cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp RV to a 15 amp household.

Linedog
Explorer
Explorer
I'm picking up a new 5th wheel that's 50 amp and I would like to plug it into my garage. I currently have our 30 amp trailer plugged in to keep the batteries charged and run the TV and small items once in a while. I would do the same for the 5th wheel, keep the batteries charged etc. I just don't like the idea of hauling out my 50 amp cord, then using the 50-30 dog bone just to plug it into the house. I have looked high and low and am thinking I'll have to make one! Anybody seen one or know where to find one?
Poptarts and gravy, It's what's for dinner.
21 REPLIES 21

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
DrewE wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
mmiille wrote:
I use a wye adapter to plug into two different outlets. Get more amps. They can't be GFCI outlets though.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-50-Amp-Optimizer-250-Volt-Connector/dp/B007H5WUGI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1439811355&sr=8-18&keywords=rv+power+cord+30+amp

That looks kind of suicide-cordy to me... How can they legally sell things like that?

Probably they have all sorts of disclaimers on the package.

Disclaimers do not absolve the manufacturer of liability. Any good product liability or personal injury lawyer could rip those disclaimers apart in court in a matter of seconds. A known hazard is a known hazard, moreso when you admit it in the form of a disclaimer on the package.

Of course it now makes sense that the exposed plug is not hot, unless something is really really wrong.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
50 amp twist lock to 15 amp camping world

Give theis a try
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
I think you can get them at camping world. Let me see if I can find it. My local RV dealer stocks them They are almost $100 but well worth the hassle
1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
AllegroD wrote:
Amazon

Not the same as the one pictured.
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer
DrewE wrote:
mkirsch wrote:
mmiille wrote:
I use a wye adapter to plug into two different outlets. Get more amps. They can't be GFCI outlets though.

http://www.amazon.com/Conntek-50-Amp-Optimizer-250-Volt-Connector/dp/B007H5WUGI/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&qid=1439811355&sr=8-18&keywords=rv+power+cord+30+amp

That looks kind of suicide-cordy to me... How can they legally sell things like that?

Probably they have all sorts of disclaimers on the package. (As an aside, the 50A male to 30A female reducers typically have fine print that states they should only be used on supply circuits with 30A breakers or fuses, and similarly the 30A to 15A adapters state they should be limited to 15A circuits. I've never seen a 30A RV outlet wired to a 15A breaker in my life, so this fine print must be routinely ignored...but it provides some sort of legal protection for the maker, and makes them at least nominally code compliant when used according to the manufacturer's instructions.)

These are not quite as dangerous as a male-to-male "widowmaker" cord, in that one unplugged male connector is not generally hot from the other one. (If the RV had any actual 240V loads, there would be a sneak path from one to the other.) They do, however, tie the two neutral lines together, which can easily lead to overloading a neutral, particularly if the two circuits are on the same leg. A reverse polarity or otherwise miswired outlet could also lead to a popped breaker or fireworks with one of these.

More generally speaking, if a GFCI pops (and it's not due to the GFCI itself being faulty), something is introducing a ground or neutral fault or other bad situation into the wiring, and the proper and safe solution is to fix the fault rather than avoid using the GFCI.

I use one at least a couple times per year and yes there could be issues if something isn't wired right. You have the same issue with any wiring. Mine works great.
Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
mmiille wrote:

Probably they have all sorts of disclaimers on the package. (As an aside, the 50A male to 30A female reducers typically have fine print that states they should only be used on supply circuits with 30A breakers or fuses, and similarly the 30A to 15A adapters state they should be limited to 15A circuits. I've never seen a 30A RV outlet wired to a 15A breaker in my life, so this fine print must be routinely ignored...but it provides some sort of legal protection for the maker, and makes them at least nominally code compliant when used according to the manufacturer's instructions.)

These are not quite as dangerous as a male-to-male "widowmaker" cord, in that one unplugged male connector is not generally hot from the other one. (If the RV had any actual 240V loads, there would be a sneak path from one to the other.) They do, however, tie the two neutral lines together, which can easily lead to overloading a neutral, particularly if the two circuits are on the same leg. A reverse polarity or otherwise miswired outlet could also lead to a popped breaker or fireworks with one of these.

More generally speaking, if a GFCI pops (and it's not due to the GFCI itself being faulty), something is introducing a ground or neutral fault or other bad situation into the wiring, and the proper and safe solution is to fix the fault rather than avoid using the GFCI.

taviking22
Explorer
Explorer
raroberts wrote:
I do this all the time when I bring my trailer home to pack. There is a 50 amp to 30 amp pigtail and a 30 to 15 amp converter block I use to plug in the trailer t charge the batteries and run fridge. I can even run th a/c sometimes. It sometimes it blows the breaker

What raroberts said!
taviking22
Omaha, NE

'06 2500HD Silverado 4X4, Duramax LBZ, Firestone air bags
2008 Tracker Pro Guide V-16 Boat
2012 Jayco Pinnacle 31RLTS

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
They make that thing in three sizes.. From the photo the outlet end (marinco end) is clearly 50 amp (3 slots plus a metal piece on the side (Safety ground).

They make them with 15 amp plugs (Shown) 30 amp plugs (not shown) and 50 amp plugs (Also not shown) I used to have a 30 amp version till .. Well you know what happens to 30 amp plugs and sockets over time.

So rather than deal with that happening again I just spliced the 30 amp extension cord onto the remains of the pigtail.. Works great, my #1 30 amp cord is a Super Flex.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
mmiille wrote:

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

AllegroD
Nomad
Nomad

mmiille
Explorer
Explorer

Martin & Cheryl
40 Foot 2009 Damon Tuscany 4076
Cummins 360, Hyundai Santa Fe
Full timing since 2010.

Linedog
Explorer
Explorer
Yup that's the thing!
Poptarts and gravy, It's what's for dinner.

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Goostoff wrote:
This is what you are looking for. I know the struggles of not wanting to drag that 50 amp cord out all the time.

Nice, where do you get that one?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Goostoff
Explorer
Explorer
This is what you are looking for. I know the struggles of not wanting to drag that 50 amp cord out all the time.

1993 Chevy C3500
2005 Cedar Creek 34RLTS