cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A 50amp lesson learned

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
We have had our new 5th wheel for about a month now. It's our first RV with 50amp service. All previous have had 30amp.

I moved it about 50 miles yesterday to a new RV park. When I arrived I plugged into the 50A service at the site. Both lights lighted on the power cord indicating to me that everything was connected properly. When I went into the rig I noticed that the clock on the microwave had not started. I chalked that up to the plug perhaps becoming is connected while bumping down California's freeways. All other AC appliances were working properly.

My wife and I went out to dinner. When we returned the LED lights in the trailer appeared dim check the battery voltage and it was low. That really got me to cursing and swearing at the manufacturer for a sloppy build. In any case I watched some tv (in the dark) and got up early in the AM to troubleshoot the problem.

I decided I'd plug in battery charger to one of the outside AC outlets and charge up the battery. Low and behold the charger didn't come on! Plugged in to one of the inside outlets and it worked properly.

That got me to looking at the breaker panel again I noticed the breakers for the microwave, converter and outside outlets were all physically next to one another. I figure the breaker module was bad.

Oops forgot to say when the charger wouldn't work on the outside outlet I checked it with a voltmeter and got a reading of 20V. When my selling dealer opened I called the service advisor and was hot under the collar! He listened to my description and said he'd get back to me which he did in about 10 minutes.

When he called back he asked if the space also had 30A service and whether I had a 50 --> 30A pigtail. I answered yes to both. He suggested I plug in to the 30A which I did and voila - Problem Solved! It was the parks service, not the RV.

Now I know not to believe the idiot lights on the cord. One leg of the service must have been at 20V which was enough to light the LED but of course not enough to power anything. ??
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
22 REPLIES 22

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
There are surge protectors and Surge Protectors

Actually there are 'Surge GUARDS' and Surge PROTECTORS'

Surge Guard..LED lights

Surge Protector.....Full Feature Units

Everyone has recommended Surge Protectors not 'Guards'
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are surge protectors and Surge Protectors

One made by Progressive Industreies (And others) Has a few LED lights and it does a decent job of clipping spikes, but a true surge and it's ... Toast
A spike is a fast rise in voltage, lasting generally less than 1 60th of a second, Spikes on a 120 volt line can easily hit 1,ooo volts. A SURGE can be seconds, or even minutes, not as high as a SPIKE but (Typically only about double the proper voltage) but the Spike supressor can not absorb that much power.

The ones you want (True Surge Protectors) not only have a led or so, but a digital read out that shows, generally, VOltage and current and on 50 amps cycles between L-1, Voltage, and current, L-2 Voltage and current and back to L-1 again (on a 30 amp unit it blinks AMPS then VOLTS then AMPS or the other way around)

If it shuts down it often says why "Low voltage L-1" or "you plugged into 220 volts" (Ok it's not that wordy but it gives the info you need.

For Progressive Industries you want the PT-50C or the HW-50C

Not the one with just the LED's

NOTE: nothing wrong with the LED only unit, it provides a valuable service, I have a version of that device installed here.. But I also have one with a digital read out.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
50A Surge protector.......Progressive Industries

Problem solved!

In addition, EVERY RV owner should carry a multi-meter....and learn how to use it. EVERY ONE.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
It was the parks service, not the RV.

So you bought a 5th with 50 amp service but didn't spend a few more $$$ investing in a Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS that would have saved you all this grief? :R Can we presume that now you've "learned your lesson" you have ordered one? :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Problem solved!

X2

X3

We have a hard wired one and it has saved our system more than once.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

MrWizard
Moved from technology
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:

Problem solved!