cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ANY ONE USE SOLAR CHARGER WITH LITHIUM

Rmcgrath53
Explorer
Explorer
Talked to a rep for lithium battery store and said with my Morningstar controller, I can set algorithm to charge their battery. They said they are coming out with a high amp hour that will drop into smaller space. Has anyone done this?
2008 keystone Everest 345s re
2002 F350 4x4 7.3 diesel crew cab dually. 135,000 miles extra leafs.
Banks stinger/ with an edge attitude set at tow
prodigy 3p curt 20k hitch
trail air suspension trail air pinbox
2 e2000 honda w parralel kit
560 watts solar
9 REPLIES 9

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
BroncosFan wrote:
Rmcgrath53,
Just google technomadia lithium
X2, great read!

Almot, you would DECREASE the battery bank size with LI not increase because they can go lower in SOC. Some say 90% DOD but others say 80% DOD gets more cycle life. I would go no further than 80% but your BMS would prevent accidental overdischarges anyways.

smkettner wrote:
My resources say store Li-ion closer to 30% to 50%. For long life you don't even go 100%. If you charge near max the energy should be used shortly. Keep them cool. Verify with manufacturer as there are many sub-chemistries in Li batteries.

This from electric vehicle best practices.

Found this reading:
http://www.roguepowertech.com/documents/ChargingLiIon.pdf
Thanks for the link. I read that as long as they don't self discharge into the dead battery zone, they're fine. I also read not to charge to 100% cause it's tricky getting there. 97% is easier.

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Rmcgrath53,
Just google technomadia lithium

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
The need to change the controller settings is a huge drawback indeed :). Probably takes whole 5 or 10 minutes, including reading the manual. That is - if your controller allows such an adjusting, because basic low-cost units often won't let you disable the Float and temp compensation.

Marc at Rogue knows his stuff. I only think that there is less than 3 times price difference between AGM and flooded. Unless you buy Lifeline, it's more like 30-40% difference.
Li - don't know, AGM was a purchase big enough for me. Not looking forward to spending few times more and/or increase the bank due to higher charge density of Li. My solar keeps AGM bank of 300 AH full every day.

Where Marc says about optional dataport that is needed to change the settings - this is only for their 20A model MPPT 2024. 30A model MPPT 3048 is programmed right on the box, as it should. Just push the buttons.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
My resources say store Li-ion closer to 30% to 50%. For long life you don't even go 100%. If you charge near max the energy should be used shortly. Keep them cool. Verify with manufacturer as there are many sub-chemistries in Li batteries.

This from electric vehicle best practices.

Found this reading:
http://www.roguepowertech.com/documents/ChargingLiIon.pdf

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
No float. You don't float LI batts. Just charge them up and leave them disconnected. Hopefully your battery management system (BMS) auto-disconnects the charging source when they're full (another advantage). Also, they don't need to be fully charged when stored either. As long as they stay above 90% DOD, they're good (they still self discharge but at a rate less than or about the same as AGMs).

Rmcgrath53
Explorer
Explorer
I was wondering what are the advantage of lithium over lead beside price.. 1) discharge way longer, 2) recharge much faster 3)way less weight. 4) last 10 time longer. Disadvantages are 1) price is very expensive compared to lead batteries.2) have to reprogram your controller.3) Smart battery is prone to go bad in EMP detonation , along with your solar panel may fry during an advent like that.
560 watts solar

Rmcgrath53
Explorer
Explorer
EsoxLucius wrote:
Reed Cundiff

Thanx for the site.
560 watts solar

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you need to talk with someone with a direct link to OEM engineering. Not just an applications engineer (educated salesman) but a genuine engineer. Note I said link and direct. If a battery manufacturer is responsible they will provide comprehensible information as to the charging protocol. Something you can understand and relate to. Be prepared to ask for their published information regarding care and maintenance of their product. I somehow doubt you will run into a snag on your quest. Good luck.

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Reed Cundiff
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot