cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions to relieve anxiety on rough roads

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
We have a new to us problem with 2 of our dogs. They have always traveled well until they experienced Destruction Bay on the Alaska Hwy and the many turns on the Cassiar Hwy. Thunder shirts have helped with one of them, but the second and youngest one has tried to climb out the front of the coach or a side window after an exceptionally large bump, and quick turns.

Is there anything that we can give them when we expect to travel on bad roads? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2005 American Tradition 40W
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,
Jewel, Clifford and Thor - Bouvier Des Flandres
11 REPLIES 11

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a product called "Vetriscience Composure" on Ben for fireworks. It doesn't seem to knock him out, but lessens his "startle" reflex a bit. Comes in a tasty little chewable that he happily scarfs down.

When we went to Alaska, our Aussie Ike (R.I.P.) and Jack the Cattle Dog (R.I.P.) went along - they were seasoned travelers who were pretty much bulletproof. But even THEY were a bit alarmed about road conditions north of Destruction Bay. I had to make the jacknife couch into a bed, so Ike didn't get launched off it; and Jack managed to wedge himself between the front seats.....LOL!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Off topic but a friend of mine had a Bouvier as his working partner. Great working dog.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the good suggestions. We left Stewart BC this morning and road has been so much smoother that his anciety level is down about 80 percent. We're about 180 miles from Prince George. Once we get there I'll pick up a few things that may help. With th fires raging in BC things may change tomorrow. I don't plan on getting anything unttil I know which roads we'll be traveling on.

Thanks again. I love this sitd.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
darsben1 wrote:
dturm wrote:
OTC medications like rescue remedy and Benadryl can help, aroma therapy - lavender oil on a bandana around their neck has been beneficial to some. There are stronger prescription medications you have to get through a vet. I've found that the meds commonly used for fear of loud noises work in some cases, my favorites are alprazolam, diazepam or lorazepam.

Doug, DVM

And if the Lorazepam doesn't work on the dog it might work on you

Or alprazolam or diazepam...

If you go with meds, I would first try them out while at home and then on a short distance drive for several tries before using them for a real trip. If your dog's issue is like Moose-dog's, it's because he gets a bit queasy and that makes him nervous. Adding the anti-anxiety med can actually make him more queasy if you don't work out the dosing right first. And the dosing varies on every dog. You may have to give smaller doses more often or a larger dose less often depending on the dog.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
OTC medications like rescue remedy and Benadryl can help, aroma therapy - lavender oil on a bandana around their neck has been beneficial to some. There are stronger prescription medications you have to get through a vet. I've found that the meds commonly used for fear of loud noises work in some cases, my favorites are alprazolam, diazepam or lorazepam.

Doug, DVM

And if the Lorazepam doesn't work on the dog it might work on you
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

cmcdar
Explorer
Explorer
Melatonin - you can get it in the vitamin section of Wal-Mart.

It is a natural way to calm pets and people
HTT: 2007 R-Vision Trail Cruiser c191
TV: 2010 Nissan Titan Pro4X Crew Cab

dturm

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

azrving
Explorer
Explorer

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
If there is a place he can sit and look out the windshield, that might help. Moose-dog can see out the windshield from both the couch and the dinette (as well as the side windows). That seems to help him relax more - seeing where we're going.

Fresh air can help a lot too. My clipper has one of those old kick plates on the driver's side by the front wheel well to let fresh air in. Moose-dog will come and stand in the air flow for a while (no A/C in the clipper cab). You might try installing a fan in their area - a small 12v one could be enough to get the air flowing.

If I think of any other things Moose-dog and I do, I'll post it. Sometimes it's just finding the right combinations for the dog.

If you can get the young one to settle enough to not lunge for the window/exit, etc., that should be enough. He may never love the actual drive as much as he loves the destinations (that's how Moose-dog is, the drive is "tolerated", the destination is loved).

Greyghost
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Toes,

We've been doing most of what you suggest. I took Destruction Bay at 40 and still had issues. Cassiar was at or below the suggested speed on curves, I think the young one is just scared when he's in the MH. We've been out for 81 days and they go everywhere with us in the car. My wife stayed with the young one on the couch but he won't stay with her for more than 5 minutes, then the first dip or bump and he heads for the hallway.
Pat & Roger Fisher
2012 Honda CRV EX-L 2WD,

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
From your signature, I'm guessing you can't use a crate (this is one area where I would recommend them).

My Moose-dog gets nervous in the vehicle. He doesn't like the "sleep guard" that makes noise when you pull over to the side of the road; he doesn't like lots of curves and such.

I try to get him to lay down as much as possible to minimize the amount of movement his body feels. Could you try using a seat belt harness with him to keep him in one spot?

I also try to comfort him when he needs it. In the clipper that's easy with just me as he can stand next to the driver seat while I pet him. For you that might mean having him situated as close to your spouse so they can pet him and talk to him while he stays where he is.

Since they used to be good riders, it may just be that they need time to remember the good of riding in cars. Take them for regular weekly trips to the park or the local pet store for a treat. After a few weeks, start taking them a bit further out.

And the main advice is to just slow down. Don't take those curves and bumps as fast as you do now - drop your speed about 10-15mph on them. See how that affects the dogs. Remember, you're sitting in a seat MEANT for your comfort. They are trying to fit on "furniture" meant for people not dogs. So taking a curve at a speed that is comfortable for you is likely too fast for them - their bodies are handling the movement differently on those seats.