cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner efficiency

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a new travel trailer and deliberately went with a non-ducted AC this time. It is working great in 100+degree heat. My thinking was to avoid the long runs of ducts in the ceiling where the maximum heat gain is likely. Does anyone know if it actually makes a difference in efficiency? I use a small fan to spread the cool air around and aid in circulation.
17 REPLIES 17

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have best of both.......
Ducted (cold air comes out farthest away from AC Unit) and a 'chill grill' which I can open and DUMP majority of discharge plenum straight down into kitchen/living area.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Well I have 43 years in the RV business and 38 of those as a RV technician. Still am. I was here for the non ducted and now for the majority of ducted. You do NOT state what size trailer. But, I can tell you, that Ducted is the BEST thing to have. I would NOT have a larger trailer(more than 22 foot) without ducted AC. The Cold loss is minimal. Doug

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
I would think that not having to cool the ducts, and even if well insulated,the space the ducts run through, would provide considerably more cool air to the living area.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler