cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's THAT weekend again :-(

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've been praying for rain every evening, to cut down on the number of fireworks lit, to no avail. We live on a large lake, so it's a nonstop barrage of fireworks for weeks (until all the corner fireworks tents disappear again).

I'm lucky that Ben is just "scared" of fireworks - on a scale of 1 to 10 (out-of-their-skulls-terrorized) - he's about a 6. But I've known other dogs who just suffer miserably during the 4th of July holiday. Our "big" fireworks show is Saturday night - Ben will be taking an herbal "doggie downer" to take the edge off. Otherwise, we just make sure his last potty break is before sunset. Jimmy, bless his heart, is unfazed by explosions; and I think that helps Ben, too.

So I'll say a little prayer for all the fireworks-frightened pets. Also remember that this is when scared dogs might run off - make sure your dog has ID!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!
55 REPLIES 55

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Update on thundershirt:

It eased Bat-dog a bit when it was just a stray sound here and there.

It did absolutely nothing for a night of fireworks. Even with the Xanax, she spent the night hiding.

It might work better with small dogs who are used to being held and need to feel that during the night, but for Bat-dog it was not effective.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

MNGeeks61
Explorer
Explorer
Griffey was a terrier mix. He did not like fireworks at all. nothing we could do could calm him down, cuddling etc, OTC drugs and home remedies. I don't think the Thundershirt was out back then.

We did try the Thundershirt on Schatzi, our doxie. It was mostly "meh" as in it seemed to help a little bit, but not a lot. His weakness isn't fireworks, but cars. We take more than a few vet visits for his diabetes and he hates the car as he's in the back seat - is not comfortable with the front buckets either. We actually have a truck with a bench seat primarily because of him - his dog bed fits in the Ford where it wouldn't in the Trailblazer 😛

What's odd is that because of our trips up to our seasonal campground (where fireworks are not permitted) he really enjoys going on golf cart rides. Must be the open air blowing by him. He does the same thing in the truck, has his nose out the window even at 55 mph.

Fireworks are a pain in the neck to clean up too, we've been lucky not to have too many this year. Also very lucky to have enough rain that the risk of fires isn't too high.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
DiskDoctr wrote:
dturm wrote:
That jet noise would freak me too!! I remember the days where sonic booms were not unusual. We lived close enough to McDonnell then McDonnell Douglas in StL and the pilots seemed to stretch their legs periodically.

You hit that nail on the head. It's a particular Southwest flight, possibly the same pilot(s).

It's like he's sliding around 3rd base, surely you know the effect 😉

Back OT...for dogs, you can try putting them in a protective stance, where you stand and put them between your legs and gently hold them.

In many situations it allows to be simultaneously protected and protector, but you are still standing firm and without fear. They sync with their owners' feelings and disposition.

If you're anxious, they are anxious. If you're calm, they're...calmer, though maybe not "calm" as we'd like.

My friends have a dog rescue and I often help them calm and stabilize new arrivals and integrate with other animals. Much (most?) fear behavior can be un-learned and almost always lessened to some degree.

No situation is hopeless and no caring owners are helpless. Good luck as you guys comfort your pets 😉

Gently--You're preaching to the choir here. Especially to Dr. Doug. A true phobia (such as to noise) is a totally different thing than simple fear, which in many cases with enough patience and skill can be dealt with and even eliminated. Fear is almost always a rational emotion, a phobia is not rational. But that difference is incredibly difficult for people with phobias to understand and accept, even with our much greater higher level thinking skills. It's not something one can convince a dog of.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
That jet noise would freak me too!! I remember the days where sonic booms were not unusual. We lived close enough to McDonnell then McDonnell Douglas in StL and the pilots seemed to stretch their legs periodically.

You hit that nail on the head. It's a particular Southwest flight, possibly the same pilot(s).

It's like he's sliding around 3rd base, surely you know the effect 😉

Back OT...for dogs, you can try putting them in a protective stance, where you stand and put them between your legs and gently hold them.

In many situations it allows to be simultaneously protected and protector, but you are still standing firm and without fear. They sync with their owners' feelings and disposition.

If you're anxious, they are anxious. If you're calm, they're...calmer, though maybe not "calm" as we'd like.

My friends have a dog rescue and I often help them calm and stabilize new arrivals and integrate with other animals. Much (most?) fear behavior can be un-learned and almost always lessened to some degree.

