cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Fumbling I Will Go MEGAWATT. Photobucket To Dropbos

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
This is a test. It is only a test. Soldering 10-turn Pot leads to Megawatt existing resistor. I am in the process of trying to fumble Boto----et images to Drop Box

The BORG. Not a shiny hood ornament. Dirty, dusty, been humming 24/7 for almost 2-years. Note wind up timer on side and 2-10 turn pots on roof. Red and Green pilot lamps are LED. The case contains two Megawatts and a 50-amp Schottky rectifier

My 20MB first-time-in-my-life-I-have-in-house-modem really helps. Installed 4:00 PM today.
13 REPLIES 13

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
OMG! Guess my interest in and possible learning something new of what the heck he's doing BOTHERED him... wutevahhh. lol
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
A $25,000* programmed controller interfacing with a 32 port $5,000 A to D interface and a few grand for FETs and SCRs would make it "easier".

The computer is reasonable. Three weeks of programmer's time, then two weeks of de-bugging, isn't cheap.

BULK CHARGING

We have a say 400 amp hour, 200 usable at 50% SOC

Down 200 amp hours, huh? Let's let the dominant Megawatt the one with the 12 hour time do ALL the work. No we are not using generator power for this one.

Dial in 14.8 voltage regulated on the pot. Five hours theoretical at 40 amperes charge rate is a pipe dream. Let's do a mental calisthenics and rudely GUESS (8) eight hours of bulk charge.

After all, this is the FIRST TIME the Borg will be used on this a flooded lead acid 400 amp hour battery bank.

Twist the timer to 8 hours.

Bored?

Come back in say 6 hours and see how the cells are doing.
6 hours and only four are bubbling? We weren't far off in our timer guess.

Return to find the timer shut of. AHHHH SUGAR! bigdeal. Twist the timer a tad then look at the cells. Oooooo they're all bubbling. The 8 hour guess was right on target. Not on target? Goose the timer another hour or so. Add that to the 8 hours.

Batteries are not feminine. They do not change their mind. If it took 9 hours this time it will take 9 hours the next time. 74% state of charge? Maybe 3 hours? This isn't a nuclear "psychics" crystal ball subject - an exact number or the plutonium will get angry.

Amplitude configured with time voltage/time is what determines when and how vigorously a flooded battery will start gassing. Higher than 14.8 volts gassing rapidly becomes overly sensitive to time spent at that voltage. Still worried. Fine. Set the voltage back to 14.7 or 14.5. Whatever you wish.

WITH A GENERATOR

Mama and Papa bear both go to work if the battery bank size warrants it. Dial both chargers up to 14.7 The one charger has a timer the second one doesn't. So a person can't do this and go over to friend's and watch a football game, drinking martinis a few hundred campsites distant.

Again, learn from the first episode how long it takes to get the cells bubbling.

Having an on-board ammeter makes this child's play. At 14.8 volts and a slump down to "X" amperes means the slightly bubbling batteries are charged.

This recipe may not be suitable for individuals who self induce short-term memory loss.

CRUDE means EFFECTIVE, and it means VERSATILE. When I go camping with $400 worth of batteries, I do not want to receive $300 worth of battery performance because a smart charger is insane and cannot tell a properly charged battery from ----.

If I EVER get Soooooooo lazy camping, that this CHARGER (not converter) overtaxes my energy or mental facilities, it it time to sell the rig, and go somewhere where room service is but just a "Dial 0" away.

But then I do not haul an $80,000 rig 300 miles, park, slam all the shutters closed, raise the satellite dish and tune in a television reality show depicting a crackling campfire while I watch DVD homicide dramas on another monitor, while the DW orders up elivered ribs and cracks a bottle of sparkling burgundy.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

b) Individual voltage controls. Different batteries different temperatures.
c) Schottky rectifier isolates the units. No isolator no parallel operation*
d) Timer on one charger. Allows it to be absorbsion charger with time limit
e) When timer shuts off unit # 1, unit # 2 continues as a float charger no timer

Okay, I get it ! A bit "crude", but very effective !

But what about bulk charging ?

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Two power units = unity power or Flexibility. In tandem 90 amperes charge rate

Separate:
a) Redundant safety factor. One fails the 2nd can take over
b) Individual voltage controls. Different batteries different temperatures.
c) Schottky rectifier isolates the units. No isolator no parallel operation*
d) Timer on one charger. Allows it to be absorbsion charger with time limit
e) When timer shuts off unit # 1, unit # 2 continues as a float charger no timer

So in essence if there is 6 cells of batteries, the Borg will charge them. Flooded, calcium, gelled, AGM. 12 hour timer can allow for a very big bank. Voltage set-point span 11.7 - 15.44

A voltage adjustment for each charger allows it to bulk charge or float anywhere I set it.

Set the voltage way way back. Start THREE HUNDRED WATT generator. Increase voltage just until generator starts to lug down. Must be increased every half hour. Or not.

Charge batteries 110F? No problem. -35F still no problem.

Important thing is when up to 12 hour timer runs down, 2nd charger set at float takes over automatically. Set it and forget it.

Weak Mexican power? Compensate. Turn voltage down to start off with then tweak up every so often.

*These power supply chargers can not work in tandem. One will shut down. The 500 ampere rated schottky is so huge it absolutely minimizes heat, and has a forward voltage drop of .17 at low or no load.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Timer charging is not critical when it comes to over charging. Who cares if the Borg absorbsion charger runs at 14.7 volts for one or five hours "too long"? The battery doesn't care. I don't care.

The BORG primary use is as a BATTERY CHARGER. Not a converter, inverter or perverter. It is incredibly flexible. And my 12 year old granddaughter works it just fine. She has started cars, charged the family fishing boat battery, then connected it to the Lifeline. Without an error or hesitation.

And Rashneesh the programmer, of Calcutta and the Lucky Dragon integrated circuit company had nothing to do with any of it...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Note wind up timer on side and 2-10 turn pots on roof. Red and Green pilot lamps are LED. The case contains two Megawatts and a 50-amp Schottky rectifier

Okay, here is your question. Why 2 Megatts (S-700s I assume) ? Parallel for more power ?

Why TWO 10 turn pots ?

And what the heck is the Schottky rectifier doing ????

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
So the additional external potentiometer is in parallel with the original. micro pot.

Do you set the micro pot to max resistance or to minimum resistance or does it not matter.

Appreciate the photos, Since Photobucket did their money grab regarding thrid party hosting, I deleted my account and many hundreds of photos stored there, and raise a giant middle finger towards them.

On the Cheapowatt, AND my Meanwell, I completely removed the original micro potentiometer and soldered wires to where the original pot once resided.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Head scratching is of little value during a dry run test. To spend a month creating articles only to have them swallowed is discouraging. The true test of interest is a response posted in words as a question.

I ain't into doing transcript back-flips to satisfy idle curiosity.

Edwin Holtzman, my physics professor "If they are merely browsing they will seek no specific answer"

The megawatt issue has been covered so many times, enough is enough. Interested parties are after specific instructions. I am trying to satisfy those interested parties.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
??? :h
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Can't slow down...

Something may be gaining on me...

BruceMc
Explorer III
Explorer III
Physical debugging, mental debugging (mental floss), analog/digital debugging, Mex, you do it all!

Pics have good depth of field, must be a small aperature , or a tiny camera (phone, etc).

Acting like a proton, life is much better.
2016 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
See the can of Raid?

Debugging

I'll work on it.

red31
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s380/mexbungalows/Soldering%20The%20Pot%20007_zpsafqc4gxp.jpg

missing s on the end of mexbungalow

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
One failure. Likely a typo somewhere.