cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taking my buddy with me

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have decided to take my dog, Nicky, with me on my trip this coming week. The last time I took him was when I had the pop-up, and he acted like a neurotic idiot the whole time. I am really hoping he does better this time. I like having company when I hike the trails. The Colby T should be more "homelike" for him. We'll see. Any advice out there?
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos
19 REPLIES 19

Ron_Butler
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, that sounds great. We will be heading back home on Sat. and then back out for a week on Tues. so probably will start with the in and out now and just keep my fingers crossed for the travel days until we are parked to take the next steps.
Ron & Carolyn
Tucker - Wire Hair Fox Terrier
Federal Way WA./Sun City AZ.
GO HUSKIES
Our Trip Pictures
Ron & Carolyns Travels

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Basically that's the idea, but with enhancements. You want to make a game of it. Start with the engine off and teach her to jump in, jump out, get a treat. This should be a fun, upbeat play-time feeling. Once she "gets" it, have her jump in, get a treat, jump out, lather, rinse, repeat.

Then extend the time she waits for a treat.

Now because she's comfortable with the rig off, this part will seem silly and too easy, but do it anyway because it will help you change the association and teach her the game for the next step.

So next, you'll fire it up and let it idle and then start from the beginning. In, out, treat. In, out, treat. In, treat, out. FUN. You aren't in a hurry here because each repetition is putting another layer of new conditioning over the old one.

Slowly extend the time in the rig running. Your goal is NEVER to have her get to where she's showing signs of nerves or discomfort. You are re-conditioning her to feel comfortable in the rig.

Once she gets comfortable, you can let her eat in there, hang out a little, whatever.

Then you move it, but only a few feet the first time. In, move back twenty feet, forward twenty, stop, treat, out. Remember it's fun! This is a game. Then short short trips.... down the street to the park a block away, do something FUN.

The big challenge will be to keep from trying to push too fast. Slow is fast here. You'll get faster results by going slower because you're not trying to get a specific behavior, rather you are creating a new association. So short repetitions will do more to reinforce it, while going too far can push her back and reinforce the old bad associations.

Keep us posted.
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Ron_Butler
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. She is fine while we are parked. As soon as we start up the engine, etc, she starts panting. I have thought about just starting the engine and letting it idle for short periods of time with her when we are parked at home.

Thanks
Ron & Carolyn
GO HUSKIES
Our Trip Pictures
Ron & Carolyns Travels

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Today has been very long and tomorrow looks longer as Ibhave a drive to makenke get fosters. But by thurs i will have it for you.

Is the problem while driving primarily?
susan

Fuzzy Wuzzy was a wabbit, Fuzzy Wuzzy had a dandelion habit! RIP little Wuz... don't go far.

Ron_Butler
Explorer
Explorer
Code2High wrote:
Sounds like you are dealing more with anxiety or?

The dosage for RR for a full-sized human is I think four drops. So for a dog a drop or two should be plenty.

Pheremones can also be very useful. The would be my pick if the problem is just in the car. Hose the place down! For more generalized anxiety the collar might be a better choice. I use both to maintain harmony among my cats.

Many people get good results with the thundershirt.

I also like l-tryptophan which may or may not be in the tabs to which you refer.

Nothing wrong with benadryl except that personally I've never seen it make much difference. Some have had good results, though, and it's cheap and shouldn't do any harm.

You can also do some behavior mod/reconditioning. If you want to try that I'll look up where I typed it last or retype it. It's all a game, not "training" per se, and if you spend a few minutes a day for a few weeks, you should get a much better traveling companion at the end.

Thanks for the suggestions and comments. Since we have the rig at the house for the summer, I knew I should have been doing some work on taking her over for short periods of time with me, along with treats! Any other suggestions in working with her this way would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Ron & Carolyn
GO HUSKIES
Our Trip Pictures
Ron & Carolyns Travels

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you are dealing more with anxiety or?

The dosage for RR for a full-sized human is I think four drops. So for a dog a drop or two should be plenty.

Pheremones can also be very useful. The would be my pick if the problem is just in the car. Hose the place down! For more generalized anxiety the collar might be a better choice. I use both to maintain harmony among my cats.

