cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's now time

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
On Monday I will be taking our 14 year old cocker spaniel in to the vet for the final time. This has been such a hard decision as there are moments that he is alert and seems to know what is going on and other times when he cannot get up without pain and does not eat.

He is deaf but does follow hand signals very well. I have had to put him on a run because he would wonder off and be found scared and confused sitting in the middle of the street. He has a tumor that the vet said is cancer and he has lost about 12 pounds and you can see his spine and all of his ribs. I have fed him high calorie food with supplements but the weight continues to fall off of him.

He has been with me through all of my major health problems (heart attacks and strokes) and has been such a comfort for me during those times. We have 2 other cockers that will be lost without him. They are 2 and 3 years old and respect that he is the alpha dog.

My daughters and their husbands are coming over today to dig his grave in my chosen location and as of now we will laying him to rest on Monday.

I will miss him so very much

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
19 REPLIES 19

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
I keep telling myself that I will not get any more dogs because they don't last long enough. I hope that my current dog is my last but I am sitting here petting him knowing that there may be another to follow. I wish that I didn't like having a dog to walk with so much. My sympathy goes out to you. give him a big hug before he goes to sleep.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone that has to free a pet from suffering knows your pain. Simply, there are no words to help your emotional pain. Unconditional love goes both ways. Sorry for your heartache.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Very difficult time. So hard to lose a friend.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Spoil him this weekend, and know that we are all sending you a cyber ((((HUG!)))) because putting a beloved pet to sleep is so hard....
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

mat60
Explorer
Explorer
Im very sorry about this. Pets are like family or even better. I hate having to do this but its the right thing to do as you no. Take care Dave.
2018 Heartland Trailrunner 24 SLE... 1999 old style Chevy 2500 with 34k