cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New study on Neutering/Spaying

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Assisting Decision-Making on Age of Neutering for 35 Breeds of Dogs: Associated Joint Disorders, Can...

I found this study to be very interesting. Back in the day, it was believed that all female dogs should be spayed by 6 months of age and all males by 9 months of age. Then, the relationship between certain health problems was noticed and it became all dogs should not be neutered before 2 years of age.

This study shows how different the age of spaying/neutering affects dogs of different breeds.

It's a small study (in regards to the individual breeds studied), but it has some results that are worth discussing with your vet when determining if, and if so at what age, to spay/neuter your dog.

One interesting finding is that of all the breeds and sexes, only two were found to have reduced health issues if left intact: the male doberman and the female golden retriever.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)
14 REPLIES 14

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Walaby wrote:
Don't have licensing in Georgia.

Don't recall it in Washington state when I was there, but that was like 40+ years ago.

On the age for spay/neutering, my vet told me today that my Chocolate Lab pup can be spayed at 8 months. We will follow vets advice unless Dturm has a different recommendation.

Mike

The study states for female labs:

In females spayed at <6 mo. and 6–11 mo., the risk of a joint disorder was 11–12 percent for each period (p <0.01, spay periods combined).

It's 6 percent for intact females, so they recommend waiting til after 11 months.

Might be worth asking your vet about that specific risk versus benefits - not saying to with the study's recommendation, just to rule it out.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry cad wrote:
dturm wrote:
Larry - You are not looking. This is an almost universal policy where pet licensing is done.

St. John, IN Treasurer/clerk wrote:
2022 Pet Tags are due by March 31, 2022. If your pet is unregistered or new to your family, you must visit us at the Clerk-Treasurer's Office to register for the first year. You can renew your pet tags online. Go to stjohnin.com and click the "Pay Online" tab. The cost is $8.00 if your pet is spayed or neutered and $20.00 if unaltered. Proof of current vaccination record is required.

Have had pups all my life, including 2 Westies currently but never have I heard of that. And also, my pups have never added to the puppy population.

I understand the reasoning, just never knew it existed.

:E

From the website I linked, it looks like the entire state of Ohio does not have different fees for intact versus fixed dogs.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't have licensing in Georgia.

Don't recall it in Washington state when I was there, but that was like 40+ years ago.

On the age for spay/neutering, my vet told me today that my Chocolate Lab pup can be spayed at 8 months. We will follow vets advice unless Dturm has a different recommendation.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
dturm wrote:
Larry - You are not looking. This is an almost universal policy where pet licensing is done.

2022 Pet Tags are due by March 31, 2022. If your pet is unregistered or new to your family, you must visit us at the Clerk-Treasurer's Office to register for the first year. You can renew your pet tags online. Go to stjohnin.com and click the "Pay Online" tab. The cost is $8.00 if your pet is spayed or neutered and $20.00 if unaltered. Proof of current vaccination record is required.

Have had pups all my life, including 2 Westies currently but never have I heard of that. And also, my pups have never added to the puppy population.

I understand the reasoning, just never knew it existed.

:E
Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

dturm

Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Pawz4me
Explorer
Explorer
larry cad wrote:

Are you serious? California charges more depending on if your dog is neutered or not? And I thought I had seen it all.

:S:o

Many municipalities all across the country have similar laws. They're not uncommon by any stretch of the imagination.
Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry cad wrote:

Are you serious? California charges more depending on if your dog is neutered or not? And I thought I had seen it all.

Don't make this a California bashing thing please. A large number of jurisdictions all over the US (and even other countries) charge a higher licensing fee for intact dogs. It is done to encourage neutering/spaying so there are fewer unwanted dogs coming into the shelters.

Dog license requirements by state

larry_cad
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I guess, as someone who is only interested in owning a dog, based on their ability to be a "pet" - that I simply don't want to mess around with hormone-caused attitudes or drama or running off to find "love". I let my Vet be my guide.

I agree. I am not breeding my dogs and I am not showing my dogs in conformation where, due to the actual purpose of the competition, having an intact dog is required, so neutering simplifies things.

I don't have to worry if someone brings over an intact dog - because my dog is fixed. I don't have to worry that a stray dog is intact - because my dog is fixed. I don't have to worry about letting dog hang out in the yard. I don't have to humiliate them by putting them in diapers so I don't get discharge on my floors and furniture. I don't have to separate my male and female dogs for weeks at a time. And I don't have to pay a much higher license fee.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think the important part of the study is simply that there is not a "one fits all" age to neuter or that neutering isn't "the best" or "the worst" choice for every dog.

Work with your vet to decide if and when, and leave all the "neutering is bad", "you must only neuter after X", etc, in the dust.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting study. Not sure of the validity-don't have the energy to work with the hubby (a big portion of his job is this type of thing) but it all comes down to what Deb & Ed and toedtoes have said-he's a pet. Will definitely let my vet give me guidance.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Deb and Ed M wrote:
I guess, as someone who is only interested in owning a dog, based on their ability to be a "pet" - that I simply don't want to mess around with hormone-caused attitudes or drama or running off to find "love". I let my Vet be my guide.

I agree. I am not breeding my dogs and I am not showing my dogs in conformation where, due to the actual purpose of the competition, having an intact dog is required, so neutering simplifies things.

I don't have to worry if someone brings over an intact dog - because my dog is fixed. I don't have to worry that a stray dog is intact - because my dog is fixed. I don't have to worry about letting dog hang out in the yard. I don't have to humiliate them by putting them in diapers so I don't get discharge on my floors and furniture. I don't have to separate my male and female dogs for weeks at a time. And I don't have to pay a much higher license fee.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm not in any way suggesting that neutering/spaying is not beneficial - I absolutely agree it is.

But in deciding WHEN to neuter/spay your dog, breed and gender should be evaluated. This study is the first to really look at breed/gender differences and it shows that there are far more variables than a simple "wait til the dog is X, Y or Z age" before neutering.

I really wanted to bring it up because there is a growing belief that neutering/spaying is overall bad for your dog and that it creates an increase in aggression, increases health issues, etc.

Part of that is because articles have been written summarizing studies that state "the obvious conclusion" is X", when the study itself specifically warns against making that conclusion - Dr Stanley Coren did that in regards to a study looking at aggression and neutering. He wrote that the "obvious conclusion" was that neutering, and especially early neutering, caused INCREASED aggression in dogs - but the study only found that neutering (at any age) did not DECREASE aggression.

The other part is because of the general finding that large breed dogs show an increase in joint disorders with early neutering, so people tend to generalize that further and argue that no dog should be neutered before two years old.

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
While this information is interesting, please consider:

This is a retrospective study and can find a statistical association. It cannot conclude causation, that requires a different kind of study (more like the life-time Golden Retriever study now in progress).

Also, the population studied was the group of animals presented to UC-Davis veterinary school. This population probably doesn't represent the whole population of dogs, or even the population that would be presented to a local veterinary hospital (not a specialty or referral hospital).

As far as the joint issues associated, is the cause the greater weight gain that occurs in a neutered individual, or the more rapid growth and since it seems to be breed related, is there some genetic component not just the fact of being neutered???

In real practice (not specialty or referral) the number 1 cancer in un-neutered females is mammary cancer. It is basically non-existent in spayed females when the surgery is performed early in life.

The association with mast cell tumor, hemangiosarcoma and to a lesser degree lymphosarcoma are troubling. Consider the incidence of these when compared to the issues that are increased in intact individuals.

When making these decisions you can't just say "she has less chance of XXX" without considering the increased chance of "YYY." There are real benefits to neutering, both physical and behavioral.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV