Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

RVSnowbird
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
I'm wondering if we should also have a sticky that lets us post obituaries & pics of our dearly departed pets? Maybe a "Rainbow Bridge" sticky? It would be sad and happy. It is very sad when a pet dies. And many of us tell the rest of the group when one of our pets does die. Telling others is one way to grieve. There have been a number of posts lately about dear pets that have died. And the stories are very difficult to read. And yes, our heart tugs with every tale.

A thread that would let us tell of our pet, and post a picture, would be a way to memorialize the RV pets that have travelled to the other side.
Simple ground rules.
1. Posts are limited to individual pet "obituaries" and no personal replies please as they will be deleted without explanation.

2. Pictures exceeding 640 pixels width or 480 pixels in height will be edited to comply within those dimensions.

if you have any questions, free to send me a private message

==========================================================================

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

The above in a Rainbow Bridge "flash" movie
have you checked out the new RV.net Blogs yet?

Deceased 2/28/08 RIP
243 REPLIES 243

camping_again
Explorer
Explorer
Maggie Mae
5-1-87 to 7-14-99

DennyH
Explorer
Explorer
I have not visited this site for a long time. I stopped by because you are pet owners and know how I feel today, and will tomorrow when our loved Dakota crosses the Rainbow Bridge to be with his dog buddies.

In 2002 we lost Duncan. Tomorrow we lose Dakota.

Here is a letter I wrote at the time we lost Duncan and postd here before:

Dear Duncan, 7/10/02

I would like to express how much you meant to your mom and I, to say Iโ€™m sorry and to thank you for enhancing our lives.

I truly hope that the affection we showed you was enough for you to understand how much we loved you, especially the last days of your life. Iโ€™m thankful that I took the opportunity to be alone with you that Saturday night before you went to the hospital. In my heart I knew something was wrong and your time with us might be shortened. That night, I tried to give you the love and pampering you deserved. I just hope you could understand what I was trying to express.

I cannot even begin to tell you how much pain we felt when you got sick. We did everything in our power to help you get well again. We took you to the best Doctors we could find. Iโ€™m sorry you had to spend all that time in the hospital away from your family but we wanted to find what was wrong with you and try to make it better.

Unfortunately, the illness you had was very serious and the chance to make you better was slim. As you became weaker, the sadness we felt grew deeper. We tried to maintain hope for your recovery but against our wishes, it was becoming clear that we might not have our little Duncan boy with us much longer. We did what we could but GOD decided you were not to survive.

When I took you to the vet Monday afternoon, I had no intention of leaving you there. You were so weak, you collapsed in front of the Vetโ€™s office and I had to carry you the rest of the way. I had no idea it was for the last time. Iโ€™ll never forget the look in your eyes when you were laid on the exam table. I knew you were frightened and asking me not to leave you again. Iโ€™m sorry you were scared. Iโ€™m sorry I left you again.

The bad news I received on the way to the vet and the blood test the Dr did showed you were getting worse instead of better. The fear that we were losing our little boy was now a reality. The agonizing decision we made to have you put to sleep was what we thought was best for you and our family. You were very sick and about to lose your battle. The Dr. told us you would suffer toward the end of your life, that you would struggle to survive. We didnโ€™t want that to happen to you. We didnโ€™t want to see you suffer any longer. The thought of that was unbearable. I hope we did you good by putting you to sleep. I hope we relieved you from your discomfort. I hope you understand.

I vividly remember the first day we picked you up at the humane society and the ride home. You were so scared and sick at first and you slowly got better. It took us awhile to get used to each other. I remember you being left to run in the house for the first time and you sniffed and sniffed all night learning your new home. I donโ€™t even think you got any sleep.

I could just go on and on remembering all the funny, special and sad moments of our time together. But instead, I will end this letter by saying thank you Duncan. Thank you for being our companion and for making us feel special by always wanting to be with us. Thank you for teaching us how to be good parents and for the absolute joy you brought into our lives. Thank you for your loyalty and for being such a good boy. I was proud of you.

My only regret is that I didnโ€™t take you home one last time. One last time that I could make you feel like you were the luckiest dog in the world. Hopefully you knew you were special to all of us and you knew you were the KING of our hearts.

Rest in peace Duncan and I hope you are there to greet me when my time on earth ends.

I love you with all my heart,
Denny
Denny
2002 K2500 Suburban LT, 8.1L, 3.73's
2003 Jayco Eagle 266FBS
Equal-I-Zer WD/Sway

W7SFO
Explorer
Explorer

Our friend DJ. 1994 2007
Ryan,
Spanaway WA.
2001 Sunnybrook
See me on Facebook!
Enjoying camping every chance I get.
Enjoy meeting other folks in the area to camp with.

mpj
Explorer
Explorer

We sent our Bailey to Rainbow Bridge today. She had not been feeling well and today we took her to see Dr Jay. She had developed an inoperable malignant tumor on her spleen.

We don't know where she came from or how her life was before she came to us. She had 7 years of adventures and travel (during the winter) and lots of loving from our campground staff and customers.

We will miss her and her "sister" will miss her. But we know that she is in a better place and is running pain free. We buried her under her favorite tree here on the campground. Run Free ... Run Free.
mpj:)

stfnwuf
Explorer
Explorer
Monday we had to send our boy beagle, Dewar's, to the Rainbow Bridge. He was 14, very senile and his body was shutting down. It was a hard decision, but I could tell in his eyes that he was ready to go.

Dewar's came to live with us after having been in 4 different homes. He was only 9 months old and the cutest thing. He looked like my DH, the way he cocked his head and gave puppy eyes. ๐Ÿ˜‰ After a few months he finally realized he was staying and ended up being the best first dog a family could have. Our daughters fell madly, deeply in love with him. All who met him loved him. My dad and nephew even proposed marriage to him. He was a lover with a fabulous disposition. You knew he really liked you if he sat on your feet.

He did have his share of adventures, beging a beagle and all. Like the time he climbed the fence (the cat taught him) and ended up 1/2 way across town at an elementary school. Or the time he got out (someone opened the gate when we were out shopping) and was lost in the neighborhood for three days. Or the time he and our friend's dog got in the dog food and feasted; he had a food hangover the next morining. Or the times he'd climb on the bed to sleep with me when DH was working nights-he'd even use DH's pillow. Or the time he got in the chocolate chip cookies that were for a school fundraiser and ate them all-those were the one thing he could not resist. Or the time we took him tent camping at a KOA and he got out, visited the owner's cats and ate all the cat food.

Dewar's never complained when we (really meaning I) broght home other rescue dogs. He wasn't happy, but accepted and tolerated them. He was great with kids and just a happy-go-lucky guy. Besides chocolate chip cookies, he loved peanut butter. He also liked an occasional taste of scotch or a bit of beer.

Good Speed Dewar's. We miis you and will see you when it is out turn to pass on. You enriched our life. Thank you for finding your way into our life.
2016 Reflection 337RLS
2016 Ram 2500 Big Horn
Food source for one very ornery cat

RogerNCindy
Explorer
Explorer
We lost our precious Thumper Marie Labor Day weekend, 2002. She is still deeply missed. She was, for all intents and purposes, our daughter. She got us through two miscarriages before our first son was born. She was then the guardian of our two boys, and queen of the world. Just ask her!

RNG_Travelers
Explorer
Explorer
Two weeks after losing NINA to the poisoned food, we are still in shock. But she sent a deer to us the other day to let us know she is ok and witing for us.

