Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge

RVSnowbird
Explorer
Explorer
sue.t wrote:
I'm wondering if we should also have a sticky that lets us post obituaries & pics of our dearly departed pets? Maybe a "Rainbow Bridge" sticky? It would be sad and happy. It is very sad when a pet dies. And many of us tell the rest of the group when one of our pets does die. Telling others is one way to grieve. There have been a number of posts lately about dear pets that have died. And the stories are very difficult to read. And yes, our heart tugs with every tale.

A thread that would let us tell of our pet, and post a picture, would be a way to memorialize the RV pets that have travelled to the other side.
Simple ground rules.
1. Posts are limited to individual pet "obituaries" and no personal replies please as they will be deleted without explanation.

2. Pictures exceeding 640 pixels width or 480 pixels in height will be edited to comply within those dimensions.

if you have any questions, free to send me a private message

==========================================================================

The Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

The above in a Rainbow Bridge "flash" movie
have you checked out the new RV.net Blogs yet?

Deceased 2/28/08 RIP
243 REPLIES 243

AstroRig57
Explorer
Explorer
Duncan MacLeod, born in a barn (literally) on St. Patricks Day, March 17, 2003, aka "Wienie Boy", "Dinky", "Stinky", "Dinky Dunc", "Stinky Dinky" and dozens of other names of endearment....
...went to the Rainbow Bridge on January 18, 2016. He passed two weeks to the day after his human grandpa.

Duncan was a wonderful companion to his "momma", who loved him dearly as did his dad, his now grown "kids", his surviving canine family, and the entire family. Duncan was a bit of a celebrity at RV Parks, beaches, State and National Parks, and astronomy club "star parties" throughout California, Oregon, and Arizona.

Duncan was loved, and doted upon, but did not have an easy life. He was the poster child for genetic defects common to dachshunds. He had his first paralyzing bout of IVDD (Intervertebral disc disease) at age two but recovered with crate rest and medication. His second bout of IVDD, at age 5, required spine surgery which was largely successful. In recent years he had developed hip dysplasia, luxated patellas, and arthritis from the top of his spine to the tip of his tail. He had been treated for cushings disease since April of 2013. IN SPITE OF IT ALL, HIS TAIL NEVER STOPPED WAGGING. He had done well on Vetoryl for the cushings but we recently lost the handle on control. He developed an acute problem, a fast growing tumor in his head (which may have contributed to the sudden loss of cushings control), and though he'd endured many medical procedures in the past, he was too weak to fight this one and we and his doctors eased his way to the Rainbow Bridge.

We are devastated and will miss him dearly.

2005 Winnebago Sightseer WFD30B "rigged for night" with red LED lighting for night adapted vision.

Do you remember when the sky was dark, and the stars were bright?
The International Dark-Sky Association
American by birth...Scottish by the Grace Of God.

otis-agnes
Explorer
Explorer
My sweet Abby. I miss her. Agnes
Otis, Agnes and Penny & Twinkie (our rescue pups)
2018 Grey Wolf 23MK
2019 Ford F250

Veronica26
Explorer
Explorer
Nice idea this one for pet lovers

Illinoisgreyhou
Explorer
Explorer
Rock N Junior
Hilan Boise

My 2 heart angels waiting for me and my other greyhounds at the Bridge.
I miss the 2 of you with all my heart and soul. Thank you for listening to me everyday and keeping a watch over all my other hounds. I will be there my loves and hold you in my arms again. Love, Mom
Me and....my 3 Greyhounds
Patch
Teague
Isabella

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
We lost our second dog in a year and a half last week. Miss her so much. Here is Rosie's tribute: Remembering Rosie
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
BarbiO - I'm so sorry about your Danny. It's so hard to lose such beloved companions. In time, it will ge easier, he's not forgotten though or far from your thoughts, I'm sure.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

BarbiO
Explorer
Explorer
I just joined the forum last May and was excited to share tales of my camping kitty. Unfortunately our darling Danny passed the first Sunday in February from cardiomyopathy. It was a harrowing experience as it was very sudden and at home. He was definitely Daddy's boy!
Danny Ongstad May 3, 2006- February 2, 2014.

