cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12V circuit breaker

Awilson
Explorer
Explorer
My slide out has stopped working and I can hear the breaker tripping. My toggle switch was stuck on the 'IN' position, unbeknownst to me so the breaker had been tripping ever few seconds for about three hours. I know nothing about these but could a breaker wear out or become weak? If I unplug the slide out motor there is enough power to light the test light in either direction. Wiring on the motor looks fine but there is no movement at all on the motor when the switch is activated. The motor went bad on this same one last year and melted the wiring so it makes me wonder and hope the breaker is bad and not the motor again. Power Gear is no cheap date.
Thanks,
Alan
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Q: Could the breaker wear out or become weak?
A: Yes very very yes.. Happened to me yes.. (Dash HEVAC in my case) Man I can tell you I was glad to pop a new breaker in that slot!!!!!!!!! IN AUGUST!!!!
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Awilson
Explorer
Explorer
As luck would have it I was looking online trying to find a source for the motor and discovered Power Gear motors are built by a company in Missouri. If anyone is interested in what I find out let me know and I will post that information. It sounds like I can purchase a new one but it has to be prepay as they cannot do a CC. I am also going to find out if they can rebuild them. This could end up being much easier than it has been in the past.
Thanks,
Alan

Awilson
Explorer
Explorer
I found out why the switch was sticking. The housing the switch sits in was too snug making the switch bind. When I took it out it would not stick at all. Put it back in and it sticks again so I made the opening slightly bigger and replaced the switch, tried it and repeated that three times before it worked freely multiple times. I think this has been an issue since it was new as this is at least the third unit put on this MH according to the numbers on the motors. I really hope this is the source of my headache.
Thanks,
Alan

BTPO1
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Be sure to fix or replace the sticking switch right away. You may have found the reason for the original slide motor failure...

Roy Ken

X2 on replacing the switch. It makes no since to replace the auto resetting breaker if you do not fix the problem.

I would also change the auto setting circuit breaker to a manual breaker as stated above. JMO
Jack
2003 Rexhall Vision 27'
2019 Chevrolet Equinox
States we have been to with this MH

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A "million dollar" motor on top of which is a hassle to replace.t
A priceless vacation
And garbage control and protection
I don't get it

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Every time the breaker trips, it burns the contacts a little. Here is what a burned one looks like. Yours is likely worse.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be sure to fix or replace the sticking switch right away. You may have found the reason for the original slide motor failure...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Awilson
Explorer
Explorer
Guys I appreciate the quick responses. I am really hoping it didn't burn up the motor again as those Power Gear motors are not cheap. I had one get a dead short last year and ruined it. This one has only been used for 6 weeks and four of those weeks were in one spot. I am kicking myself for not hearing the breaker tripping before we took off. Engine noise was covering it up. I discovered it when I was turning on the main power shut off but it was not very loud like it was last year when it tripped.
Thanks,
Alan

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
You could also replace the self resetting CB with a manual reset CB.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
They can- constant tripping and resetting would be tough on the contacts. I would stick a fuse of the same value in its place to test.
-- Chris Bryant