cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SARS-CoV-2 Infections in US Dogs and Cats

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Clinical and epidemiologic features of SARS-CoV-2 in dogs and cats compiled through national surveillance in the United States
Research Square Preprint posted 24 Aug, 2022

Abstract
Objective
To characterize clinical and epidemiologic features of SARS-CoV-2 in companion animals detected through both passive and active surveillance in the U.S.

Animals
204 companion animals (109 cats, 95 dogs) across 33 states with confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infections between March 2020 and December 2021.

Procedures
Public health officials, animal health officials, and academic researchers investigating zoonotic SARS-CoV-2 transmission events reported clinical, laboratory and epidemiological information through a standardized One Health surveillance process developed by CDC and partners.

Results
Among dogs and cats identified through passive surveillance, 94% (n?=?87) had reported exposure to a person with COVID-19 before infection. Clinical signs of illness were present in 74% of pets identified through passive surveillance and 27% of pets identified through active surveillance. Duration of illness in pets averaged 15 days in cats and 12 days in dogs. The average time between human and pet onset of illness was 10 days. Viral nucleic acid was first detected at 3 days post exposure in both cats and dogs. Antibodies were detected starting 5 days post exposure and titers were highest at 9 days in cats and 14 days in dogs.

Conclusions and Clinical Relevance
Our data support that cats and dogs primarily become infected with SARS-CoV-2 following exposure to a person with COVID-19, most often their owners. Case investigation and surveillance that includes both people and animals is necessary to understand transmission dynamics and viral evolution of zoonotic diseases like SARS-CoV-2.

The full text is available at the link above.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M
9 REPLIES 9

Wanderlost
Nomad II
Nomad II
We both tested positive, but never got sick. Czarny never showed any indication of being ill either.

Sister got sick with it, and her dog moved into her bedroom with her. He's fine, and she's getting better.
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat
Rainbow Bridge: Spotacus, Alexander the Grrreat, and so very many more

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:

Willow the cat frequently travels with the family when they go away on weekends. Happily, such was the case when Dr. Biden tested positive for the second time.

"She won't leave my side!" the first lady tweeted. "I'm grateful to have Willow with me as I recover from COVID-19." Willow is seen leisurely stretching out on a cushioned bench on what appears to be a deck or porch. 

THIS is the problem - our pets are likely to want to comfort us if we feel ill; and we tend to enjoy their comfort. On the good side, I've known several families that had Covid go through the family, but the pets managed to avoid infection (or simply didn't show symptoms?)
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
BCSnob wrote:

I think the take home message is if you or yours get Covid you should also isolate from your pets to minimize their risk of getting Covid.

Someone tell Jill.

First lady Dr. Jill Biden has tested positive for a rebound case of Covid-19, her deputy communications director Kelsey Donohue confirmed.

Willow the cat frequently travels with the family when they go away on weekends. Happily, such was the case when Dr. Biden tested positive for the second time.

"She won't leave my side!" the first lady tweeted. "I'm grateful to have Willow with me as I recover from COVID-19." Willow is seen leisurely stretching out on a cushioned bench on what appears to be a deck or porch. 
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We had Covid when it first came out. Both our dogs slept with us throughout the illness and neither one showed any signs of illness in the days, weeks, month, nor a year later. Maybe they are as immune as children and most healthy adults.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
So what is one to do with this valuable information? Did any of these pets bite the dust?

Read the article and the reference.

While extremely rare, a small number of animals died while positive for SARS-CoV-2, documented in Carpenter et al. 202125, and were therefore excluded from analyses.

I think the take home message is if you or yours get Covid you should also isolate from your pets to minimize their risk of getting Covid.
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
My 14 week old Lab can rip a mask to shreds in less than 14 milliseconds.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

dturm
We're not currently vaccinating or recommending COVID vaccinations for dogs or cats. The disease has not shown to be serious in dogs and most cats. There is an animal version of the vaccine that has been used mostly in primates and big cats in zoos.

The recommendations now are to limit contact with your dogs and cats if you test positive.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
So what is one to do with this valuable information? Did any of these pets bite the dust?
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Is it because my dog didn't get a jab? Should I feel guilty? Auggy has no contact other than the wife and me.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu