cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Any under chassis mounted generators?

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
I am not sure what section to ask this question but can I get any suggestions on a diesel generator mounted in the place of a spare tire?

We built a sprinter van conversion several years ago and I had considered installing a diesel genset but then sold the van before I got that far.

We now have a truck camper w/o a generator and I am interested in installing a diesel generator on my truck. But I am having trouble finding many options. I did find a Powertech PT-3SV2 but not even sure if it is still made??

Any advice?

Thanks,
Phil
2000 American Coach 45' Heritage
8 REPLIES 8

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
I think once you find a way to easy carry EU3000 you will not look farther.
I am diesel freak, but bought that generator about 10 years ago and can't find anything even close to its performance. Quiet, runs AC for over 12 hr on single tank and start on 1st, max 2nd pull. Never bother to install factory battery for starting.
On my Superduty I mounted front hitch and platform that carried not only generator, but extra fuel, water and firewood.
Not too cosmetic, but very convenient.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder if the Powertech generator mentioned above might fit under the truck. It isn't cheap, around $7000, and if you run it dry, you will have Hell to pay re-priming it, but it is relatively quiet, reliable, and works well with diesel.

If I were doing a diesel Sprinter build, this definitely would be something I would get. However, I'd get the dimensions and see if it might fit under the pickup, factoring room for the fuel line, wiring, and exhaust.

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks guys!...I found a great deal on ebay today for the Honda EU3000...just decided to go ahead and buy one so we have it set up for summer. I will probably keep up my search for a good used enclosed diesel unit (since my truck is diesel) to mount under the truck.

Thanks,
Phil

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
The OP is looking for an undermount diesel generator for his truck- not Sprinter. It's just that the small diesel sets are most likely made for the Sprinter, but you can use the elsewhere.
For cheap Diesel sets- they are out there for $1-2K for a 5k-65kw set. Open frame cheaper, enclosed a bit more.
-- Chris Bryant

HadEnough
Explorer
Explorer
I feel like I just answered this last night, but here goes...

You can keep your spare and mount your generator on a Sprinter forward of the spare. Generator is better protected forward as well. Won't scrape the ground on funky ramps.

On my sprinter conversion, I was able to easily mount the following generator (gas and cheap) in that location with no modification.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_709_709

Ran my fuel line, ran exhaust to the edge of the body and used it for 3 summers to run air conditioning nearly every day, 10 hours a day, plus for battery charging on winters. Full timer living, that was my source of power.

Many, many hours later, it still runs, even though I sold the Sprinter.

Fits perfectly forward of the spare in the next "box" forward.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That goes parallel with my search for affordable diesel pushmower.
Don't think the linked generator with 260lb and $6,380 price tag qualifies.
The 3600 W propane , inverter generator in my camper weights 80 lb

meleavingsoon
Explorer
Explorer
Chris Bryant wrote:
Onan used to make a small diesel, but all I can find now is this under floor 3kw model- never heard of CK Power though.

I think that is the same unit...sure looks like it.

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Onan used to make a small diesel, but all I can find now is this under floor 3kw model- never heard of CK Power though.
-- Chris Bryant