cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

921 Base LED's That Will Last

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like many, I think it'd be nice to replace our incandescent 921 bulbs with bright, warm white, LED's.

Not knowing it was Cool White, I bought a "Gold Stars" 24-element LED with 921 base from Amazon. I wanted something that wouldn't melt the diffuser lens in our range hood. Cool White was the first problem. Hard to tell how meat is cooking on the stove with that color temperature. OK, my bad, but in a few dozen trips, longest two weeks, all but two of its elements have gone dark. Not marked as such, but its elements look like 3528 chips.

Meanwhile, I bought a pack of two GRV brand 5050 warm white, again from Amazon. One of the two was DOA. Right out of the Box! Never Lit! So I sent those back.

I don't want to be a techie, really don't want 100 of them shipped from China...

What can I order, say in a package of six, that's a durable, warm white, 921 base LED that'll last longer than a season?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB
11 REPLIES 11

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
pnichols wrote:
This LED bulb has been going strong in the range hood for years and years and still lights up just fine after many hot hours above the burners.

Thanks, Phil! Hoping for the same results. Part of why I want LED in the range hood is to keep the lens/diffuser/cover from being melted through by heat. Not from the Range, from the 921 BULB.

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
FWIW, I was an early adopter of LEDS in our RV .... changed all interior lights to LED years ago.

This included exchanging the incandescent bulb in the range hood with an LED bulb. This LED bulb has been going strong in the range hood for years and years and still lights up just fine after many hot hours above the burners.

Early adoption of LEDS costs us plenty back then, and maybe they were built better considering what they cost?
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a few of a different type from Amazon, $2-something apeice, cheap enough to try out. They're "Lollipops" but not as large or bright as the first ones. Components exposed on the back side. We'll see. Or at least I hope we'll have light to see...

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
It displeases me when a light emitting diode fails. So, before I slap an emitter onto something I take a moment and stuff a thermometer in it's mouth.

Makes little sense to get all dressed up only to walk in front of a speeding bus.

Like baking a cake at 500F

Why destroy stuff?

๐Ÿ™‚

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
My favortie ever t-10 bulbs, in terms of brightness and color, are now falling like flies. The ones that got the hottest are the first to go.

Luckily they were only 50 cents each, and I've gotten a year+ from most of them and replacing them is fast and quick.

Since i am not going to add heatsinking or ventilation to them I will continue same path using leds with 5730 chipsets driven hard, and use a PWM dimmer on them when max brightness is not required

JiminDenver
Explorer
Explorer
Not that I could say where to get them today but 5 years ago I had a thread about the panels and cobs I installed in my trailer. To this date the only failures have been one pigtail needing to be resoldered on a panel and one emitter started blinking on one of the cobs a few weeks ago. I have had to replace the big 120 cob in the porch light, it gets left on a lot and went out during a week of heavy rain.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/26129367.cfm
2011 GulfStream Amerilite 25BH
2003 Ford Expedition with 435w tilting portable/ TS-MPPT-45
750w solar , TS-MPPT-60 on the trailer
675 Ah bank, Trip-lite 1250fc inverter
Sportsman 2200w inverter generator

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Neighbor pinned 10 watt LED with star heat sink under range hood. About 80 others identical construction 800 ma drive current have never failed - 5 years.

Unit was removed. New 800 ma chip installed. 36cfm 12 volt fan added. Unit lasted six months. She does a lot of baking.

Sorry to say, that 10mm x 60mm star heat sink is about a hundred times larger than what I see recommended above. Cannot fight city hall with range hood heat vs LED junction temperature.

Better to angle beam to work area from the side of the hood. and exhaust heated air from the hood.

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We replaced all our interior and most of our exterior incandescent bulbs with flatpanel LEDs from an Ebay seller recommended by this forum about 4 years ago. To date none have failed, even with our Iota IQ4 converter pumping out 14.8Vdc and none of the LED panels containing a voltage regulator. I had to buy a few LEDs sourced here in the US for about 5 times the price of the Ebay LEDs, much to my dismay those have all failed, go figure. Hope you find something that works for you.

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Go to:---------Link--- m4products.com

Got mine in 2015, havent lost one yet.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
LED.

Temperature critical

Range hood.

Ranges do things for a living

Includes cooking LEDs

40F increase can make the difference between years of operation and hours of operation.

I would keep it in mind...

Corkey05
Explorer
Explorer
I found mine at Lowes in the garden section sold as replacement lights for landscaping fixtures.

Although the package doesn't say, the light I get is around 150 lumens, and are warm white and throw a natural look when used. I tried them because they are designed for outdoor environment (wish me luck), but I still don't know if they really are. The good news is they have been working for over two years without issues, and they sure are cool to the touch.

I have about 30 of them throughout the coach that replace the bulbs in my puck lights.
2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292