Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How to liquefy pills...?

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
How to liquefy pills...?

Sparky now has to take a pill everyday for the rest of his life and he is not into that at all. He will not even eat a pill pooper without the pill, he only likes real food and his dog food but this pill is for his liver and has to be taken without food.

I am thinking that maybe I can liquefy the pills and then just squirt it into his mouth/throat. I hate forcing it into his mouth and pushing it down his throat everyday and he is not happy about it either.

Any suggestions on liquefying them? He is also only a 9# Chi and has a bad attitude about pills.
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker
2008 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 Auto Toad
21 REPLIES 21

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
chindog wrote:
You can get syringes without needles from your vet, or also from WalMart. WalMart will sell them to you from behind the counter in the pharmacy.
You can find them at farm or feed stores (Tractor Supply, Southern States, etc) and many online stores.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer

Amazing how many times one of the strips I follow has something for a thread here.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
2007 Nash 22M

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
If it's the pill we had to give one of our little dogs, it's a pretty good sized one, too. It was supposed to be a chewable which apparently was well accepted by "most" dogs, but not ours. She did take it in a pill pocket, if I smeared a tiny amount of butter on it. When she was gone, I regretted even struggling with her about it. Sometimes, with an old dog, you have to pick your battles.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
they have syringes like things to give kids liquid medicine that might work they are pretty cheap
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks ... Pill poppers won't work he won't eat them even without the pill.

I got the pill crusher today and the syringe so we'll see how it goes...thanks
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Two teaspoons. Put pill in one teaspoon. Put the other teaspoon on top of pill the opposite way and push with your thumb. Crushes it to a fine powder.

Put it in a small amount of Gerbers 'plain' chicken baby food.
or
Put crushed pill into a syringe with 'small' amount of water, shake and squirt in mouth.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

chindog
Explorer
Explorer
We use a mortar and pestle when liquefying meds. Just grind up the pill, and mix it with a little water, or other liquid. If the pill is particularly nasty tasting, we use Nutrical, or some other molasses base. You can get syringes without needles from your vet, or also from WalMart. WalMart will sell them to you from behind the counter in the pharmacy.
2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G
2012 Honda CRV toad

jspringator
Explorer
Explorer
It may not help the OP, but may help someone else. I put a generous dolop of peanut butter on my index finger, stick a pill in it, open his mouth and stick it all on the roof of his mouth, and hold his chin up until he swallows. He looks forward to his daily Prozac now!
Jim & Sherri
02 Winnebago Sightseer 27c Class A;
"Scout" Springer Spaniel, gone but not forgotten;
"Boo" Chocolate Labradoodle.

haddy1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried Pill Pockets?
2019 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH
2018 Grand Cherokee Toad

dturm
Rarely is the no food rule so absolute that a small amount of food couldn't be used to give the medication.

All pharmacies have pill crushers, small screw devices that pulverize a pill. It can then be mixed with some vehicle (like water or a flavored liquid) and squirted in.

The reason the pharmacy cost is high is because of the labor involved in compounding and making sure the resulting solution actually contains the proper potency per dose. This isn't as big an issue when you do it for each dose.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
The "no food" rule with this med makes it difficult!

You might ask your vet how strict the rule is, and whether you can mix it with a small amount of something tasty. Or maybe doggie is going to be mad no matter what?
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
We also mix liquid meds in raw eggs, sour cream, or ice cream
Mark & Renee
2007 Nash 22M

JAXFL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies..

I checked and it can be dissolved. I check with a pharmacy and it is $35 to have them do this... crazy price.

He will not do peanut butter, or cheese... I ground up one pill and put it in small piece of ham and let it soak into the meat,,, he wont take it from me...but if I leave it on the floor he will come and shake the heck out of it before eating it....

I went and got a plastic syringe (no needle) and will see how that works.

Thanks
Happy Trails
JAXFL
2008 3100LTD Sun Seeker

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

We have had success in covering pills in peanut butter.

My daughter's chi takes his pills covered in soft cheese.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"