cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keeping pets cool while parked, no AC in rig?

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all --

My kitty who was attacked by the pit bull has developed diabetes. My guess is that he was going to anyway, and the stress put him over the edge.

I was planning to leave him, and my other cat, in a friend's care this fall/winter, as I did last year, but now I am not sure. I am considering taking him with me.

It would be tight, the two of us in a small van. And I would have to take him on a trial run to see if he can adapt to camping. Maybe you folks have suggestions?

My main concern is keeping him cool during the day when I am out. I don't think he would go for an outdoor cage. I do have a large folding one, but the one time I put him in it overnight (indoors, for a painful paw injury) he clawed at the cage all night until I decided he was doing more damage to his injury in the cage than he would if I let him out. So, that did not go well.

Inside the van, how would I keep him cool? Is there some kind of tiny AC I can run off a generator? A small S&B one seems too big, and too heavy. I don't suppose I can leave a generator going when I am out, but at least I could come back midday and turn it on for a while to cool the rig down.

I tried googling but just found a zillion little swamp coolers, which sounded mold-inducing to me, in a vehicle.

What do you all think? Ice packs?

I figure when I am at camp he can be outside on a leash. I've done that at home (since the attack) and he finds the leash mildly annoying but no big deal. But of course it would be unsafe if I am not there!
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.
20 REPLIES 20

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
I know this is a rough time for you and Kitty...so glad he is improving...I would want to take him with me too...he will need regular blood checks at a vet to monitor his sugar...The hot van issue is a worry though.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
GypsySeniors wrote:
Do you live in your van year-round? If the temp in your van is 90 degrees plus...I don't think it would
Be healthy to leave him in there at all even with a fan...are you giving him medication for his diabetes...that is a tricky condition to regulate in cats especially if you are on the road and moving around a lot...you really need to rethink this.

Well, it is either bring him with me and I medicate him, or leave him and someone else medicates him. I kind of trust myself more, you know?

OTOH, if traveling stresses him, that would not be good. He might adapt but I don't know yet.

Rethinking is what I am doing... lots of rethinking...and I am glad to have input.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
Do you live in your van year-round? If the temp in your van is 90 degrees plus...I don't think it would
Be healthy to leave him in there at all even with a fan...are you giving him medication for his diabetes...that is a tricky condition to regulate in cats especially if you are on the road and moving around a lot...you really need to rethink this.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
Golden_HVAC wrote:
I have three Fantastic fans, and a solar system to keep the battery full.

It worked great, and kept the inside within 2F of the outside air temp!

Fred.

That's a good point -- enough air movement and it can be the same temp as outside. I was just overthinking.

It is 100 degrees where I am now, so I am biased towards AC and my brain is slightly curdled ;).

darsben wrote:
Where are you going IN THE WINTER that will be so hot a fan will not cool the cat off.

I was going to leave early fall. And I think my van got to 90 in daytimes in the southern bits of the US last December, when it was 80 outside.

That and a good haircut/shave will keep your cat a real cool cat.

Yeah, the vet suggested this. I dunno if longhaired cat wants to change his furstyle...

Thank, guys :).

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Where are you going IN THE WINTER that will be so hot a fan will not cool the cat off. That and a good haircut/shave will keep your cat a real cool cat.
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
I have three Fantastic fans, and a solar system to keep the battery full.

It worked great, and kept the inside within 2F of the outside air temp!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com