cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Attaching Solar Trickle Charge to RV Cover

bdawson_goodsam
Explorer
Explorer
I want to keep my trailer covered in storage AND I want to keep my batteries charged without having to lug them to and from storage. Wondering what methods, if any, folks have used to attach solar panels to their RV covers while in storage.

Thanks in advance!
Bob Dawson
Production Director
Good Sam Media & Events
Oxnard, Calif.
2015 Starcraft Travel Star 207RB/2015 RAM EcoDiesel
Websites:
http://www.trailerlife.com
http://www.motorhome.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/TrailerLifeDIYTV
16 REPLIES 16

DAWg134
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:

Another potential downside is that you may not have ANY magnetic material in the shell of your RV. Mine is all aluminum and fiberglass except for the front fenders and the bumpers.

Yeah, in that case you'd have to attach some steel discs to your RV's shell, using VHB tape or simply screwing them in place. Alternatively, in the past I've also attached my panels by placing additional magnets on the inside of the windshield. That actually worked well, but proved to be unnecessary as placement of the panel on the hood was more than adequate to keep the batteries charged, even during periods of sustained inclement weather.

Since the magnets on the panel would automatically be attracted to the steel plates, the size of the plates wouldn't have to be very large - 1-inch diameter ought to be sufficient. If that wasn't inconspicuous enough, the plates could be painted to match the RV's exterior. Placement of the metal discs is easy enough - just place them on the panel's magnets, remove the backing from the VHB, then hang the panel on the selected surface(s) of the RV.

As far as procuring circular plates, steel washers would work just fine. For something without a hole in the middle, you could saw off the appropriate thickness of round steel bar stock or simply Google "steel circular plates" for numerous pre-fabricated discs of various sizes.

If none of those approaches suit you, try contacting Mexicowanderer and see whether he might be willing to sell you a few of his aluminum magnets. :W

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Betcha my aluminum magnet would work. Heck it sticks to my Transparent Aluminum windows!

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
DAWg134 wrote:

The only downside is that you may have to periodically clean off an inexplicable accumulation of iron particles from the magnet .........

Another potential downside is that you may not have ANY magnetic material in the shell of your RV. Mine is all aluminum and fiberglass except for the front fenders and the bumpers.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

DAWg134
Explorer
Explorer
I attach my temporary-mount solar panels to the RV using powerful neodymium magnets. Simply use 3M VHB tape to permanently attach the magnets to the panel, then use another piece of VHB tape to mount a piece of thin rubber to the opposite side of the magnet. This allows you to attach the solar panel directly to the body as well as on top of the cover without marring the paint. I attach one solar panel on the hood, facing west, and a second identical panel on the side of the RV, facing south.

The number of magnets required will depend upon the weight of your panel(s) and the type of magnet you select. I use six 1" diameter x 1/4" thick N42 disc magnets I purchased online from K&J Magnetics. I see that they now carry N52 magnets as well.

N52 Magnets are $7.70 apiece, but each one is capable of "lifting" 33 pounds axially.

The only downside is that you may have to periodically clean off an inexplicable accumulation of iron particles from the magnet to prevent them from rusting and discoloring either your cover or the vehicle's paint. Apparently, there is an infinitesimal amount of iron suspended in the air - possibly from brake discs or drums.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you can park the trailer facing south, Mount the solar panels on the tong, (Not under the cover) NOTE: make sure the mount is secure so they do not grow legs.. Be sure to use a proper charge controller as well..

When you go on the road, you can use other options

Can't park facing south.. Well park the solar panels on the rear, again make sure they are very securly attached. Or you can pole mount 'em if the facility allows. If you have a long term slot, use a socketd pole (IE: Look at Sunsetter flagpoles for what I'm talking about) you can take the pole with you and fly the flag come July 4.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wilanddij
Explorer
Explorer
Disconnect the batts when the RV is covered. House batts will totally disconnect using the switch. Chassis battery needs to be physically disconnected to avoid rundown by parasitic draws. Most physical battery disconnets can be easily installed into the ground side of the battery.
Will & Di
2004 Southwind 32VS
Workhorse/8.1
Ford C-Max/Blue Ox
"We have met the enemy, and he is us" Pogo

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
Extremely high tech solution. Place honorable door mat between roof and cover. When the cover comes off so does the panel. And the power wire. And the cable tie mounting clips. White Velcro swatches looks bad on a rolled up cover? Covers last ten years? Velcro is expensive? Or is it for aesthetics a little redwood house with shingles for the panel? In an RV storage lot.

BTW Camarillo, California must then equal say Mt Washinton, New Hampshire, for high wind?

Somebody be beucoup unclear on the concept...

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
MEXICOWANDERER wrote:
"and make a single stake or double stack that goes into the ground and attach it there"

Unfortunately in many cases...

Be sure to affix a comfortable high-speed handle on it...

Apparently mexicowanderer isn't capable at building something that requires a little bit of skill just slap it together with tape, And Velcro.

Let's no try to make it look like we care about our rigs in the off season as well as when in use.

Covers are expensive why attach something to it to wear it out faster, or to have the unit bang around in the wind and damage something.

But to each his own. Just a suggestion
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Attaching to cover? What cover? There is hardly anything that adheres well to Poly tarp. Besides, the tarp itself (and most cheap "covers") don't last long in heavy winds. Attaching anything to it will create stress points and it will last shorter yet.

When I needed to attach a small trickle charger - 2.5W panel - to my truck covered with tarp, I tied it to antenna. Had to make a hole for antenna anyway. It's not about keeping vehicle totally protected from humidity - tarp only has to protect from direct sun and shed "some" rain water off. Stake in the ground would work, though depending on location it might be safer to keep it somewhere high.

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
"and make a single stake or double stack that goes into the ground and attach it there"

Unfortunately in many cases...

Be sure to affix a comfortable high-speed handle on it...

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
I would say get a good solar charger and make a single stake or double stack that goes into the ground and attach it there.

This.
I too had a less than desirable experience with a cloth cover for a few months last "winter".

Anyone in Florida want a cover for a small 5th wheel.
Free if you pick it up. Only a few small holes in it.
Only used once.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

bdawson_goodsam
Explorer
Explorer
I'm liking the response from MEXICOWANDERER. It used to be you could do anything with duct tape and bungee cords. Gotta add hook and loop ... Thanks!
Bob Dawson
Production Director
Good Sam Media & Events
Oxnard, Calif.
2015 Starcraft Travel Star 207RB/2015 RAM EcoDiesel
Websites:
http://www.trailerlife.com
http://www.motorhome.com
https://www.youtube.com/c/TrailerLifeDIYTV

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
I would say get a good solar charger and make a single stake or double stack that goes into the ground and attach it there.

On the cover would worry me as the one I had on my camper, even nice and tight move a bit, would leave or eventually wear through and leave marks on the camper wherever you placed it.

Just from the winter winds it wore through the gutter spouts and that was after removing the extensions on them too.

After thought of its a pavement lot get one of the flag pole mounts that go under a tire and make something up to go in there. Then you can place on either side and adjust it to get the most light on the charger.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system

MEXICOWANDERER
Explorer
Explorer
The magic answer....

Hook and Loop fabric swatches

Glued to the cover with

GOOP adhesive

2" squares patterned every 4" will allow the Velcro to grip the panel tight enough for 50 mph wind yet not become a nightmare when removing the panel from the cover.

Same for cable tie mounting pads. 1/2" square swatches are enough to hold 1-1/2" cable tie pads. Black or white Velcro won't interfere with rolling up the cover and they look pretty good.

You need to use solar panel WIRE to prevent the sun's UV rays from toasting the wire insulation. WEATHER PACK terminals to make a bulletproof sealed disconnect at the panel if you wish.