Here we are at the Redwoods

More of us at the Redwoods

Here we are at the Beach

See you soon NINA, Love always, Mom & Dad
Ron & Gloria - Fulltiming since 1999
Nina - 11-09-99 to 6-18-07 beloved Shih Tzu - always with us in spirit
2001 F450 4x4 Crew Cab 7.3L Powerstroke
2-L Custom built dove-tail gooseneck/5th Wheel hauler bed
2002 Alfa Gold GF35AL

Dandy_Dan
Explorer
Explorer

Beau was a rescue dog himself. He was fould wandering around the area when he was just a little fella. We got Beau from a neighbor when he was around 6 months old and have had him ever since. Beau was a good helper around the farm. He thought he was a horse and when the horses were out he would lay under a tree "guarding his buddies" When it was time for them to eat you could tell him to go get the horses and he would run up to the front pasture and bark until he got them headed back to the barn.
Beau started out being a barn dog but in his later years he wiggled into the house and deeper into the heart. He became a house dog for the past 5+ years and has been camping with us since we got the campeer 2 years ago. Beau's last weekend was spent camping. He just layed outside under a shade tree and loved it when someone would come by and scratch him on the head.
Beau had very bad arthritis and had gone blind and was having a lot of trouble trying to just get up. Beau went to be at the Rainbow Bridge June 19, 2007 - 09:45 AM. We love you Beau and miss you
dan218b@tds.net
Dan and Lori Branson
Anna 1 and Lily( The new one)
Sarah-7/16 and Beau at the Rainbow bridge
2015 Ford SD350 Crew Cab Power Stroke
2009 Open Range 337RLS
Old Fella Rally Member
RV.Net Ohio Rally Member

FlamMan
Explorer
Explorer

Miss Holly,
We saved you from the pet store at Christmas time to bring you to Georgia to love and make you our third "child". You have been a great friend for over eight years and will be sorely missed. In your dark eyes I could always see the love for us and your happiness and sadness through out your life. The last week I could only see pain and I knew what you wanted.

I love and miss you Holly, I will see you at the Rainbow Bridge.
Tim & Trina Baxter
Jersey, the spastic pup
Missie, the Baby Beagle Pup

In Memory of Holly, my best friend

DOTLDaddy
Nomad
Nomad
It's hard to believe it's a year ago today that we had to say goodbye. I like to think she's running full tilt with a big, old stick in her mouth somewhere up there in the Rainbow Realm.

"Come on girl! Let me have it so I can throw it again!"

I used to say that quite a bit. ๐Ÿ™‚

We miss you Gen. Missy.

Walter & Garland - Camp Canine caretakers
Miss Inga (aka "Shorty") - 10 y.o. old GSD.
Gen. Gretchen - Joined Rainbow Div., June 27, 2017 at age 13
Gen. Missy - Joined Rainbow Div., June 11,2006 at age 12
2018 Montana HC305RL 5th wheel
2018 Silverado HD 6.0L

maggie00
Explorer
Explorer
Many pets have been a part of my life, but there are some that walk right into your heart and claim a spot. My daughter got a 1/2 border collie 1/2 blue healer mix while at student at college. That summer she elected to leave him at home when she returned to school and he became mine. Together we made it through each day, missing the kids as they went off to school, going for long walks morning and evening, and playing with toys until we were out of breath. Murphy loved playing in the back yard, talking to the neighbors, going for rides in the car, even for long trips to colleges to see my daughters, he loved shower baths with the water hose, and would get so excitedhe couldn't stand it when the kids came back home for visits. He loved napping with our infant granddaughter and running with my son. When I remarried after many years of being single, he welcomed his new daddy by adopting him as his new best friend, along with the new daddy's dog. Murphy Jo left us far too soon - I wasn't ready, and there are still days when I miss him so very much. I know God loaned him to me, and I know he'll be waiting when I reach the bridge. And he'll be smiling that silly beloved smile with his entire back end doing the happy dance.

targaracer
Explorer
Explorer
Lady, a mutt we rescued from an abusive home 14 years ago when she was about 2. She died today. I've seen a lot of things in my time, but I cried like a baby. I'm awful happy for the many years we spent together, but I sure as hell am sad that it's over.

Gord

jmartini
Explorer
Explorer
Shana - Our once in a lifetime dog. She was born in April of 1993 and we adopted her from a shelter January 2nd of 1994. She was the most intelligent and loving animal we have had the pleasure of knowing. Sadly she passed away on January 6th of 2007, just shy of her 14th Birthday - we think about her everyday.
2007 Dodge Durango 5.7 Hemi 3.92 Axel Ratio
2007 Coachmen Captiva 288FKS

Plenty of floor space for us & our two large dogs; Kaela and Hannah!

Finally
Explorer
Explorer
We lost our little Missi Tuesday, March 27, 2007. She was 14 years and 3 months old.

Last week we took her in to be groomed, and the vet found a little abscess by her right leg, and she had a mole by her left eye. Moles are fairly common on Cocker Spaniels. He drained the cyst and told us to bring her back this past Tuesday to remove the mole. I honestly believed that we would bring her home. I think DH knew we might not, but I just didn't see it. Missi and I had taken our nightly walk on Monday night, as always, she was ready for her treat, and I thought she would be fine on Tuesday. We stopped at the vet's to see about her, and the Vet's assistant said he needed to talk to me. I knew this was not going to be good. He said all of Missi's lab test came back very bad, liver enzymes over the top, kidneys bad, and it was just going to be a matter of time, and not very long before she was going to be in pain. We had to make that horrible decision to let Missi go. I didn't go to the back because I couldn't stop crying, and Dr. Lee said she would be upset because I was so upset. He said Missi would only think she was getting her regular inoculation and she would just go to sleep.

Since Tuesday I have regretted not going back to say good bye. I had hugged her before DH took her to the vet, but I thought she would be coming home. My heart is broken. She got me through last year, which was the very worst year of my life. I knew she was getting old, and sometimes I think Missi knew the pain I was in and she held on and stayed with us through 3 months of this year to make sure we were ok. DH says "no more dogs', it just hurts too much. It does, but Missi went to work with me, camped with us, and I cannot imagine life without her.

We adopted Missi in 1993. She had been dumped on the side of the road. She was about 5 weeks old. We had another Cocker, Liberty who we bought at a pet shop, that we later found out that she had come from a puppy mill. When Liberty was two she had both eyes removed due to Glaucoma. The vet said that she would enjoy a full life, and Liberty did. She had a lot of problems and died at 10 in 1998. Missi became Liberty's little "seeing eye dog". Missi lived almost 9 years after Liberty died.

We always said that the time to let our pet go was when they just weren't having fun anymore. We knew Liberty was having a hard time, and we let her go. Little Missi seemed to still be having a good time, but sometimes I think our walks might have been a little hard on her, but she did it to please me. Still, based on what Dr. Lee said about her lab work, she had cancer and she was going to be in pain, so we let her go.

Now that I see her everywhere in our house, I wish I'd brought her home if even for a few days. I have her collar and I sit and hold it to my heart and cry. I guess there would have never been a time that I could let her go, but I don't feel like I got to really say good bye. I thought she was coming back home Tuesday.

Today I went to an eye surgeon because I'm having surgery on my eye next Tuesday. One of the tech's gave me Rainbow Bridge. We have Honey, Liberty, and Missi waiting there for us. I truly hope that is really the way life and heaven turns out to be. What would heaven be without our little love ones that were there for us always, when there was no one else. My little Missi got me through some of my darkest hours last year, and many years before. I can't see our life without her.

Somehow, talking about her on this forum gives Missi a permanent place for remembrance. I hope to eventually post a photo of her. She was a little blonde cocker with the biggest, sweetest brown eyes. I will never forget that little face.

Although I know that all the joy she brought is worth the suffering this loss brings, it is hard to remember right now.
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH
2005 Tiffin Phaeton Sold
2009 Lincoln MKX
and Milli

mariettabridge
Explorer
Explorer
Markie- We miss you so much. There has not been a day since last August that we have not thought about you. Your sister Sadie misses you also, she is trying to put your new little brother in line. (She wishes he acted like you. We know that you are in a better place now, you are able to walk and run and roll in the grass and your poor legs and hips do not hurt you anymore. We have bought a new motorhome for your sister and brother and we have named it (Markie's Dream). You were our boy, we loved you so much.

2007 Tiffin Phaeton 42' QRH
2005 Toyota 4-Runner (Toad)