cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2 way radio in RV????

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
My 15yo Grand-Son and I are leaving on a three week cross country epic trip. We have CB and GMRS/FRS radios in the truck. He wants to place a sign on the back of the trailer telling folks we are monitoring certain channels. Are there any channels that RVs use for this type of thing?
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT
18 REPLIES 18

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well try GMRS to do thatโ€ฆ ainโ€™t really gonna work either.
CB is probably still the best bet, but itโ€™s nowhere near as popular or used by truckers as much as it once was.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
I donโ€™t know that any real number of people are switching to GMRS.
You probably have a better chance at reaching someone on Facebook or Instagram with your cell phone than on any radio.

when approaching a big city, exactly how do I contact oncoming traffic/truckers on facebook to determine best way thru, north/south or straight thru?

bumpy

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I donโ€™t know that any real number of people are switching to GMRS.
You probably have a better chance at reaching someone on Facebook or Instagram with your cell phone than on any radio.

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Alan_Hepburn wrote:

So, with people switching to GMRS is there a "traditional" channel for anything yet?

prepper groups are tending towards a couple of channels. Many walmart store radios are on a particular frequency. The alleged travel channel, I've never heard anything on it.

Alan_Hepburn
Explorer
Explorer
burningman wrote:
19 was traditionally the east-west highway channel.
17 was the north-south channel.
3 is the dump truck and similar vocational truck channel.
6 is the skip-shooter channel.

Most big-trucks donโ€™t even use CB anymore. Dump trucks use it mostly for talking to the loader and scale house when theyโ€™re at a yard.

So, with people switching to GMRS is there a "traditional" channel for anything yet?
----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
19 was traditionally the east-west highway channel.
17 was the north-south channel.
3 is the dump truck and similar vocational truck channel.
6 is the skip-shooter channel.

Most big-trucks donโ€™t even use CB anymore. Dump trucks use it mostly for talking to the loader and scale house when theyโ€™re at a yard.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
salty language, clean up CB. you are talking about the 80s aren't you?
bumpy

Oh something I did when traveling back in he heyday of CB.
I had a single earpiece speaker
Only I heard the occasionally off-color remark or "Salty" language.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's an unofficial GMRS travel channel that I've never heard anything on freq 462.6750 PL 22 (141.3)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
CBs are an antiquated technology. You might find a stray person to talk to but if you are looking for traffic info, a good app on your cell will do a better job.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Vulgar language has been the "norm" on the wasteland known as CB since the 1970s and on and was still there in 2003 when I bought another new truck and decided to fully retire my last CB from vehicle service.

Before then I would turn it on and within 10 minutes time could no longer stand the abuse that was pouring out of the speaker..

Some folks can turn a deaf ear to the mess, never realizing how bad it can get and some folks can't.

I don't expect CB to have gotten better over time, it is not like a "fine wine"..

Decided it was no longer worth the hassle to go through mounting, installing running wire and adjusting antenna.

Turns out, I don't miss it one bit and makes moving to another vehicle much less work.

At least folks have been warned that it isn't exactly a "G" or even "PG" kind of thing.

so you haven't listened to the cb for 18 years. you obviously have no current information. I think in the last 18 years I have heard about 3 or four of these outbursts. perhaps I am not traveling in as slutty an area as you.
bumpy

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Vulgar language has been the "norm" on the wasteland known as CB since the 1970s and on and was still there in 2003 when I bought another new truck and decided to fully retire my last CB from vehicle service.

Before then I would turn it on and within 10 minutes time could no longer stand the abuse that was pouring out of the speaker..

Some folks can turn a deaf ear to the mess, never realizing how bad it can get and some folks can't.

I don't expect CB to have gotten better over time, it is not like a "fine wine"..

Decided it was no longer worth the hassle to go through mounting, installing running wire and adjusting antenna.

Turns out, I don't miss it one bit and makes moving to another vehicle much less work.

At least folks have been warned that it isn't exactly a "G" or even "PG" kind of thing.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bumpy

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
CB chatter has gone way down most likely due to cells and other com availability. He may get some good conservations. Truckers will sometimes use it but expect some colorful language, but you GS is 15... Just letting you know.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a portable CB, monitor 19 if I see traffic slowing down. Has helped in some circumstances.