cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Another Hot Water Heater problem

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have an 2001 Atwood 6 gallon water heater that will run one complete heating cycle then go into the lock out mode. If I shut off the switch then turn it back on, it works fine for another complete cycle then goes back into lock out.

I have replaced the control board, gas valve, thermostat, ECO, igniter, thermocouple and gas tube.
I have 12 plus volts at the board and have cleaned and confirmed a good ground.
Both the Thermostat and ECO switches check out fine with a continuity tester.
When itโ€™s operating, the flame is text book color. I also ran a rag through the U Tube to confirm no blockage or debris.

I did notice a voltage drop in the Red wire. 12.7 volts at board and 12.3 volts at Other end. Donโ€™t know if this matters or not but I am going to replace the connector.

I have a new regulator and manometer coming in the next day or so.

What am I missing?
Any help would be appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
When the water heater works the first time before lock out, does the Pop off valve leak or seep? Doug

No leakage whatsoever.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
When the water heater works the first time before lock out, does the Pop off valve leak or seep? Doug

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ran an overnight test and the water heater failed again. It went into lock out mode.

Domestic suggests that I take it to a service center because the chance of having multiple bad boards is very slim. Even though everything points to a bad board according to the Atwood troubleshooting guide.

Talking to PDX Wholesale about options to get another board.

Playing the waiting game now.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:
fyrflie wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
What you have is what the defective boards did. Doug

Just installed a new board and it wonโ€™t even start.
When you turn the switch on, it goes directly to lock out. Red light goes out then it immediately comes back on.

Could it be another bad board?

Where are you getting the Boards? The problem Atwood had 2 or 3 years ago was they had no way to make 100% sure that the suspect boards were returned from vendors. That means dishonest people could get a hold of the suspect boards for almost nothing and then sell on the Internet or E bay. Most would work just fine a few times. We made sure we returned and purged our stock when Atwood had the problem and had Atwood send us the untainted replacement boards for our stock. You leave the switch ON. Disconnect the module plug from the board and plug in to test at the water heater. Doug

First board came from PDX in Oregon, second board came from Amazon.
The first board is Version D and the second is Version E. So something changed I guess.
What are you referring to when you say โ€œplug in to testโ€. What do I plug in?

Update:
Installed first new board, new ECO and Thermostat and new wire harness.
Water Heater fired off and is working as designed. Going to cycle it a few times to confirm operation.
New wire harness eliminates the small plug adapter and both the old ECO and Thermostat tested good on the bench.
Only time will tell.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
fyrflie wrote:
dougrainer wrote:

When you turn the switch on, it goes directly to lock out. Red light goes out then it immediately comes back on.

Where are you getting the Boards? The problem Atwood had 2 or 3 years ago was they had no way to make 100% sure that the suspect boards were returned from vendors. That means dishonest people could get a hold of the suspect boards for almost nothing and then sell on the Internet or E bay. Most would work just fine a few times. We made sure we returned and purged our stock when Atwood had the problem and had Atwood send us the untainted replacement boards for our stock. You leave the switch ON. Disconnect the module plug from the board and plug in to test at the water heater. Doug

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
wa8yxm wrote:
If it lights normally then goes to lock out I'm guessing ECO.

Before, it would light and go through one complete cycle. Then as hot water was used, it would go into lock out.

Both the ECO and Thermostat test out fine.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it lights normally then goes to lock out I'm guessing ECO.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
dougrainer wrote:

That is just my luck.

Thank you for the confirmation and thanks to all others that have replied.
I truly appreciate it.

Scott

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
fyrflie wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
Go have a look at the connector that plugs into the circuit board.
The connectors should have a bow shape. Use a dental pick and make sure the connectors are bowed and springy.

Your connection at the ECO has to be good or the water heater would not have fired when switched on. Power from ECO goes to gas solenoids.

I found this issue several years ago and then again last month while snow birding at Quartzsite. I had the very same symptoms as you, red light and lockout.

Richard

I will go look now.
Thanks for the reply.

Scott

I checked the connector and all is good. I turned the water heater on and it went directly to lock out. Turned it off then back on and the water heater lit off as designed. I will let it cycle and see what happens.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
RLS7201 wrote:
The connectors should have a bow shape. Use a dental pick and make sure the connectors are bowed and springy.

Your connection at the ECO has to be good or the water heater would not have fired when switched on. Power from ECO goes to gas solenoids.

I found this issue several years ago and then again last month while snow birding at Quartzsite. I had the very same symptoms as you, red light and lockout.

Richard

I will go look now.
Thanks for the reply.
Scott

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tried to turn on the water heater and it went directly to lock out mode.(Red light on).
I tested both the Thermostat and ECO while in lock out mode. Both have continuity.

Using the Atwood ( Intermittent Ignition Information Guide), I followed all of the procedures listed.
Following the Potted Channel Circuit Board test procedure, I tested each track as specified.
The Power track and Lamp track both returned a reading of 1478 using a continuity tester.
The valve track had no continuity.

So, can I assume that the board is bad? or should I be looking elsewhere ?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson