cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone familiar with or have a Victron MultiPlus-II inverter

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We are looking into replacing our GoPower IC3000 inverter with the Victron model on the subject line.
Reason: the GoPower only monitors and controls load sharing on Line 1.
It is my understanding that the Victron does this on both lines of 50 amp service but calls it "assist". Does it come with or is a control/monitor panel (for settings, etc) available for the RV interior?
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah
36 REPLIES 36

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Cptnvideo wrote:
Stir, for us, microwave, res fridge, 1 A/C, etc are on Line 2. When we boondock, we have pretty much a constant 20 amp draw from the batteries. This is mainly the fridge. The fridge is frost free, so a heater likely turns on from time to time. (I haven't figured out how to turn it off.) I could assume 2 amps shore on Line 2 for the fridge when I want to power share but you know what happens when you assume.
BTW, 1 A/C is on Line 2, the other 2 are on Line 1.
Also, we are fulltimers and split our time between boondocking, friends/relatives and RV Parks.

ya I can see why you would want that haha, what kinda of solar / battery bank are you running if you are able to boondock using that much power.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
Stir, for us, microwave, res fridge, 1 A/C, etc are on Line 2. When we boondock, we have pretty much a constant 20 amp draw from the batteries. This is mainly the fridge. The fridge is frost free, so a heater likely turns on from time to time. (I haven't figured out how to turn it off.) I could assume 2 amps shore on Line 2 for the fridge when I want to power share but you know what happens when you assume.
BTW, 1 A/C is on Line 2, the other 2 are on Line 1.
Also, we are fulltimers and split our time between boondocking, friends/relatives and RV Parks.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Cptnvideo wrote:
StirCrazy, first you have a 50 amp RV. Then, plugged into 15,20 or 30 amp shore power. Then your load would be a little more than shore power provides, therefore necessitating load sharing.
Since GoPower (in all their wisdom) does not monitor or take into account the current draw on Line 2, you must know the current draw on Line 2 and take that into account when setting the incoming current limit.
I have the capability to provide additional power from my solar and battery system, so why not use it. In other words, I can run 2 A/C units while on 15 amp service, but I need to know current draw on both legs and limit accordingly.

ya I got a 50 amp but the way I camp I have probabaly never used it as I am either plugged into 50 amp (only have 1 ac) or Im running of the batteries and solar so I have never been in the situation to use the load sharing part.

so I guess for me, I would only have to know the current of the leg the ac is on to do that since I only have 1? and if that so I could do that if I ever desired I guess...
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
From a post by TechWriter, it appears the Victron shows the combined current draw of the 2 lines. I don't know how their load sharing works which they call "load assist".

I'm no power user, so here is a source I used for Multiplus II eval & install . . .

Multiplus II Performance & Install โ€“ Power Assist explained

Multiplus II Dynamic Current Limiting
2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35โ€™ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41โ€™ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31โ€™ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Well since my ProSine 2.0 pass-thru inverter (with ATS) is not a true โ€˜load sharingโ€™ type, this is a little bit off topic, except just to say that the inverter cut-in voltage parameter is programmable but has a default setting of 108vโ€ฆSo this kinda brings into question, โ€˜on what parameters does a synchronized load sharing inverter workโ€™??

3 tons

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
That's good to know, tuna.
I would be monitoring voltage and current anyway because, well, that's what I do.
My DW thinks I'm a little anal when it comes to our solar setup. ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo,

On the Magnum with load support active, voltage can and does drop. Hence I monitor the voltage. It only matters for motors in items such as the air conditioner.

I do go to one location every year were the line voltage unloaded is 100 volts. If I use the autoformer, I can run the roof air. If I don't use it, then I can't.

My brother's cottage has a similar issue but not quite as bad. Unloaded voltage is about 117. Under load that drops a LOT. (I don't remember the exact numbers, but I definitely need the autoformer if I wish to run the roof air.) The shore power is a 50 amp plug, so there is no lack of amperage.

I do use the autoformer when using electric heat as output varies by the square of loaded voltage.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
pianotuna wrote:
Cptnvideo,

Running two roof air units--I'd be monitoring the voltage. I start load shedding at 107 volts. (i.e. turn the air conditioner off)

Why??
In my example on 15 amps shore power, about 13 amps would come from shore and about 5 amps would come from inverter (50 ah from fully solar charged batteries during the hottest part of the afternoon).

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cptnvideo,

Running two roof air units--I'd be monitoring the voltage. I start load shedding at 107 volts. (i.e. turn the air conditioner off)
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
StirCrazy, first you have a 50 amp RV. Then, plugged into 15,20 or 30 amp shore power. Then your load would be a little more than shore power provides, therefore necessitating load sharing.
Since GoPower (in all their wisdom) does not monitor or take into account the current draw on Line 2, you must know the current draw on Line 2 and take that into account when setting the incoming current limit.
I have the capability to provide additional power from my solar and battery system, so why not use it. In other words, I can run 2 A/C units while on 15 amp service, but I need to know current draw on both legs and limit accordingly.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
StirCrazy wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
StirCrazy, I apologize if I insulted you. However that is exactly what you did when you basically said I didn't know the product I owned. You implied that I was stupid.

sorry if it came accross that way, I should have asked where did you find this out as I wanted to look at it also. I was under the asumption it did monitor both legs.

so my next question, how does this affect us and why are we concerned about it, I have been blisfully ignorant of it for years, should I even be worried about it now?
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
Cptnvideo wrote:
StirCrazy, I apologize if I insulted you. However that is exactly what you did when you basically said I didn't know the product I owned. You implied that I was stupid.

sorry if it came accross that way, I should have asked where did you find this out as I wanted to look at it also. I was under the asumption it did monitor both legs.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
Will it display amps for both Line 1 and Line 2?

ours will... on a display to my phone. it requires a dongal device
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
From a post by TechWriter, it appears the Victron shows the combined current draw of the 2 lines. I don't know how their load sharing works which they call "load assist".
I should have done more research instead of relying on the installer's advice. But I assumed they knew best.