Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exploring Our Options

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All -

We have been exploring the option of going full time. We have been MHing for over 20yrs, have saved our pennies and believe that we have enough money to do this.

Just a little background, we are 53 and 54 years old, have NO debt and can be this way as fulltimers. We are in good health, have an exit plan if we do go fulltime and have no ties what so ever to anybody.

Now our biggest fear.....We will require some form of health insurance, but really don't have a clue how to go about this. Our health insurance has always been provided for us while working. So, my question is are there others out there that have this question and how did you solve it?

TIA -paul
7 REPLIES 7

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
Check out RVDreams.com (link below) for detailed information on a couple just a bit younger than you are doing it. They have a very detailed website with tons of information.

http://www.rv-dreams.com/health-insurance.html

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
sdianel wrote:
I would start with the Massachusetts Health Care Exchange site (which is having technical problems right now), however their plans usually have in network restrictions to keep costs lower. It is my understanding that you must go through the exchange to get the federal subsidy. If the Massachusetts Exchange site doesn't pan out, I would check into Massachusetts Blue Cross Blue Shield. Make sure it's a PPO with national coverage. HMO's restrict care to network hospitals and doctors and if you go outside their network, you pay a much higher out of pocket. Another national company you could check with is United Health Care. Warning: It won't be cheap.

We will NOT be a resident of Mass when we go fulltime....Period! At this point our employer provides our health care. We are looking into either SD or Texas as a place of domicile. My wifes employer offers retirement health insurance and we are also looking into this, but she needs to be 55 to get it and we need to understand the cost and all of the rules surrounding her plan.

-paul

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
SORRY, double post.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are both retired....me from law enforcement and he from teaching. Unlike most retirees, we have two daughters, ages 7 and 10. I went out on disability, but did have enough time for my full retirement. DH went out with 33 years. We are both 50+.

We were paying $1800 per month for health insurance through DH's work after his retirement. We did the healthcare.gov thing and now have Anthem Healthkeepers, which has as good a coverage as we had under the old insurance, but it's now costing us $984/month. That's still a lot of money, but is much better than it was.

We hope to take the girls out of school to travel around and do a lot of the western NPs. Right now, we travel just during summer break, Christmas break and spring break.

Hope you have a great time.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would start with the Massachusetts Health Care Exchange site (which is having technical problems right now), however their plans usually have in network restrictions to keep costs lower. It is my understanding that you must go through the exchange to get the federal subsidy. If the Massachusetts Exchange site doesn't pan out, I would check into Massachusetts Blue Cross Blue Shield. Make sure it's a PPO with national coverage. HMO's restrict care to network hospitals and doctors and if you go outside their network, you pay a much higher out of pocket. Another national company you could check with is United Health Care. Warning: It won't be cheap.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hello All -

We have been exploring the option of going full time. We have been MHing for over 20yrs, have saved our pennies and believe that we have enough money to do this.

Just a little background, we are 53 and 54 years old, have NO debt and can be this way as fulltimers. We are in good health, have an exit plan if we do go fulltime and have no ties what so ever to anybody.

Now our biggest fear.....We will require some form of health insurance, but really don't have a clue how to go about this. Our health insurance has always been provided for us while working. So, my question is are there others out there that have this question and how did you solve it?

TIA -paul

You might find what you are looking for in the Escapees web pages; or Technomadia; Gone with the Wynns; NuRvers; RV lifestyle experts; etc.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry - this was meant for the Fulltime group. I've sent an email to the moderator asking if they could move this.

-paul