cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for dog breed the travels well while Rving

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Been awhile since I have been on this board.

DW wants a Dog, looking for ideas. Some background info: DW loves dogs, for me I can take them or leave them. In the past because of this we have settled for the smaller breeds.

Our last dog was a sheltie, we think we were very fortunate that the dog had such a good disposition. This said I would love to get the same breed but I have read they don't travel as well and we might not be as lucky with #2. What everyone's thoughts?

How about other smaller breeds that travel well?

Thanks
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)
64 REPLIES 64

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 4yr old Goldendoodle. The day got him he was 9 wks old. His ride home that day was 100 mi. He has always loved riding and going places, including the vets. He has ridden as much as 800 mi in a day without a problem whether in the back seat of my wifes car or our crew cab. He's not a yappy dog and would lick you to death before anything else

blindeyes
Explorer
Explorer
What I have is a toy poodle. Good thing with them is they don't shed so you won't worry cleaning your RV all the time. They are also so sweet during long travel but is scared being alone which would not happen unless you leave them inside the RV

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Or get a senior dog that will just be happy to have a loving home!

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a shelter although that really is not the best place to see what a dog is really like but some shelters will let you have a trial run.

I got mine from perfect pets rescue (not a sticks and bricks shelter but in foster homes) and I see you are in connecticut....so not far. They have a van transporting vetted and fostered dogs up here every two weeks. Some are adopted right at the van and some stay in foster for awhile until their family finds them. Our girl (48 lb. lab/heller mix) came potty trained (1.5 years at adoption) with instructions where to go.

There are so many great dogs just waiting for homes...never assume that shelter dogs have issues....although before we got ours my husband did NOT share with me his thoughts about them having issues.

We had Mali for one month when we took off for a two month long trip out west. She had never slept in the same room as us (I have sleep issues so I need what I can get) but she had been in the rv a couple of times. She was great. She chewed the rope (we had her tied to the dinette table leg) twice within the first hour. It purpose was to keep her out from under driver's feet which was easily managed with some training and a big foot blocking. Her bed between our seats or she in my lap. She gets out every time we stop...mostly just to sniff and that satisfies her on the multiway trip out west from NY. We stop at dog parks here and there enroute. She is on a long line when we boondocks and I think she loves the fact that there are constantly new sniffs. She is quiet when we are out (not that much without her).

Do it but don't get a little barker!
Do a trial run of a couple of days and in the rv.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Paws4me - sorry.

No worries. It happens to all of us occasionally! I was just really confused there for awhile (not that it takes much nowadays). ๐Ÿ™‚
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Paws4me - sorry. I confused you with Crowe who posted that the OP should not get a large dog. Which was why I posted that dogs are accommodating. Then you posted disagreeing with my statement mentioning a big energetic dog.

My point is that there are many large dogs who are better suited for a more sedentary lifestyle than many small dogs. Just using size to decide on activity level ends up with a lot of badly homed dogs.

I have fostered many dogs over the years. Only with two did I need to make the choice of a younger more active home for a large dog - a 6 month black lab who needed a lot of exercise to tire her out (she went to a home that had an extensive family of lab owners and who were familiar with that energy level), and an adult husky/shepherd who needed extreme mental stimulation to keep her happy (who went to a home and did agility training daily, sledding, obedience, etc., and was never left alone). Every other large dog was happy and well suited to a more sedentary lifestyle with older owners, often not doing daily walks but just enjoying their own fenced yard.

I have fostered small dogs who were far more problematic in fitting into the right home due to their energy levels.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
This is different than your prior statement. Your prior statement said not to get a big dog if you can't walk it

:?

Can you please show me where I posted that? 'Cause I sure don't see it. I believe you've confused me with another poster.

And note that in my previous statement I said "big, energetic dog." The second word there is key. Certainly some larger breeds are couch potatoes. But most aren't, especially when they're younger. We get so many dogs turned into rescues and shelters because the owner grossly underestimated the dog's exercise needs. IME it's far and away the number one reason larger dogs are given up. Certainly there are many energetic small breeds. But most of those can be exercised inside (and with little movement on the owner's part) when necessary by tossing a toy up and down a hallway or around a living room.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
A dogs disposition will be dependent upon both genetics (breed, and family lines within a breed) AND environment (how the individual dog is raised). If environment totally determines how a dog turns out there would be no point in rehabbing ex fighting dogs and dogs from other bad living conditions. Conversely, some behaviors cannot be totally controlled by training because it is genetically controlled (instincts).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

smarty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do not agree that a dog's disposition is dependent on what breed it is. The dog's disposition will be shaped by how the owner raises the animal.

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
The most sedentary dog weโ€™ve had was an ex-racing greyhound (adopted at age 3 and lived with us till his death at 13). A 15-20 min leisurely stroll on lead and he was ready for hrs laying around the house (or trailer).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

Dernhelm
Explorer
Explorer
Don't worry about size or breed! Go down to the shelter and tell them you want a cuddle buddy who likes car rides and walks (which pretty much defines RVing if you're a dog).

Let us know what you get - all agog here.
Dogmom, Railfan, Dancer
Co-Pilots: Nimrodel & Beren
DOTLs: Spcs. Bortan, Dernhelm & Erkenbrand, Rainbow Div. 11/11, 2/09, 1/14
Jayco 17Z, GMC Yukon, GMC Canyon
There's a whole pack waiting for me at the Bridge - I'll have to take a lot of tennis balls!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Pawz4me wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Dogs are very accomodating. With a few exceptions, they can and will adjust to the owner's physical abilities.

I strongly disagree with that. IME and IMO it's a recipe for disaster for a physically disabled or elderly person to get a big, energetic dog. Working in rescue I've seen so many bad outcomes from that. The dogs are generally the ones who suffer the most, but many of the owners do, too.

This is different than your prior statement. Your prior statement said not to get a big dog if you can't walk it which is different than your second statement that says not to get a big energetic dog if you are physically unable to handle it.

My point was in reference to the idea that a large dog requires more exercise than a small dog. This is not true. There are many large dogs that are happy in a more sedentary life and small dogs who need a lot of physical exercise.

Getting a dog of any size that fits your activity level is important. But a low physical level does not require a small dog.

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
Dogs are very accomodating. With a few exceptions, they can and will adjust to the owner's physical abilities.

I strongly disagree with that. IME and IMO it's a recipe for disaster for a physically disabled or elderly person to get a big, energetic dog. Working in rescue I've seen so many bad outcomes from that. The dogs are generally the ones who suffer the most, but many of the owners do, too.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Please do not get a larger dog unless you are physically able to walk, play and exercise the dog.

Applies to ALL dogs, regardless of size. No one should get any pet that they aren't willing to commit to or cannot handle. I don't think this is the case with the OP.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]