cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do we get Fido to eat.....?

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
She is 15+ and reluctant to eat, especially in the A.M. Dinner is not a problem.

I am thinking her sense of smell is going, fast. And/or her metabolism is slowing down.

Any ideas as to what I could put on her A.M. breakfast to stimulate her sense of smell and/or get her interested ? Don't think one big meal at night is a good idea....have heard that her stomach/intestines could get twisted ??

Thanks for any suggestions
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L
25 REPLIES 25

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
Now that Jimmy is diabetic and can't simply nibble throughout the day, I need to make sure he eats a whole meal in the morning and at night. My enticement? Liver. I buy Stewart's Freeze dried Liver Treats (made and sourced in the USA) and then shred the liver pieces in a nut grinder. A teaspoon or less of liver-shreds makes my dogs true chow-hounds 🙂 It's also easy to carry while camping - no refrigeration needed.
I have done kind of the same thing with Mikko, except I use liver from the deli at the grocery store.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Now that Jimmy is diabetic and can't simply nibble throughout the day, I need to make sure he eats a whole meal in the morning and at night. My enticement? Liver. I buy Stewart's Freeze dried Liver Treats (made and sourced in the USA) and then shred the liver pieces in a nut grinder. A teaspoon or less of liver-shreds makes my dogs true chow-hounds 🙂 It's also easy to carry while camping - no refrigeration needed.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
we let our two old dogs graze. there is food there if they want it. 99% of the time they eat just before bed time

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
My Collies have always ate breakfast but with Mikko getting older he is not interested to much and would rather eat latter in the day.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
mockturtle wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Let the dog drive when she's hungry.

I don't think I'd let my dog drive even when he's hungry. :W
And we appreciate that.:W

mockturtle
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Let the dog drive when she's hungry.

I don't think I'd let my dog drive even when he's hungry. :W
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

dturm
Not to be contrary, but if this is a recent development, it would be a good idea to get an exam and rule out age related problems that could be reflected in inappetence. If this were my patient, I'd recommend blood work checking renal and liver function as well as a complete physical.

If everything checks out and there is not weight loss, no worries.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If she is not losing weight, don't worry about it. Our older dogs have pretty much always done the same.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm 63 years old and my appetite has diminished tremendously from when I was in my 30's, 40's, and even 50's. The older we get, we lose our appetite and the need for food all the time.

Let the dog drive when she's hungry. If she's not hungry in the AM, don't force her to eat anything. She'll be hungry enough in the afternoon or evening, she'll be fine then.

We leave dry dog food out 24x7 for our 2 weiner dogs. They nibble all day, one nugget at a time. Never worry about them. They can feed themselves. But they sure do beg when WE eat!

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 15+ she is not going to have much of an appetite. Don't worry about it, just give her what she wants and watch for any changes to her rotine.

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Feed her once a day. Pets do not need to eat multiple meals a day.