Many people get good results with the thundershirt.

I also like l-tryptophan which may or may not be in the tabs to which you refer.

Nothing wrong with benadryl except that personally I've never seen it make much difference. Some have had good results, though, and it's cheap and shouldn't do any harm.

You can also do some behavior mod/reconditioning. If you want to try that I'll look up where I typed it last or retype it. It's all a game, not "training" per se, and if you spend a few minutes a day for a few weeks, you should get a much better traveling companion at the end.
susan

Ron_Butler
Explorer
Explorer
Our newest Welsh Terrier - Rose - is NOT a good traveler. I am at the stage of trying some of the naturopathic type of remedies. Have tried Pet Ease - tablets - but they don't seem to help. Will try Rescue Remedy next and see if that has any effect. The one question I have is how do you know how much to give them? The directions for the RR says it doesn't depend upon the weight of the dog, just give enough until it works!! Any suggestions of how much to start with? She weighs 20 lbs.

If that doesn't work, will try the Benadryl route.

Have any of you tried that stress coat/jacket rig?

Thanks for any other suggestions.
Ron & Carolyn
GO HUSKIES
Our Trip Pictures
Ron & Carolyns Travels

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I'm just to stupid for words! Nicky had a great time on our trip even though I let him hike 15+ miles of trails in two days. We got ready for another hike yesterday, and he was limping on all four legs. I was focused on hydration! We spent the afternoon in the camper! We came home early because a colleague of mine is in a coma. Nicky is fine today-no thanks to me!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

xteacher
Explorer
Explorer
Great news!
Beth and Joe
Camping Buddies: Maddie (maltese/westie?), Kramer (chi/terrier?), and Lido (yellow lab)

2017 Keystone Bullet 248RKS
2014 Aliner Expedition Off Road
2013 Ram 1500 HEMI

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
jjjandrbaker wrote:
Nicky climbed right in the camper and looked around. I told him to get on the bed so I could get all of gear stowed and set things up. I gave him a busy bone, and he ignored me for a good twenty minutes until it was gone. We hiked a trail, and he came back in, drank some water, hopped on the bed, and went to sleep. I think he's gonna do just fine!

Looks like he's already at home!
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

milo
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our first trip after we got our Beagle, we was loaded to the max helping move our daughter up to San Juan Island so we had to leave him home... Big mistake! My sis & dad would check on him everyday. Well he didn't like being left and tore the screen door off the back door & guess he bayed so much that my A hole neighbors call animal control, so sis had to take him to their house. From then on, the next 7 years, till he moved on to Rainbow Bridge, he has always traveled with us. I'm gonna miss him.
Janet & Milo ...47 fantastic yrs 2gether :B
Mona Yorkie & Buddy our beloved Beagle (both in spirit)
2013 F-150 Kodiak Brown XLT 4X4 HD Ecoboost
2014 Cougar 26sab

Living under the best Government money can buy ... Bob Brinker 😉

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Nicky climbed right in the camper and looked around. I told him to get on the bed so I could get all of gear stowed and set things up. I gave him a busy bone, and he ignored me for a good twenty minutes until it was gone. We hiked a trail, and he came back in, drank some water, hopped on the bed, and went to sleep. I think he's gonna do just fine!
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Code2High
Explorer
Explorer
Comfort Zone (pheremones) might be your friend here. Rescue remedy is also good. They can be used together. Many people find that benadryl takes the edge off a dog, and l-tryptophan is used in some calming treats to reduce anxiety.
susan

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for so many great suggestions. Nicky has no problems with riding in the truck. He LOVES it! I take him with me all the time for walks in the parks, etc. There was just something about the pop-up that made him uncomfortable. It was a tiny little pop-up that shook something fierce with every step you took. The Colby T. is bigger and is very well stabilized so that may make the difference. We are going to spend so much time hiking the trails that he will be pretty tired by the time we end up in the camper for any lenght of time. I bought him some long lasting treats to distract him when we first go in.

I also got his furminator and combed out about three dogs worth of fur. We'll do some more while we are at the park. It calms him and keeps him cooler.

I'll let you all know how it goes when we get back.
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos