cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Poor Puppy - Travel Plans Put on Hold

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
This is a painful story to relate, but it's a valuable reminder to keep your pets up to date on their immunizations.

In early March, we had a new 8 week old Brittany join our family. She instantly bonded with the DW and me. She's smart, and learning very fast. We took her to the vet right away to make sure she's up to date on all her medications. She checked out to be a healthy girl and is growing fast. She had all her shots and heartworm treatment that are needed for her age. However, they don't give a rabies vaccination until puppies until 16 weeks.

Last Tuesday, I took her out in the back yard to do her business. Being a puppy, I have to constantly see what she's trying to put in her mouth. She ran a few feet in front of me, and I saw her stop to investigate something. I yelled at her to leave it alone, and went to investigate what it was. To my horror, it was a bat that was either dead or dying. I don't know for sure if our puppy bit it, licked it, sniffed it, or just looked at it. So I moved the puppy away from the area, and put a rock on top of the bat so it couldn't fly away if it was still alive. I grabbed a heavy duty plastic bag and flicked the bat into the bag with a stick. Then I double bagged the bat and put it in the refrigerator.

I tried to call our local animal control department, but they were closed for the night. At 8 the next morning, I took the pup to the vet to be examined for any evidence of a bite mark around her mouth or tongue. There was nothing obvious, but sometimes bat bites are very difficult to see. The vet and I decided to give her a rabies shot even though she's not old enough. It might help ward off rabies if she was infected. At 10 am, our animal control office opened up, and they sent an officer to pick up the bat for rabies testing.

We received a call from our county health department at 5pm on Friday afternoon that the bat had rabies! Oh my God. The health department asked us to pen up the dog, and wanted me to verify that I'd had no physical contact with the bat. If I had, I'd have to undergo rabies treatment immediately. Fortunately, when I described what had occurred, they felt that the treatment was not warranted for me.

Now, we are faced with some very difficult decisions regarding the puppy.

The first option is to have our pup euthanized immediately. Sorry, but we've already bonded with this little girl, and I can't see condemning the dog to certain death when we don't even know if she was infected.

The second option, is to put the puppy in quarantine at a veterinarian's facility for six months. If the puppy shows signs of rabies, she'll be euthanized and examined for rabies. We could not imagine the living conditions a new puppy would be subjected to in a sterile environment such as this. She'd have very little social interaction during this period, and her development and socialization skills would be hindered. BTW, we checked with some local vets, and the cost for a six month quarantine is $4000 minimum.

The third option is the one we went with. We are going to quarantine the puppy at our house. We spent the weekend building secure enclosure facilities on our property to make sure she has no contact with other animals or people. My wife and I will interact with her as best we can while still maintaining rigorous safety standards. We will not be able to touch her unless we're wearing full protective clothing such as leather gloves, boots, face mask, etc. We need to keep an eye out for any changes in her demeanor which would signal the onset of rabies. If so, she'll need to be euthanized.

We've done a ton of studying to assure that we'll be safe and to make sure that we recognize the signs and symptoms. If there is an accident and she comes down with the disease, we'll have to be treated for rabies ourselves.

Even though the typical incubation period for rabies in dogs is 2-8 weeks, we need to keep her isolated for 26 weeks to be certain she was not infected. So we'll be staying home this summer instead of taking her on the road with us. But we're praying for a successful outcome and a healthy doggie. At the end of September, she'll hopefully be released, and we'll hit the road.

Please make sure you watch your puppies and get them vaccinated as soon as possible. This is a horrible event to deal with.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
40 REPLIES 40

MetalGator
Explorer III
Explorer III
TucsonJim wrote:
Not sure if any of you still are subscribed to this thread. Just wanted to let ya'll know that she's now nearly six months old and doing great. We just got back from seven weeks on the road and it was a blast having a doggie with us.

I got into this thread late but so happy the doggie is doing well!
2018 Miramar 35.3 Motorhome
3 fur kids (Monty, ZuZu and Pinto)
Rainbow bridge (Murphy, Petie, Lola)

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Cool beans!

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

raindove
Explorer
Explorer
That's great to hear. So happy for all of you. Enjoy! Thanks for the update. I was wondering how you made out.
Whatever hits the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Wanda

1998 Fleetwood Bounder

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you had a good trip. Glad the dog is doing well.

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful outcome! May you have many happy years and camping trips together!
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful news..so glad she is healthy and on the road with you!!!!! We just returned from Wilderness State Park in Michigan...our Collie. Sadie is a great little traveler and we always take her RVING with us...happy camping and be safe!

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is the happiest news!!!! So happy for all of you!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Not sure if any of you still are subscribed to this thread. Just wanted to let ya'll know that she's now nearly six months old and doing great. We just got back from seven weeks on the road and it was a blast having a doggie with us.

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
TucsonJim wrote:
Thanks all, and especially Dr. Doug. It's now been 14 days, and she's a very active and healthy girl. Of course we're still being careful with outside contact, but feeling very optimistic.

We've done some research and rabies is frequently found in this part of Arizona. There are typically 250-300 confirmed cases a year in our state. Since we've already found one rabid bat in our back yard and there are hundreds that nest in the area, we conferred with our vet and decided to give her a rabies shot earlier than normal. We've also built a 10'x10' enclosed kennel that is easier for us to monitor than letting her roam the whole back yard.

Great news! I'm glad to hear she's doing better. We too prefer kennels to keep them safe. Of course when we're there, the dogs get the full run of the place. Likewise when we're traveling.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

GypsySeniors
Explorer
Explorer
OMG...how horrible for your family and dear pup...I would take the same option as you...she deserves a chance and hopefully was not in contact long enough to become infected....fortunately they are letting her quarantine at home...good luck...God Bless and keep us posted!

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
Our biggest carriers are bats, coyotes, bobcats and javelina.

dturm
Glad things ended well for you and your family. Enjoy the trip.

In our area skunks and bats are the most common carriers of rabies.
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
The next scariest thing to me would be, "Are there more where that rabid bat came from?" There's probably hardly a dog or pup alive that wouldn't run up to check on something flopping on the ground. Crossing fingers that your little girl will be fine.

If there are rabid bats-you also have to worry about other animals. When we lived on the farm, a neighbor had a horse get rabid. Feral cats, raccoons, foxes, etc. are all suspect.

brewjaz
Explorer
Explorer
That's wonderful! Enjoy your travels Thanks for the pupdate!