated but are big enough for 20-25 ft campers with slides...... (high priced too)

Some campgrounds will tell you on their web sites the space size..... Example Ocean Lakes in Myrtle Beach SC will tell the space size & if there is a tree or other obstruction......(they have just under 900 sites)... It varies but over all campground sites are not small or there would not be so many 40+ ft campers out there...............

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mik68 wrote:
ljr wrote:
I've been nearly full time for several years staying entirely at COE, State, County and City parks and I've never encounter anything like you describe. The "tight" sites I've encountered were due to inconveniently placed trees not site boundaries

Thanks for feedback everybody, I am less concerned now, my slide out E.G. was obviously exaggerated. We haven't purchased the TT yet but want to keep it under 28 foot as that is plenty big enough when we bring it back to Aus. What is COE? Do COE, State, County and City & National parks have dump stations?

COE=US Army Corps of Engineers. They include several of my all time favorites.

I don't think I've ever been anywhere that didn't have a dump station, at least, nearby. More and more have full hookups. I spent last Winter at 7 different campgrounds and all but one had full hookups. The "tightest" of those was the one without sewer and it wasn't that bad.
Larry

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
I have an aquaintance (Not a Friend) that complains about how tight the spaces are a campground we know well (we might stay there if it were not 15mi from home). He has a behemoth RV with long slides on both sides and he can't park worth a hoot. He loves paved parking lots with full hookups and cable so he can park and watch TV.

The stories you have heard are probably from people like that. There are only two "campgrounds" that are all that tight, one is in central St. Louis and the other is across the river from New York City... I don't think you would like either of those.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We drive thru almost any park we are near when we are camping and we find that those parks with full hook ups are often very small. We do not want to be that close to anyone so we avoid them. Some people have to have full hook ups.

tonyandkaren
Explorer
Explorer
COE is Corp of Engineers. They're the guys responsible for the locks and dams on rivers and lakes. They also build excellent campgrounds. They are engineers after all! ๐Ÿ˜‰ http://corpslakes.usace.army.mil/visitors/camping.cfm

Dump stations and other amenities vary by the type of parks and from state to state. Some are very primitive, some are almost resorts. If you stay at parks that don't have dump stations, this site is very helpful - http://www.sanidumps.com/sanidumps_usamerica.php

With a 28'trailer you should be able to camp almost everywhere. I think that most of the tight site comments are referring to private parks where the RVs are really jammed together.

Have a good trip!
Our Fulltiming Blog

Clickable Attractions Maps

4x4 Custom Class C on F450 chassis

Mik68
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
I've been nearly full time for several years staying entirely at COE, State, County and City parks and I've never encounter anything like you describe. The "tight" sites I've encountered were due to inconveniently placed trees not site boundaries

Thanks for feedback everybody, I am less concerned now, my slide out E.G. was obviously exaggerated. We haven't purchased the TT yet but want to keep it under 28 foot as that is plenty big enough when we bring it back to Aus. What is COE? Do COE, State, County and City & National parks have dump stations?

Jloucks
Explorer
Explorer
It varies from campground to campground. Goto google maps, and look at some aerial shot of different campgrounds. You will see the variation. State parks are typically more spacious.

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
The variation is huge. Many states are slowly remodeling state park campgrounds so they range from (made for tents to small RV's) up to 1st class with large sites, full hook-ups, etc. National Park campgrounds usually have sites on the small side; sometimes hard to back into but that varies a lot also. You didn't say the size of your unit? We have a 26 ft. 5th wheel so most sites are adequate but can't take it for granted. It's best to research the campground. Most will describe the sites, state the sizes etc. and some may recommend a limit. For example, was just looking at a national park site and it recommended; no units with a total length more than 42 ft. For us, 80% of campgrounds are fine, probably almost 100% of private campgrounds.
Jayco-noslide