Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A Word About DeOxit Cleaner And Preserver

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
DeOxit comes in different strengths.

The D100 in the needle tip bottle is much more powerful Than in other presentations.

The blue protector inside the needle tip bottle is much stronger than the others.

Working around the ocean the lesser strength material shows why the high percentage stuff is needed. Yep and it costs more. I had a WEN USA 320 watt soldering gun which did not heat correctly. The tubes the copper tip slipped into are aluminum. I scraped I loaded q-tips with valve grinding paste and rammed them into the bores. Weak improvement.

Then I did the same with the CAIG cleaner the D-100

WOW!

Before you get all excited about weird theory

A Kill-A-Watt meter collaborated a huge increase in power consumed. The soldering iron was a different animal. I then treated the bores with the Blue preservative. And that was 6 years ago. Aluminum to copper. Bare aluminum not tin plated copper.

Hold on to your shorts when you price this stuff.
8 REPLIES 8

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
About the only drawback with the red 100% is the it should be wiped if the preservative is to be used afterwards. A good assortment of q-tips is handy. I have been using the 100% red onto USB micro terminals since 2012 with no ill effects. Extraordinarily sensitive USB Micro connections for WiFi amplifiers. No change on the db scale in seven years except the stupendous first time jump in sensitivity gain.

landyacht318
Explorer
Explorer
Deoxit D series comes in many different packacges, some fast evaporation some slow, and the 5% and 100% solutions.

I thought I read that the D100 100% solution should not be left on, that it was for cleaning of majorly oxidized surfaces and should be wiped off afterwards, where the d5 5% solution was able to be left on without worry.

Deoxit has so much documentation i am not going to spend any more time looking for what i thought i once read about the differences of d100 and d5 regarding d100 needing to have the excess removed.

I've had some issues with spray cans either foaming up a from red tube or nozzle, and the replacement canof d5 sent by Caig not having any pinkish tint left over. The sprays cans in my opinion only good for areas requiring lots of surface area coverage. i waste a lot of it for doing smaller areas where the needle applicator would be much more precise and my next D series product will be either d5 or d100 in the bottle.

I've been spraying Shield S5 on my computer fan circuit boards which are always sucking in high salt content humid air and are very prone to corrosion. No failures on any S5 sprayed fans, although the wire entry into the hubs I cover in Amazing goop.

I have some faderlube f5 spray for potentiometers, but some Pots have been too far gone to be saved.

Precision mini swabs and mini bottle brushes sold at drug stores for intertooth cleaning are also extremely useful, to get inside pin and barrell connectors, or micro usb.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use De-Oxit spray (But avoid ocean front parking) I get it from allelectronics.com.. Yes. it makes a difference. big time.

Will look for the product in the original post.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
An acquaintance 45 years my junior told me USN aircraft carriers store 5 gallon pails of it and boxes of the dispenser needles. For the seagoing aircraft and shipboard electronics. Companies like Boeing and Lockheed use it. Intel, Bose, and Klipsch.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff all right, I just bought some more D100 and some S100 (Shield) last month. Never want to be without it when the need arises.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
It does work some magic. I had a circuit board that lived exposed to the elements without a conformal coating longer than intended. It was covered with that greenish white oxide "rust" that electronics get.

Hosed it with the D100, then wrapped with paper towel soaked in d100 and plastic wrap. A few hours later the crud was mostly gone - where did it go?

A little scrub with a tooth brush, board looks almost good as new and works great. Board is ENIG (gold) plated but some tiny pitting on the less protected components is the only evidence left of its previous hard life.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tioga George (RIP) often raved about DeOxit.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œHold on to your shorts when you price this stuff.โ€œ LOL!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad