cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Temp monitor for when leaving dogs in RV

jabres
Explorer II
Explorer II
I know this topic has been touched on before, but is there any good devices out there that will monitor rv inside temps while dogs are left alone while we are out for the day? I always worry the campground will blow a fuse or lose power while we are out, and dogs get cooked up. Looking for something that would notify my phone in the case of power loss.

I used to use "connectsense", buts its outdated and no longer works.

Thanks!
12 REPLIES 12

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I can't imagine leaving my dog unattended for any but a short time.

She's way, way too valuable.

I knew this when I assumed the responsibility of a pet owner.
There's just some activities I can't do because of this obligation.

This obligation is not a burden.

My Lab has rewarded me with perfect, steadfast devotion and is an ever faithful hunting partner.

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
If folks would read post BEFORE they post they would see why replies say what they say.

As for leaving home we have a cloud cam here with a mifi as well. Not that them barking here makes any difference anyway.

The original poster wanted to know what works. The temp stick and a cloud cam with dedicated wifi connection works every time.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
What do you use when you leave your dog at home?

IB853347201
Nomad
Nomad
BillyBob Jim wrote:

IMO a responsible RVer with pets does not leave Precious in the rig all day so she can bark at every noise she hears, every person or car that goes by, etc. No RV is soundproof from a Coachmen to a Prevost, despite the fact that Precious never barks.

Campground ettiquette? Despite having dogs if your left behind pet goes on a barking frenzy, I'll be the first calling Rangers or management, and voicing the complaint. If its at the state park we host at you're getting a written warning and if not followed you'll be leaving shortly. I have been in that situation too many times the last few years, and do not intend to listen to your barking dog all day while you're out at the flea market. A get off of my lawn moment I suppose, but so be it lol. We do not leave ours behind and I do not care to listen to yours. I have yet to go anywhere that did not have a rule against leaving pets unattended or disturbing other campers.

Agree 100%!
Have been at many a RV Park where an inconsiderate dog owner leaves their barking dogs all day in their trailer unattended. Ruins the day for everyone.
They always say, "Wasn't our dogs, they never bark"!
Yeah, right...
2010 Suncruiser

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your specific question, there are essentially two ways to provide push notifications to an email and/or text message with temperature/humidity alerts that we find useful for a variety of reasons. If you have internet available in your RV/home, a system that connects to your existing network such as the Temp Stick works very well for around $60 with no ongoing subscription fees. David Bot (OutsideOurBubble) did a review of it here..

The other way is if you do not have a dedicated/always on internet source. The system that we use and that has worked very well is the RV Pet Safety Monitor. They have two systems-one that works on ATT and the other on Verizon. The Verizon system is what we use and is a bit pricier but in my opinion is a more reliable system for our travels. One downside, there is an ongoing subscription charge but, factor that as you consider options. Their phone app is excellent allowing you full control over the system. I can highly recommend this product. By the way, they currently have a coupon code available (4glite) that you enter on checkout and it drops the price to $99.

So, look at your costs for your specific situation (dedicated MIFI, etc) vs. dedicated temperature monitor with ongoing subscription fees and determine what is best for you if you plan to provide temperature monitoring to your RV, car or home.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

edbehnke
Explorer
Explorer
where did barking enter into this thread anyway?

Just plan on when away you have a back up plan.

as for barking, get a bark collar.
eddie and sandie
3402 Montana 2013
Ford F350 2015

Campinghoss
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not worry too much about post like one you have received in regard to leaving your dogs.
We have a temp stick and a Amazon cloud cam that works off a mifi Verizon. Not only does the temp stick alert us to a humidity, temp or connection lost on our smart phones, the cloud cam gives us real time video and audio for our dogs. We can talk to them or hear them if they bark.
I just love it when someone says they hear our dogs bark when we leave them and I can pull out my phone and say here is the recording where do you hear them barking.

By the way, ours do not bark UNLESS someone comes to the door and knocks.
Camping Hoss
2017 Open Range 3X 388RKS
MorRyde IS with disc brakes
2017 F-350 6.7 with hips 8'bed
Lucie our fur baby
Lucky 9/15/2007 - 1/30/2023

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
SDcampowneroperator wrote:
Thank You for being a responsible rver with pets. When you have to leave them for the day, alert staff, a neighbor, arrange a walker anything for their care should you be away longer than you plan. .
A power outage is a concern, more importantly is a delay in your return. Prepare for all contingiencies.

IMO a responsible RVer with pets does not leave Precious in the rig all day so she can bark at every noise she hears, every person or car that goes by, etc. No RV is soundproof from a Coachmen to a Prevost, despite the fact that Precious never barks.

Campground ettiquette? Despite having dogs if your left behind pet goes on a barking frenzy, I'll be the first calling Rangers or management, and voicing the complaint. If its at the state park we host at you're getting a written warning and if not followed you'll be leaving shortly. I have been in that situation too many times the last few years, and do not intend to listen to your barking dog all day while you're out at the flea market. A get off of my lawn moment I suppose, but so be it lol. We do not leave ours behind and I do not care to listen to yours. I have yet to go anywhere that did not have a rule against leaving pets unattended or disturbing other campers.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
Thank You for being a responsible rver with pets. When you have to leave them for the day, alert staff, a neighbor, arrange a walker anything for their care should you be away longer than you plan. .
A power outage is a concern, more importantly is a delay in your return. Prepare for all contingiencies.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Temp sensor LINK
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
my daughter has show labs ,her trailer has AC, my brother in law wired up a temp alarm. it works perfect has buzzer outside of trailer and a big sign says show dogs inside open doors in an emg. but some one should make these or hit craigs list for a electronics guy to build one. was very easy to wire up.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hmmm...and when it goes off and you’re two hours away sightseeing...
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad