cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A&E 8500 Awning

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Anybody ever have a problem with the safety catch.. the little lever you move to have the awning either extend or retract. It seems like the detent that holds it in either the roll up or roll down position is gone. The lever just flops around and will not stay in position. Not bad on the extend, but when retracting it keeps flipping down stopping the awning from rolling up.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain
Wayne & Leila and Teddi (the Kid in the brown fuzzy pyjamas)

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.
14 REPLIES 14

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
Spring on order. Thanks to all.
1999 Winnebego Chieftain

Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
I had exactly same problem. There is no parts available-it has to be replaced as an assembly, that is why everybody is talking about winding and unwinding. The 1/8 pin is what is holding the big spring locked when removing from vertical rail. When out of vertical rail, remove tension with large crescent wrench and remove the pin before drilling the rivets out. New assembly will have to be wound-up after riveting into the drum and locked with pin before you can put in into the vertical rail. That is exactly what I did and still have all my fingers.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
stubblejumper wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
stubblejumper wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
The original lock cam was a"knurled" round knob. After years of use the ridges would get filed down and then not catch. Starting about 10 years ago, Dometic redesigned the Cam lock system and now use a gear tooth lock system. You just need to get a new RH Torsion assbly. Doug

Doug
can I take the riveted end cap off without locking the torsion spring. If I am not mistaken the new ones have a cotter pin that goes through the holes in the end cap to lock the spring until installed.

There is NO tension on the new Torsion. You have to wind it after install. The OLD torsion, you have to release the tension BEFORE you drill out the rivets. Doug

Doug
Billyboy is referring to a small spring 2" in diam. on the latch, while everyone else is referring to the torsion spring. Is the latch spring -- only-- rerplacable?

It used to be. But, there is NO reason to replace it. The Knurled cam is the problem, NOT the spring. So, you replace with the Tooth/gear RH Torsion.

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
stubblejumper wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
The original lock cam was a"knurled" round knob. After years of use the ridges would get filed down and then not catch. Starting about 10 years ago, Dometic redesigned the Cam lock system and now use a gear tooth lock system. You just need to get a new RH Torsion assbly. Doug

Doug
can I take the riveted end cap off without locking the torsion spring. If I am not mistaken the new ones have a cotter pin that goes through the holes in the end cap to lock the spring until installed.

There is NO tension on the new Torsion. You have to wind it after install. The OLD torsion, you have to release the tension BEFORE you drill out the rivets. Doug

Doug
Billyboy is referring to a small spring 2" in diam. on the latch, while everyone else is referring to the torsion spring. Is the latch spring -- only-- rerplacable?
1999 Winnebego Chieftain

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
liborko wrote:
Yes. You have to rotate awning drum until you can see thru the hole, about 1/8 of an inch to insert the locking pin(wire, drill bit, cotter pin or such). Then you can drill out the three rivets and remove the spring assembly. After you replace the spring assembly you will have to wind up the spring per instructions that come with new assembly.

IF YOU DO THIS, MAKE SURE YOUR WIFE IS AVAILABLE TO GET YOU TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. ONCE YOU DRILL OUT THE RIVETS AND PULL THE CAP LOOSE, THERE IS NOTHING TO PREVENT THE SPRING FROM UNWINDING WITH TREMENDOUS FORCE. YOUR KNUCKLES AND FINGERS WILL BE SEVERELY HURT. DOUG

liborko
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. You have to rotate awning drum until you can see thru the hole, about 1/8 of an inch to insert the locking pin(wire, drill bit, cotter pin or such). Then you can drill out the three rivets and remove the spring assembly. After you replace the spring assembly you will have to wind up the spring per instructions that come with new assembly.

Wolfe
Explorer
Explorer
Subscribed, I have this same issue, can this be done safely without the dealer?

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
stubblejumper wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

Doug

stubblejumper
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:

Doug
1999 Winnebego Chieftain

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

Moved from Technology Corner

Dr_Quick
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a similar problem with the awning on my 98 Coachmen. Apparently in that era, they tried a different design for the "catch". I had to replace the spring end assembly with a new one. I was able to do this without removing the awning. If you need more information send me a PM.
Dr Quick

billyboy
Explorer
Explorer
I believe the little spring in the end cap is broken and not working. its about 2" in diameter, and easy to replace after you take the end cap off
09 winny adventurer 32h 33 ft towing 015 focus

forumcoach
Explorer
Explorer
You need a new torsion spring assembly. They run about $85.00 for that model.