cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

100 watt solar panel

mcsandman
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood RV wants $1,100 to park a 100w solar panel on top of it's RVs. I'll be RVing full time next year; so, please, convince me that that solar panel is worth the money.
mcsandman
New Horizons 19' 5er
Ford F-150, 5.4, 3.55
24 REPLIES 24

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

Not much difference in price to go to #10 from panels to controller. That allows for future expansion.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Almot wrote:
TucsonAZ wrote:
On a 12v system you should have some seriously thick wire being used

Not if the panel is mere 100W.

Though 100W won't do a lot of good, other than a couple of lights and small loads like LP fridge circuit and LP/CO sensors.

Worry about thick wire larger than 12 gauge from panel to controller when your amps out of the panel to the controller exceed 20 amps output. Until then... 12 gauge to the charge controller from the panels is fine.

However, I'd run 8 or 10 gauge wire from the controller to the batteries, and keep the run as short as possible, 5 feet or less. That is where it's critical to minimize voltage losses, after the voltage has been regulated and controlled. There's always surplus voltage before the controller, or should be, in your design calculations.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
TucsonAZ wrote:
On a 12v system you should have some seriously thick wire being used

Not if the panel is mere 100W.

Though 100W won't do a lot of good, other than a couple of lights and small loads like LP fridge circuit and LP/CO sensors.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, any solar is worth having it, but RV shops are living in their own imaginary world. Take your rig and go elsewhere for solar.

Parts for 100W are commonly available for under $300 including panel, controller, nuts and bolts - everything.

Being a single low-wattage panel, it's a simple work and won't take installer more than half a day. $160-170 per hour for RV electrician job seems too steep. You should be able to find some installer to do this for $600-700 including parts and labor. You'll end up spending more time - though some installers are doing house calls.

It appears that most solar stores - AM Solar, Solar Blvd etc - keep contacts with independent installers, similarly to how hardware stores would fetch you a few phone numbers of painters, plumbers etc if you ask. Though they often have a "scratch my back/I'll scratch yours" agreement - store promotes the installer, and installer is trying to push the parts from that particular store, sometimes expensive.

Btw, 100W is way too small for fulltime boondocking. I used to do this with zero solar watts and no generator, but you might not like it. If the goal is to significantly reduce generator time, you should get at least 200-300W. With big solar arrays the parts cost under $2 per watt, including everything.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
mena661 wrote:
Paying $1100 for 100W is NEVER worth it! Don't get taken!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NinerBikes
Explorer
Explorer
Not worth it. without the roof mount, going portable, full kit, I got 120 watts, controller, wires, quick connect and disconnect, for $180 at Solar Blvd. Probably the best $180 I ever spent on camping gear. Very peaceful, powers my 21 foot travel trailer just fine.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
Paying $1100 for 100W is NEVER worth it! Don't get taken!

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Comparison of prices for installed system with just the solar panel are informative but unfair. It may cost $1100 to buy the panel, controller, wiring, etc and have it installed. It probably includes 3 or 4 hours of labour and shop at $200 per hour. I think it is worthwhile even at that price when eliminating the need for a generator for many years. But I ordered the Renogy 100 W kit for $250 (Amazon Canada) and will have a go at installing it myself. Probably will add more collector next year.

This reminds me so much of my experience adding a sun room onto our house this year. I hired an electric company to do the wiring, though it is the trade I know most about. Cost was $1100, that's $70/hr for the man plus $20/hr for tools. After I closed up the walls I took over installing the lights and plugins myself. I should have done the whole job, just lacked confidence and worried about displeasing the inspector. Then a friend told me he wired his garage and got nothing but praise from the inspector. And this friend called me over to install a phone jack for him! You can do it if you are interested and have a source of advice like this forum.

Whoever said get dealer to prewire and finish it yourself later was right on.

You could manage without solar for a while. We can boondock without solar or generator for 4 days. No TV or microwave. Led lights.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
This seems VERY high for such a small system. Read the info on AM solar website as suggested. They have a stellar reputation and have done this for years.

I am off tomorrow to get solar system #2(new rv) installed by them, You need to understand what a solar system can and cannot do for you - battery storage is a big issue coupled with how fast you can charge up the batteries. Learn before you leap.

TucsonAZ
Explorer
Explorer
That's way too much! I just bought eight 230w Solarworld panels at $0.69 a watt but the reality is they're going to do an inferior job on the install and wiring also. On a 12v system you should have some seriously thick wire being used or your voltage drops will make the system all but pointless. You should have a good charge controller a battery monitor and so on. For the money they want build yourself a good proper system or spend the $150 shipped for the 100w Renogy kit and do it yourself, either way you'll have a far better system than what they're offering.

Also, don't expect a ton from 100w, with a PWM charge controller you're going to get 80w top, even with 5 hours of full sun a day that's only 400 watts of power a day. You should never drain your battery past 50% so that would be enough to keep a healthy one battery system topped off or extend your boondocking but you will have to know the limitations.

I have 1,380 watts on my roof and still have to be reasonable with use.

RJsfishin
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like about double priced to me.

I have 3 panels plus controller plus some wiring, cost $390.
Throw in $400 for labor, ya got $790 total.
Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KD/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters w/ ox, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

hmknightnc
Explorer
Explorer
Way too much money. 265 watt system with Morningstar controller on my FW. About $700 self installed 2 years ago. I wouldn't give them more than $300 for the install assuming they used name brand products.

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
There is a difference between is what you are getting a good deal, is it enough and ultimately if done right, is solar something you would be willing pay for to get a need filled.

For us it is priceless to be able to be out in the middle of no where and camp comfortably without worrying about the batteries, listen to a generator or use the trailer like a tent. It's our rolling cabin and we use everything but the roof top air. We do have five times as solar as you are looking at and have yet to spend as much, but it gives you a idea of what can be done.

So what were you planning on using the solar for?
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Solar panels are 'worth the money' - however do not accept a "Deal" like that one! I would tell them you don't want that brand anymore and go find another RV to look at.

You can buy a 100 watt panel for close to $100. Why spend more? They are probably also jacking up the prices on everything that much and more!

The price they quoted you is $11 per rated watt, and 100 watts is not even enough to make up for what the CO meter, propane detector and refrigerator use (35 amp hour per day). You would need a 120 watt panel to make that much power.

The manufacture should have a standard 100 watt panel, with a 300 watt upgrade that costs something on the order of around $1,000. At least that would give you a decent sized system, for your money! And it would do more than just keep up. IT also shades part of your roof! and keeps it cooler inside.

Check out this supplier. SunElec.com Look for a 12 volt "Nominal" solar panel, and a PWM controller. You can buy a 10 amp or 20 amp rated PWM controller for less than $50, and they will work well enough. You can spend the extra cash you are saving towards another panel, if you need more power.

Hopefully manufactures will figure out that solar panels should be standard, like dual pane windows, and refrigerators!

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com