cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New approach to High Volume Breeders (puppy mills)

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
This may be too political but I thought others might like to see a new idea for dealing with the problem of high volume breeders/puppy mills. This is how my breed's registry has decided to address the issue.
Mark

"The ABCA (American Border Collie Assn) board has decided that next year they will begin listing all Border Collie breeders who register more than 30 dogs per calendar year. The following statement will appear in conjunction with the list:

The ABCA does not endorse high volume breeders. The main purpose of the ABCA is to protect and promote the working Border Collie. Good working Border Collie breeders are not high volume Breeders. It is the intent of the ABCA to encourage Breeders to use livestock working ability as the primary criteria to select potential breeding stock. This is very difficult to do when breeding at a high volume rate."

Donald McCaig
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
10 REPLIES 10

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
It's a good idea. Now if we can do something about for-profit "rescues"......
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
camperforlife wrote:
Great idea, in our area we deal with Amish puppy mills all the time.

I had no idea this existed, but yes - my friend bought a Bichon from one. At 7 weeks of age, the pup couldn't really walk because he had never been out of the cage/crate - whatever he was kept in, down in the basement of the house.

In our area the Amish are the main culprit when it comes to puppy mills. The county just enacted new ordinances aimed at controlling them as they have really gotten out of control.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
camperforlife wrote:

I had no idea this existed, but yes - my friend bought a Bichon from one. At 7 weeks of age, the pup couldn't really walk because he had never been out of the cage/crate - whatever he was kept in, down in the basement of the house.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this is a brilliant idea! Now if you could get the AKC on board.... and of course it won't help with people breeding the "designer dogs" who generally aren't registered. But ANY step in the right direction is a good one!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
I think this is a great idea! I hope it catches on with more breed registries.
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
"Puppy mill" conjures up images of poor living conditions. Puppy mills are not the only issue here; high volume breeders (defined here as >30 pups a year) can and do have very good living conditions for their dogs and pups (an example of a high volume breeder with good kennels would be Guide Dogs of America).
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
Good idea!

Dale

X2. Excellent idea.
I have my own ideas about how to deal with operators of puppy mills.
But, they would get deleted if I posted them on the forum. :W

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
My border collie was the best friend I ever had. He was by my side 24/7/365.

The reason behind the amount of breeders and amount of dogs going up for sale is directly related to the political correctness brought on by those that love animals. I live on a ranch, My present ACD doesn't spend his life in a cage, or on a chain tied to a tree. He spends his life by my side. When I'm outside he is outside and when I am inside he is inside. He is more than a pet. Therefore, I do not qualify to select a pet from a pound that needs a home. To qualify for one of those pets I would have to build a cage for my pet that they would never use. Fencing my entire ranch would be out of the question. I had to purchase my ACD over the internet. I Had him flown across country to WY. Jake lives inside, runs and works outside. He seems to like not being in jail all the time or living in a dog house. My neighbor built a cage for his pound dog. Their dog stays in that cage 24/7/365 outside in WY. Yup, political correctness is creating the problem.

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
Good idea!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida