cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boarding dog in Chama New Mexico

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
We want to ride the Cumbres Toltec railroad in Chama New Mexico but need to board our dog during the ride. The railroad said the local vet will board dogs but when we drove by his place it is a mobile vet and all we saw was a pen outside with some straw in the bottom. We also read a bad review on the vet. Has anyone used this vet for boarding or know of another option?
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss
7 REPLIES 7

NEOK
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone who replied.
neok
2009 GMC 25000HD Short Bed 6.0 Gas Engine Crew Cab SLT 4x4
2008 Bigfoot 15C9.5FS
Torklift Talons, Fastguns, Stableload Quick Disconnects, Superhitch & SuperTruss

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Home on Wheels wrote:
If it has bad reviews, why do you want to risk it? :h

For me it would depend on the content that f the reviews. Many people more typically leave their pets at "resorts". So if they don't get play time, individual one on one time, snack time, air conditioning, etc the reviews are going to be poor.

Home_on_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
If it has bad reviews, why do you want to risk it? :h

Tin-bender
Explorer
Explorer
We used that Boarding facility in June 2015 while we rode the train.
As you described it is a chain link kennel with straw bedding, nothing fancy but more than adequate with fresh water available. What more do you need?

The dogs were safe, protected from the weather, and un-bothered while we rode the train. No body groomed them, bathed them or painted their toenails while we were gone, they just had to stay in a kennel and wait.

As pointed out there is not a lot of choices available in the area. And, what difference does it make if the vet clinic is mobile? the kennels are stationary:).

Nobody is fussier about dogs than my wife and yet we all managed to live through the experience of the Chama Vet Kennels.

Have fun riding, take the bus to Antonito and ride the train back to Chama.
Tinbender

RBak
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have to board the train in Chama? There seems to be more places in southern Colorado, like in Monte Vista or Alamosa. There are vets in both places and the reviews are good. I just would not trust my dog with any vet, especially a mobile one. If it means you have to ride from Antonito to Chama, I would rather do it that way rather than leave your dog at someplace where it would not get good care. We've always researched where we leave our dog for day care, and so far have had good experiences. Yes, it's a longer drive to drop off and pick up your pet, but my dog's safety and well being are the most important thing. Good luck, and I hope you find a place that is good for your dog and will give you peace of mind on your train ride.

Rita
Buttons, the princess sheltie

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I can't help. And unfortunately neither could google. It showed no results for any dog boarding in Chama, nearest being in Pagosa.

Oops! Above poster did a better google search. But Coronado Pet Hospital appears to be a long ways away.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see a Coronado Pet Hospital that serves that area that has dog boarding and a 5 star rating. I just did a google search.