cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1995 Bounder F 53 Coolant Tank, Hydraulic Hose

tunabob
Explorer
Explorer
So here is my next project I need advice on.

1. My coolant recovery tank disintegrated a few years ago. I ran to the parts store and bought what they had in stock. In retrospect it may be to small. As long as I check and make sure the coolant tank is topped of on each stop we are good, but at times we do loose some coolant, I am thinking this is at least partially because there is not enough capacity to hold the coolant when the motor get good and warm. I have been doing some research and see where there are 36 oz tanks. any advice would be helpful.
2. I have a leak on the hyd jack supply line, it is on the front right (passenger side). When I did the left one I removed it and took to a shop and they made a replacement. Now I see Amazon sales these and I am asking if anyone knows the size in both length and fitting size. Thanks again. Ken
4 REPLIES 4

tunabob
Explorer
Explorer
I went ahead and ordered a 2 quart capacity tank from dorman. Thanks.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
Some time in the 1980/90s Ford changed to a "different" style of cooling system. Actually, they revived a very old style of cooling system. One where the reservoir for the cooling system was remotely mount from the radiator (on a typical radiator, the very top part of the radiator is actually the reservoir).

With this type of a system, the remote reservoir is under the same pressure as the rest of the cooling system. When this type of system was first introduced in the 1950s the tank was made out of brass or copper. When Ford brought it back the reservoir was had out of heavy, high temperature plastic, but it is still pressurized.

This system works very well and has advantages over a traditional cooling system with an overflow tank. The biggest advantage is that "burping" the system (expelling air) is no longer required. When filling an empty system, fill through the remote reservoir. Run the engine up to operating temperature, shutdown and let fully cool. On more top off and you should be good !

Bottom line, if that tank develops a leak, buy a new one from your Ford dealer. Don't trust aftermarket tanks !

The overflow tank on the OP's MH is NOT pressurized.
Any aftermarket tank of adequate capacity will work.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Some time in the 1980/90s Ford changed to a "different" style of cooling system. Actually, they revived a very old style of cooling system. One where the reservoir for the cooling system was remotely mount from the radiator (on a typical radiator, the very top part of the radiator is actually the reservoir).

With this type of a system, the remote reservoir is under the same pressure as the rest of the cooling system. When this type of system was first introduced in the 1950s the tank was made out of brass or copper. When Ford brought it back the reservoir was had out of heavy, high temperature plastic, but it is still pressurized.

This system works very well and has advantages over a traditional cooling system with an overflow tank. The biggest advantage is that "burping" the system (expelling air) is no longer required. When filling an empty system, fill through the remote reservoir. Run the engine up to operating temperature, shutdown and let fully cool. On more top off and you should be good !

Bottom line, if that tank develops a leak, buy a new one from your Ford dealer. Don't trust aftermarket tanks !

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Ken, the coolant tank on my 95 Bounder failed several years ago. I'm using a small tank from the parts store with no problem.
The first place to look for leaks on your F53 is the left lower corner of the radiator. The brass tabs on the radiator lose tension and let the gasket leak. If you see coolant dripping from the center hole in the core support, it's the radiator.
The Factory OEM jacks were 3 point Power Gear. If you have 4 point jacks, they are aftermarket and probably HWH. Don't worry about getting the hose too long, just lose the extra length in a loop.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson