cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How Do You Handle Litter Odor?

davidshq
Explorer
Explorer
I have two cats and I am loathe to let them go. Does anyone else have cats they take with them? If so, how do you handle the litter? They are well-behaved and unobtrusive animals, so I don't expect they'd be much of a problem other than litter box odor.

Litter box odor is a problem in my apartment - and I'm sure it is significantly bigger than a travel trailer! Ideas?

Thanks,
Dave
21 REPLIES 21

RV_daytrader
Explorer
Explorer
DW said I should take our cat with me when I go on my solo voyages ...I said I would when the cat stopped shedding, tracking litter around, and stopped gacking up furballs and barf!!....soooooooo, the cat stays home!!!
YODA...our lil Toyota!
1989 Toyota Seabreeze

dturm
Henry in on K/D (hill's renal diet) when he'll eat it and epakitin - a phosphate binder.

His medical condition is currently a balancing act, he's also hyperthyroid. Treating this reduces BP to normal levels but tends to reduce kidney function. The hyperthyroid is presently controlled on methimazole but that showed us a latent kidney issue that was hidden by the hyperthyroid condition (very common situation).

He's a big cat - 15# and not overweight when normal, now he's under 12#. We're worried about keeping his weight up and as long as his kidney function tests remain reasonable, we'll not force the food issue.

Thanks for the thought about food, that really is an effective treatment of chronic kidney disease.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

SMC
Explorer
Explorer
Doug,

This was about litter, but you mentioned you had a cat in renal failure. Have you changed food? We had a cat that lived another year in renal failure. The vet put him on the Rx Royal Canin food for Renal failure. It sure helped him until the kidney disease finally took over.
SMC
Home is Where We Park It!
2012 Newmar Dutch Star 4346
2013 Chevy Traverse

dturm
We're finishing our second month out and have to report the best litter we've found is Cat's Pride Fresh & Light - fragrance free. It's a clumping, light weight and handles odors while not having the overpowering fragrance that doesn't work in the small spaces of an RV.

One other note, Henry is in the early stages of renal failure which means that his body compensates by increasing water consumption and producing HUGE amounts of urine. This litter absorbs all his urine without forming the paste that makes the clumps attach to the litter box like other forms did. One other plus is that he doesn't track as much litter as the other brands.

Doug
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We simply scoop about ten minutes after the cat uses it, or first thing in the morning if he used it at night. Regular vacuuming to pick up the crumbs, regular box cleaning, and no problems.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

SMC
Explorer
Explorer
I switched to the Breeze cat box system. No urine odor and I scoop poop as soon as it arrives. I usually use the exhaust fan for a bit and no more odor and it doesn't track. We keep it in the shower in the back bathroom.
SMC
Home is Where We Park It!
2012 Newmar Dutch Star 4346
2013 Chevy Traverse

bettye
Explorer
Explorer
We have three cats at home and used to use the traditional clumping clay litter. I was introduced to Blue Buffalo's Naturally Fresh Multi-cat formula. BLUE Naturally Fresh is made with walnut shells, which provide superior odor control and has greater absorption capacity than the leading brand cat litters. We were a bit skeptical about it, but we've used it since Dec. 1st and couldn't be happier. Its much lighter than traditional litter too and the urine odor is gone. Its kinda pricey, but it works.
Betty & Jim
2004 Allegro Bay 34XB

buta4
Explorer
Explorer
Our litter box is located on the bathroom floor in a corner.

Every tome DW goes to use the toilet she uses a strainer and traps the soiled portion(s) of litter and disposes it into the toilet a bit at a time over a couple of flushes.

No odor noticeable as litter is always pretty clean since it's sifted each time DW uses the toilet.
Ray

gijoecam
Explorer
Explorer
We use(d) Arm & Hammer with our fur-babies for the last 7 years.

But the best solution for us was when we switched over to the Litter Robot automated litterbox. No more scooping, thorough cleanings three times a year, and emptied it only on Mondays and Thursdays for years! Seriously, the best money I ever spent on those cats!!

Ohiojude
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 furboys who have many miles under them. We too use Arm and Hammer litter for multiple cats. The trick is cleaning the box. I use one box and I clean the litter once in the morning and once at nite. Every 3 days I dump the whole thing, clean the box with soap and water and rinse with vinegar, then towel dry. People say they don't smell the box, which is a big fear of mine. I am not a fan of litter box odor.

Hope all this info, tips and suggestions help.
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ diesel dually, Curt Q20 Hitch
**traded in-the lemon- 2012 Winnie Raven 5th Wheel**
for a marvelous-2014 Big Country 3596RE
Traveling with 3 wonderful Feline Furboys Milo, Mason and Mozart

Shields
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Scoop Away litter. Have had good luck with it.

Gs
Corky (02/08/05-03/23/09) & Pepper

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
sher9570 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:

I don't. I despise cat odor and even worse the perfume smell of litter.

So my answer to the problem I had at hand was:
Spend about 100 bucks buying all the different brands of cat litters to find one that doesn't allow odor to escape AND one that does not make your MH smell like a giant perfume factory.

I placed my cat with a new family before I hit the road full time and at the last minute his new owners backed out on me the day of the closing of my house!! Sooo, I had to find a cat litter that really worked so well that I didn't know it was in my MH or the cat was not going with period!

So enlighten us...what litter did you choose or did you dump your cat?....Sher

I use to swear by Cat's Pride Complete.
Then of course the stores stopped stocking it, the product stopped clumping and then they replaced it with some dumb lightweight version that didn't work at all. ๐Ÿ˜ž

I'm glad that happened though.
I was off to the stores again and I found an "even better" one that actually works and lasts a real real long time in the litter box without smelling.

I am very sensitive to smells of any kind and in the MH it has to be absolutely zero.

I now use Scoop Away Multiple Cat.
Clumps so good that it doesn't foul the rest of the litter so it lasts longer. And no obnoxious perfume smells wafting down the hallway when the cat uses it.

We're happy again. Yes the cat came with on our full time adventure. He's 20+ years old and has several thousand miles under his belt RV'ing and loves it.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

sher9570
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:

I don't. I despise cat odor and even worse the perfume smell of litter.

So my answer to the problem I had at hand was:
Spend about 100 bucks buying all the different brands of cat litters to find one that doesn't allow odor to escape AND one that does not make your MH smell like a giant perfume factory.

I placed my cat with a new family before I hit the road full time and at the last minute his new owners backed out on me the day of the closing of my house!! Sooo, I had to find a cat litter that really worked so well that I didn't know it was in my MH or the cat was not going with period!

So enlighten us...what litter did you choose or did you dump your cat?

Personally I feel the same way about litter but I would never get rid of my cat...we found that even if you have one cat the one we use up home for multiple cats works great but also Cat Attract works well too.
The key is cleaning more than once a day, it only takes seconds so just sift it whenever there's anything in it.

Sher
Doug & Sher
2006 HR Presidential 34'
2001 Ford Excursion 7.3

Lucy-"Red Fox" Lab...8/7-'07
Bubba,rescue Pom...4/1-2010
Csepki, rescue Poodle...9/15-2001

Hoosier_Daddy
Explorer
Explorer
Scoop it daily. We have 3 cats. Wifey (AKA: The Crazy Cat Woman) swears by the "Tidy Cats scoopable multi-cat formula litter". Perfume scent is not over-powering and we replace it weekly. But a nightly ritual of "Scoop the Poop" is essential.
Friends always comment on how they can't tell we have cats in the house.
TT: 2005 Coachmen 248TBG "Spirit of America"
TV: 2013 Ford F150 S/Cab 4X4