No situation is hopeless and no caring owners are helpless. Good luck as you guys comfort your pets 😉

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm lucky in the fact that Mikko and my new Collie, Cooper aren't bothered by fireworks. Bud that passed away last year from a brain tumor was extremely agitated by fireworks or thunderstorms.

dturm
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
My dogs do okay with the fireworks, but I sometimes don't. During the actual holiday, where you're outside watching the fireworks, and expecting the explosions it's okay, actually quite fun. The weeks leading up to the fourth though, when you're in bed sleeping, or almost asleep sometimes those rumbling heavy deep explosions, especially when associated with a bright flash can startle me in a flashback sort of way. Having more than once had sudden loud explosions result in my taking flying lessons, and ending up having to roll over to rescuer/body recovery for those not as fortunate as I was. It isn't necessarily PTSD, just a logical learned response to what sounds so much like the military weapons I was on the receiving end more than once during 22 years of military service. The celebrations on the 4th are fine, but I could really do without the weeks on end stuff, illegal in both size, and date that are so common around here.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

DiskDoctr
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Spoken by someone who has never had to deal with a pet, child or adult terrified by loud noises.

A dog is one thing. But ask me about the sound of jets crashing we hear over our house because some hot rod pilots decide to drop 1200ft in a short distance and bank 90 degrees at the same time...all BELOW the FAA limit of 500ft above the ground 😞

We are quite a few miles from any airport. You can verify it from the transponder maps.

Notice I didn't say, "Spoken by someone who knows nothing about..."

Feel free to disagree, politely 😉 (It's all good, each of us gets caught up once in a while)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
I envy you folks that live in areas where fireworks sales are limited in some form either in type or time frame. We have always had year 'round sales.

Until Michigan made fireworks legal for the public to purchase - we only had to deal with whatever the folks smuggled over the border from you Hoosiers 😉

I too am not advocating for an end to fireworks displays - I'm actually part of the Lake Homeowner Board who puts on our fireworks display every year, and it's a doozy. In this year's case, it was Saturday night, and I had Ben nicely drugged, with a dark cubbyhole under the desk (and a loud TV) for him to ride out the fireworks until we got back. Other neighbors simply leave the area; or make sure their dogs can't escape during that 20-minute celebration.

It's all the "other stuff" I resent - the daytime explosions and nighttime fireworks shooting that go on way past midnight - for weeks at a time. And I don't care HOW much someone loves fireworks - having a huge mortar go off at 2 AM, startling the whole family awake - is NOT "fun".
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
We call those 2:30 AM explosions "Beer Booms", because they have nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with alcohol.

LOL! Never heard them called that before. At that hour in my house they are called the "you'd better get your sorry little a$$ in the house because I'm calling the cops" fireworks! As much as I hate the noise we let a lot ride IF sanity is involved and it's not past 11 or so.

I envy you folks that live in areas where fireworks sales are limited in some form either in type or time frame.

They are 100% illegal in MA but that doesn't stop them. They started with a vengeance last Friday night. Up until today it was very hot and humid so we've had the house closed up w/the AC running so no issue. Tonight-different story. House is wide open and the booming has started. It will continue for the rest of the week with tomorrow night being almost unbearable.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

dturm
I envy you folks that live in areas where fireworks sales are limited in some form either in type or time frame. We have always had year 'round sales. Our Indiana legislators in their infinite wisdom a few years ago relaxed requirements and regulations regarding fireworks sales despite the opposition of police, fire, and ER personnel. They just slapped an additional 5 percent tax on sales and said some of the fees would go towards a fire training facility.

Most municipalities around here have time limits at night - you're supposed to stop at 10 pm except on the actual holiday then it's midnight. I invite you here to see how this limitation is effective :B

I swear some of the explosions are about a half a stick of dynamite.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
Deb and Ed M wrote:

We call those 2:30 AM explosions "Beer Booms"...

LOL!

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
colliehauler wrote:
... So nice for parents to teach responsible behavior.

Amen to that. I don't think it happens as much as it ought to, with my neighborhood probably being a fairly representative example.
Fireworks are not permitted in St. Louis city or St. Louis county without a permit. But, wink wink, nod nod, there are numerous fireworks set off illegally in and around where we live in St. Louis county.

Luckily, Inga just gets "concerned" and "clingy". Probably a 5 on a 1-10 scale. Gretchen was pretty much the same.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

dturm
DiskDoctr wrote:
Fireworks are awesome!

I wonder if there is something pet owners can do to help their dogs be comforted during fireworks, thunderstorms, or other noises?

I also wonder if it isn't a responsibility of the owners to address these excessive fears and behaviors of their pets, and not the burden of everyone else to walk on eggshells.

Spoken by someone who has never had to deal with a pet, child or adult terrified by loud noises. I've spent my whole career trying to address these issues with pets. I have access to every medication OTC and prescription, calming training techniques, diversion, equipment like Thundershirts and I still can't uniformly succeed with every animal (including my own).

"Dealing with it" often ends up trying to minimize discomfort - in our case the shower is the spot most secure after a dose of Alprazolam, TV is loud and we're home.

I've treated burns and concussive trauma due to stupid use of fireworks and dispensed huge volumes of sedatives and spent countless hours counselling owners. I've sutured lacerations due to animals trying to escape the sounds both going through windows and trying to go under fences.

And I don't advocate the elimination of fireworks, just reasonable use that considers others.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee