cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/C trouble

campin4kids
Explorer
Explorer
Our AC has suddenly stopped working in our 29' camper. The air blows just fine but it stopped producing cold air. Where do I begin?
2003 Avalanche
1992 29S Wilderness
Steve 51, Me, Deb 51,
DS 22, DD 19, DD 17, DD 15
5 REPLIES 5

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Would help to know Make, Model, Size (BTU) and Ducted or Non-Ducted. Non-ducted with just a couple knobs on the inside portion and no wall thermostat is easier to troubleshoot.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer

This is what a capacitor looks like when the inside has overpressurized, and the top "pops" up. and will require replacement. Also I have tested capacitors and found that they do not have the rated capacitance, so replacing the capacitor is not a bad idea. You might also want to install a SPPE4, it is rated at 120 volts. It can speed up the process of starting the compressor, especially useful while on a generator, or lower voltage.

I would also suggest getting a 'kill-a-watt' from E-bay, they are about $22. It will plug into a receptacle, and give you the line voltage. If it goes below 105 volts, then it is time to shut off the A/C until it improves.

If you frequently want to camp in a RV park that has low voltage in the summertime, then I would also suggest buying a $350 Hughes Autormormer. It will boost the voltage by 12 volts when in use. So 105 volts becomes 117 and you can run the A/C all summer long!

My thought is that you have low voltage to the A/C and it is tripping on high temp / high amperage overload that trips out only the compressor.

http://www.supco.com/eclass.htm

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Probably the compressor start capacitor is bad......under/inside roof shroud cover
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I take it the compressor stopped running beings it suddenly quit cooling. If so, make sure the power is off to the RV and check/repair all t-stat and power wiring. Check/repair connections and components on the control board. If none of that works remove the AC plastic cover and compressor elec. box cover and look for and replace any burnt wires/connectors or components. If everything looks OK, turn the power on and use a volt meter and amp clamp to track down the problem. If you can make repairs and save the AC, do a thorough cleaning of the coils, fan blade and blower wheel and comb the fins to keep it running up to snuff. I do mine every two years, max, if I've been using the AC very much. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Moved from Forum Technical Support