cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

50 Amp Power Panel

newsomer
Explorer
Explorer
I am replacing a power panel on our property. The old power panel only had 20 amp 120 volt recepticals. A friend who is a certifiex master electrician (now retired and out of state) inspected the panel and showed me it had 60 amp service. I have bought a panel box (Siemens TL137US) to install. The service is 4 ga three wire, two hot legs and a common. I know where to connect all three but where do I go with the ground bar in the box? Is it grounded to the panel box which is connected to the steel post in the ground? I found a grounding rod in the ground about eight feet from the post but I'm not sure if that's required if the system is grounded by the post.
2015 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 36LA
To Infinity, and Beyond!
- Our Campsites (Bing Maps)
17 REPLIES 17

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of variables here on what is and is not allowed by the electrical code. I would suggest consulting a professional in your area. For example when adding a sub panel to a separate location (commonly a detached garage) the code requirements can differ depending on how far it is from the main structure. (I forget the exact distance in question, but I think it is something like more or less than 75 ft apart)

Donnoh
Explorer
Explorer
The box you're changing out to is a temporary power outlet panel. To bring it up to code you need a separate grounding conductor going back to the main panel. Do not add another ground rod and call it good unless you want to set yourself up for a major hurt in the future.
Since this is probably replacing a very old installation, I believe it is considered grandfathered and you can tie your ground wires inside the new panel into the neutral buss bar inside the new power panel. I would check with your local electrical inspector before doing this however.
The safest thing to do would be to change out the 3 wire feed with a 4 wire feed.

sgip2000
Explorer
Explorer
Ground rod is still required. The box being attached to the post, will bond a ground path to the post, then attached a ground wire to the ground rod from the ground bus in the panel.