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for you loss. My heart was broken when my Hannah passed. The sadness seems to ease with time. Bless you for adopting an older dog and I'm sure there is another that would love a good home with you. Your photo is wonderful!
2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!
Campground lot in Harrison MI.
looking for good used 5th wheel.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
I'm so sorry for you about Mama. Huge kudos go out to you for adopting an older dog. I see so many at shelters and my heart goes out to them. The last five years of her life were most likely the best. The picture you posted is really good and shows her personality. All our pets have been from animal shelters and we couldn't have asked for better companions.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Dixie_Flyer
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mama went to Rainbow Bridge this morning. This last year was a long hard fight for her but she was almost fifteen years old. She was ten when we rescued her. What a great companion she was. Will miss her a lot.
2016 Ford F250 King Ranch Crew Cab 6.7 Power Stroke
2015 Montana Model 3611 with 4400 Pullrite Hitch.

Wife Sue
Pets: Rainbow Bridge: Bart, Old Fella, Levi, Charlie, Mama, Hobo, Izzie, Peaches. Others Suzie, Dixie.

Old Fella Burke County Animal Rescue

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
I was thinking the same thing. There are so many animals dying of cancer from injection site carcinomas. I for one will not get my new pup any shots (except rabies since it is law).

Really bad information and decision making.

First of all the injection site sarcomas and carcinomas occur in cats, not dogs.

The incidence of injection site sarcomas in cats has decreased tremendously over the last 5-7 years due to changes in vaccines and vaccination protocols. We have not seen one in our practice in at least five years.

Not doing puppy shots due to possible reaction is a very poor decision. Your dog is MUCH more likely to get parvo (and die), distemper or hepatitis than have a vaccination reaction. These are entirely preventable diseases.

Just setting the record straight.

Doug, DVM

I will have to agree to disagree with you. Chances of my dog getting parvo is none. My pup was vaccinated at 16 weeks and will get a titer each year. All of the other vaccinations are totally unnecessary. More dogs and cats are dying from kidney, skin, and other problems from over vaccination.
2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!

CA_POPPY
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for that clarification, Dr Doug. That was what my vet said, too, the injection site carcinoma is in cats, not dogs, and seemed to happen more in some particular breeds. He did mention Maine Coons, though. I'm so relieved that it is happening less often.
Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

dturm
I was thinking the same thing. There are so many animals dying of cancer from injection site carcinomas. I for one will not get my new pup any shots (except rabies since it is law).

Really bad information and decision making.

First of all the injection site sarcomas and carcinomas occur in cats, not dogs.

The incidence of injection site sarcomas in cats has decreased tremendously over the last 5-7 years due to changes in vaccines and vaccination protocols. We have not seen one in our practice in at least five years.

Not doing puppy shots due to possible reaction is a very poor decision. Your dog is MUCH more likely to get parvo (and die), distemper or hepatitis than have a vaccination reaction. These are entirely preventable diseases.

Just setting the record straight.

Doug, DVM
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

HeyJude
Explorer
Explorer
CA POPPY wrote:
Dianne and Tom wrote:
Alice Springs,our camping Maine Coon cat took her last trip today,one she won't return from. We got her when she was about 6 months old,and took her camping to Florida the next day.Over the years she traveled many miles with us. My husband would love to walk her on a leash around the campground and oh they got a lot of attention,you don't see that often. I told him he did it for himself instead of for her as he liked the attention from the ladies who missed their cats left at home. We would have people come to our rv,knock on the door and ask to see her if she wasn't in her large outside crate. My husband passed away July 30,2012 from brain cancer,I lost her today to a large bone tumor on her right hind leg and hip. If they allow cats in heaven I know it was a joyful reunion between her and her daddy. RIP in Alice,you were the best,sweetest cat we ever had.

Oh, I'm so sorry for both your losses but it's beautiful to think of Alice in her daddy's arms again. Our daughter also lost a beautiful purebred Maine coon named Willow to the same cancer in the same location, which had also been the injection site for all her past vaccines. Very sad, Maines are such big teddy bears.

2 DD both grown.
2 GC-loves of my life!

mrblanche
Explorer
Explorer
A poem I wrote that you will find in a number of places around the internet:

I Awake