cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Motion sickness strikes cat

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
OK, my grandson has an older cat who gets sick every time he gets in a vehicle. We cannot go even 5 miles and he has vomited up everything he has eaten for 3 days. We are headed from AR to AZ next month and I am hoping someone out there has a remedy or suggestion on how to keep this from happening. It is going to get old giving him a bath every time we stop for the night and washing out his cage. HELP please.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity
10 REPLIES 10

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Bach Remedy Scleranthus for motion sickness in dogs. Had good luck with it. Check and make sure, but I think they can be used on cats, also.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

kyonu
Explorer
Explorer
Get 'em high! Seriously, catnip soothes all the nerves in a cat, and enough dosage will keep him from actively noticing the motion. Most of the time they just want to sleep or get petted, and won't even care about their surroundings. Get the organic stuff which is healthier!

dturm
Often times these medication can be formulated into flavored liquids that aid in administration (think tuna flavor :B)

Our Henry is the same way with the initial movement, but settles after the first day of travel.

I don't try to pill him, I just use the injection form of Cerenia. This is the best medication I've found, but it only comes in pill or injection and I'm not sure your vet would provide injections for you. I carry a bottle for us :B

There are a bunch of OTC medication that might be helpful. Rescue remedy for relaxation, lavender oil as aroma/scent therapy (not given orally), ginger is a natural product many people use and I've heard of people using it with their animals.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Hiker_01 wrote:
I've always had trouble getting pills down a cat, even with a pill pusher. Talk to the vet and see if they have the med in a liquid form, then you can fill a small syringe and squirt it into its mouth. If they don't have it in liquid form, ask the vet if the pill can be dissolved in water and then given to the cat (using syringe).

This is a great idea, I will talk to them tomorrow. Thanks.
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Hiker_01
Explorer
Explorer
I've always had trouble getting pills down a cat, even with a pill pusher. Talk to the vet and see if they have the med in a liquid form, then you can fill a small syringe and squirt it into its mouth. If they don't have it in liquid form, ask the vet if the pill can be dissolved in water and then given to the cat (using syringe).

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere wrote:
DutchmenSport wrote:
Our cat is the same way. We got motion sickness pills from the vet. They seem to work pretty well. He hasn't vomited since we started using them. Get ahold of your vet.

How do you get the pills down your cat, we have not ever been able to get ours to take pills, he bites, scratches and will hold any pill in his mouth and spit it out the second we turn loose.

Get a "Pill Pusher" or sometimes called a "Pill Gun". We have 3 or 4 of these, as we use them on every dog and cat we've ever owned. Your vet will probably give you one, no charge. If not, any pet supply store (Pet Smart... etc) will have them too.

Here's a 45 second YouTube video how to do it. Click here.

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Our cat is the same way. We got motion sickness pills from the vet. They seem to work pretty well. He hasn't vomited since we started using them. Get ahold of your vet.

How do you get the pills down your cat, we have not ever been able to get ours to take pills, he bites, scratches and will hold any pill in his mouth and spit it out the second we turn loose.
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

AdamBryner2012
Explorer
Explorer
Poor cat, it's anxiety or motion sickness.
You should call your vet, I'm sure they can help.

Lynn0527
Explorer
Explorer
Grandpere wrote:
OK, my grandson has an older cat who gets sick every time he gets in a vehicle. We cannot go even 5 miles and he has vomited up everything he has eaten for 3 days. We are headed from AR to AZ next month and I am hoping someone out there has a remedy or suggestion on how to keep this from happening. It is going to get old giving him a bath every time we stop for the night and washing out his cage. HELP please.

I have a cat like that too, she just hates movement. I have found that if I feed her late at night before bed, then she has all night to digest her food. It did help a couple of times this past summer. I will be very interested I what others have to say as I would like to acclimatize my cat too.

Lynn
2012 Pleasure Way TS Excel
Calgary Alberta