cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

50 amp TT with generator

Pammuela
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a TT (2021 Jayfeather 27BHB). It is a 50 amp trailer and we have a Westinghouse I4500 generator. Based on the output of the generator it should run our AC, (13500 BTU) but the generator only has a 30amp plug and we have an adapter. I have 2 questions - 1) should we be using an EMS with the generator and 2) is our generator big enough to run our AC?

Thanks in advance for your help!
11 REPLIES 11

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
DrewE wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
Usually, 2 air/con units are on separate legs of the 240v, so you need to get power to both legs without creating a conflict between the 2 hots.

The standard 30A to 50A plug adapters will do just that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "creating a conflict between the two hots"; on most RVs, they are pretty practically independent of each other, only sharing the same neutral return (and, of course, safety ground). If you have any 240V circuits--which are not too commonly found in RVs--then they just won't have power when connected to the 120V supply since both legs are at the same potential all the time.

What he means is that the 2 air conditioners are on separate legs of the 50 amp system. Or should be. A 30 to 50 dog bone adapter puts them on the same (30 amp) leg. That is "creating a conflict between the two hots" since both A/C units may try to start up at the same time.
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
Usually, 2 air/con units are on separate legs of the 240v, so you need to get power to both legs without creating a conflict between the 2 hots.

The standard 30A to 50A plug adapters will do just that.

I'm not sure what you mean by "creating a conflict between the two hots"; on most RVs, they are pretty practically independent of each other, only sharing the same neutral return (and, of course, safety ground). If you have any 240V circuits--which are not too commonly found in RVs--then they just won't have power when connected to the 120V supply since both legs are at the same potential all the time.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depending on yoru generator it may be possible to run TWO Air conditioners but since I do not know the genny... I can not be sure.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
theoldwizard1 wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
If it's a single air/con unit, yes. If it's multiple air/con units...maybe, maybe not.

Probably with a MicroAir Easy Start on both !

With soft start and also check how things are wired up, it's possible. Usually, 2 air/con units are on separate legs of the 240v, so you need to get power to both legs without creating a conflict between the 2 hots.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
If it's a single air/con unit, yes. If it's multiple air/con units...maybe, maybe not.

Probably with a MicroAir Easy Start on both !

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Quite possible your EMS would not allow your genny to power your trailer.

If your EMS shows an open ground just use a neutral bonding plug which you can make yourself.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Quite possible your EMS would not allow your genny to power your trailer.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a Westinghouse generator. Well made, lasts if you regularly service it. Enjoy your new TT. Consider reading the basics on RV electricity.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
no need for ems

yes it should run the air.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.