cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canine Grain Free Food

LakeN
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has a grain free dog food that is fabulous. Currently have my Aussie on Petsmart Authority grainfree. All is well except that she seems to be putting on a few extra pounds. Then there's the fact that the food is frequently difficult to obtain. Tried the 4Health brand from Tractor Supply and it is merely OK. Does the grainfree tend to bulk up a dog? Is there a weight control grainfree?
Any comments appreciated.
'16 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 25B
'14 Ford Focus Titanium Toad with Blue Ox tow system
17 REPLIES 17

dturm
Why are you concerned with grain free??? Absent a true allergy to corn, wheat or soy there is no proven benefit to grain free in dogs (or cats for that matter). Apparently Blue Buffalo has done a good job marketing.

The grains do add calories, but adjusting amounts is usually all that is needed.

Find a food that your dog does well on and is readily available and you should be good to go.

Doug, DVM

Oh boy, here we go again with a food thread.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

DCS7
Explorer
Explorer
We feed ours Nutrisource. She tends to gain weight in the winter, even though she is an active border collie mix. I think it is because of the colder weather that they instinctively eat more. She is usually leaner in the summer.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just cut back on the amount you're feeding her?
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K